Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Dumbest thing I've read, courtesy the Oakland Co Sheriff « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071101/NEWS01/ 71101042

quote:

An inmate wearing handcuffs attached to a belly chain is on the run from the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office after escaping this morning in Detroit, Undersheriff Michael McCabe said. A sheriff’s office deputy had gone to the Detroit Police Department’s Northwest District to pick up one inmate, but learned he had to take two others, McCabe said.

Two inmates were placed in the back of an unmarked police vehicle; the third was placed in the front seat. The back doors of the vehicle don’t open from the inside, McCabe said, but the front door does. The inmate, who is wanted on a drug-related probation violation, opened the door and ran.

His legs were not shackled, McCabe said.

Wow. Just...wow.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?"

Ulysses Everett McGill, "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we should try this instead?

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is dumber

Fun after church

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3514
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that would be good...for a guy on drug-related probation.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3334
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, Mccarch, what an @$$#0!E that guy was. Ramming into a parade of children because he is impatient? How do people like that exist?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry. I was in a hurry. ;)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10648
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sure. Anyone who disagrees with the lib line is called a bigot on this forum pretty much daily, no biggee.

If you're comfortable with that keep telling yourself that is the reason. This is were you say that you have gay friends.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shit happens

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there something missing here?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheddar--
PerfectGentleman made what he thought was a funny comment and after he got jumped upon, promptly deleted it.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4706
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I didn't delete it, the admin must have. Maybe I am about to get banned.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who cares? what does greatlakes know about law enforcement, transporting of prisoners, and the specifics of this incident - to the extent that it's the "dumbest thing she's (he's) read?" her (his) additional commentary that it's "courtesy [of] oakland co sheriff" suggests an agenda here - especially since the officer, according to the article,

quote:

had gone to the Detroit Police Department’s Northwest District to pick up one inmate, but learned he had to take two others, McCabe said.

note that the sole responsibility for this so-called "dumb" act rests solely with o.c. sheriff.

greatlakes, you credibility is on probation.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5628
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG, no you're not getting banned... you'd be warned first. We just brought some Non-Detroit Issues type of comments here to where the grown ups post! :-)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "dumbest" part refers to this:

quote:

Two inmates were placed in the back of an unmarked police vehicle; the third was placed in the front seat. The back doors of the vehicle don’t open from the inside, McCabe said, but the front door does. The inmate, who is wanted on a drug-related probation violation, opened the door and ran.

His legs were not shackled, McCabe said

i.e. a law enforcement officer put an inmate in the front seat of a car that could be opened from the inside, and so sure enough that's what the guy did.

The reference to the Oakland Co. Sheriff was just to provide additional details about the contents of the OP in the title...and yes, I put "courtesy [of]" as well because they are the agency responsible for this incident, which I think is pretty ridiculous, but apparently not, since I don't know all the details of prisoner transport.

Did someone think this was an attack on Detroit/DPD or something asinine like that?

(Message edited by GreatLakes on November 01, 2007)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funniest line I ever heard from a prisoner.

About 1971 my partner and I, working the 10th precinct Detective Bureau, had to go to Kalamazoo to pick up a prisoner we had a warrant for. Got there and got our man. Handcuffed and in the back seat, me sitting with him.

Passing through Jackson, he noted a MacDonalds and said, "Want a Big Mac? I'm buying."

We declined the offer, but it kind of ripped us up.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

greatlakes, thanks for your response.

you suggest the "dumbest part" refers to this:

quote:

but - what about this???

quote:

A sheriff’s office deputy had gone to the Detroit Police Department’s Northwest District to pick up one inmate, but learned he had to take two others, McCabe said.

i'm really curious about the communication breakdown, regarding the expectation that the deputy would be transporting one prisoner, instead of three. and i wonder why the deputy agreed to, or felt compelled to, load all three detainees. he could have transported three, two, one, or zero prisoners. we don't know who gave the order to transport all three, or the rationale for that decision.

and who knows, maybe this is a routine protocol that ordinarily has worked well, and had justifiable risk (petty offender/low flight risk?)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.