Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Weird night « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I was fast asleep last night about 3 a.m. when I heard voices right outside and realized they weren't coming from the street, but either my driveway or yard. I stuck my head out the window and saw several flashlight beams from neighboring backyards, then a guy jumped the fence into my yard. They were talking loudly (not yelling) and it was all "I think he went over here" and such.
I went downstairs to the back door and opened it to the screen (maybe not the wisest thing in retrospect, but from their flashlights and choice of vocabulary it seemed they weren't knuckleheads or Halloween pranksters.)
There were six Detroit cops scurrying around my backyard with flashlights, looking in my car windows, and my garage door was wide open. I was too asleep to be freaked out. I must have been standing there watching for about two minutes before one of them saw me, and came up all breathless and asked if I'd seen anyone run through here, and if I'd left my garage door open. I said no, and the garage door definitely wasn't open before. He said they were looking for a black kid in a gray hoodie with a gun, and if you see him call 911, and you don't have to say anything. Right then they heard "we got him" on their radios from another cop across the street and they ran off. I yelled "thanks" as they ran down my driveway.
I looked in front and there must have been 6 police cars within sight, and a couple more cruised by right afterwards. All I could think was, wow, either this kid was really dangerous, or maybe we don't have the problem with police response that some would say. Or maybe since I'm in East English Village (one of the Next Detroit neighborhoods) that they really do give the address a priority.
Even after waking up and thinking about it, I'm not freaked out, I'm not scared to live there, I'm grateful that so many cops responded and got the punk.
Any thoughts?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10835
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overall, I'm happy you weren't sleeping in a gray hoodie...things could've turned out differently.

Yeah, it's good they were on the track of the fellow...nothing missing from your garage, apparently?!

Diehard

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'know, I didn't even think to check the garage. I just closed it and went back to bed. We DO have a nice lawnmower... which I probably would've heard being dragged away.

btw, gray hoodie or not, there's little possibility I'd be mistaken for a black youth trying to escape the po-po. *whew*

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 686
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.... That must've been a bit surreal

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first thoughts is that the cops weren't cops at all and you were about to meet the grim reaper.

Guns schmuns.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in EEV. May I ask whereabouts? What cross-streets?

My wife got into a minor car accident in EEV about a year ago and the Ambulance team that arrived said you shouldn't wait for the police, go to the sation. The police arrived about five minutes later.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3906
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad that turned out alright, Diehard. And glad that the event in itself doesn't make you want to resent your neighborhood, as it might for some other people.

EEV is kind of a dark neighborhood with alot of hiding places, like the residential areas in Grosse Pointe. On the other hand, there are a lot of eyes and ears there. And, apparently, good policing.

Diehard

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure where it started out, but I'm on Grayton near Berden, and the cops were jumping fences from the yards on Bishop from what I could see.
I've got nothing bad to say about the police response in EEV. They've always been right on the scene and taking care of business. Of course, we only call when there's something worth calling about, not over stupid neighbor disputes or barking dogs or whatnot. And we're always polite, not hysterical or abusive. I'm sure that makes a difference.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10836
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, gotta save that stuff for the meter monsters.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10661
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While not related another good report of the men and women in DPD:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071101/U PDATE/711010495

DETROIT -- Two police officers on patrol today in the city's Western District were in the right place, along Dexter Avenue, at the right time, 11:05 a.m., when they were flagged down by a merchant reporting an armed robbery

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Convention Bureau Advertisement:
Live work play in Detroit, not a single day without excitement!
Tenant 9 in the Detroit living Bible: Lock thy garage!

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on Harvard right around Berden and I heard 12 gunshots (2 different guns) around 3 AM. I heard police sirens within 2 minutes. Perhaps this is related?

Diehard

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That had to be it (god, I hope so! Two in one night WOULD freak me out!) It's strange that I didn't hear the gunshots though, especially so close by. Did you call 911? If so, thanks for what could have saved my life and a few others last night.!

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely called 911. I was very pleased to hear sirens within a minute of hanging up. It's intriguing; I am probably right behind you and I didn't hear any commotion other than the initial gunshots.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.