Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Funky Ferndale Smell « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 910
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night, I awoke at 3 am to a pungent odor that permeated throughout my home. After a thorough inspection from attic to basement, nothing unusual was found. I stepped outside to see if anything was unusual, and noticed that the odor was very strong. I checked the front yard and back, but couldn't find anything to explain the smell. Concerned, I called Ferndale Police Department to ask if there had been any other reports of this odor. They said there wasn't, but they would send someone out to check the situation. After an hour's time, the odor dissipated and I was able to return to a fitful sleep. I will describe the smell as a cross between a vacuum cleaner belt burning, and throwing up in your mouth. Any other Ferndilians noticed this strange odor last night?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3036
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in Ferndale do you live? There are some industrial places that could have vented something.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 911
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9 and allen, lilpup. The air was completely still and very humid, so I don't think it came from the industrial area near Hilton. The smell was oddly unique and I would characterize it more as biological than chemical.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 414
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe an animal or something (like a bird) got caught in your vents and died.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 912
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gave your idea some thought Detroitrise, but it turned up clean. The birds lost some habitat last week when we removed some vines from the house. The smell however, was in the still air outside. I wish I had a way to capture it.

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 799
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gas leak?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, it smelled like the Detroit incinerator on a cold day? Grody.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet,

When was your last shower? :-)

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about sewer gas. We haven't had a real heavy rain so it's possible the sewer just burped on the composting Fall leaves which have fallen through the drains.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 914
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'll just forget this whole thing happened...

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dirty hippies?

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been a sewer gas smell throughout Ferndale the last few weeks. I have no idea what the reason is. I've lived there for 3 years now and this is the first time I've experienced it.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 917
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's the elections on Tuesday. You know how bad politicians’ B.S. can get

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.