Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Halloween roll call « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got home at quarter after 6 and there was lots of kids out all ready. I had 84 kids all told until I shut the lights out at quarter to 8 in Hazel Park. I was passing out half dollar coins.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a door but from my window on Livernois I saw lots of Children and parents before the rain started.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they all hit the suburbs! My son and his family live in Roseville. They gave out over 500 pieces of candy...mostly one at a time. And there aren't that many kids in their neighborhood. There were carloads driving in and parking...kids got out and went treat or treating...then the cars were gone.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3667
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North of Utica: only 15 kids, still a 67% increase over last year! :-)

(It's an older neighborhood.)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in woodbridge over 200 kids ad some bastard bums

Limafin
Username: Limafin

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I stopped and bought 3 bags of candy and got 0 knocks....Oh well...more candy for me (-:

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He obviously lives in a different Hazel Park neighborhood. I got about 5 visits at my door.In the 5 years I've been at this house thats been about the average. I also saw a few costumed kids walking down the sidewalk that didn't stop at any houses.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in wayne where i live, my girlfriend gave out 120 freezerpops. that was down from last year. i my self had 5, that was at work good thing i had candy.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

half-dollars and freezerpops? thanks but no thanks, i'll take the cracker jacks instead

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we had lots and lots of local kids, as well as the imported ones by the van load. Ran out of candy right away. Ended with teenage girls with no costumes just holding their purse out saying "gimmie candy".

Jeez - at least dress up as "crazy one arm man" or something !

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10831
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hung out on Histeric's porch with his better half and their children...Corktown was jumping last night.

I was amazed by the number of Thank Yous from everyone, and the little ones being taught properly were the most adorable.

Lotsa beauty traipsing around the city last night.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2556
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here on our street in Royal Oak, it was another par for the course turnout...about 20 kids in all. Down a bit from past years. Still nice to see our neighborhood kids as they sprout!!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Hamtramck...

Gave candy to about 50-60 kids; seems like an increase over last year.

My gf and her daughter, who live with me in Hamtramck, went treating in Roseville, near grandma's house.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had about 30 kids stop at my girlfriends place in Island View. Pretty sad when you and the neighbors have to yell at the groups walking down the side streets that you have candy at a few houses on the block. All of the kids and parents were very polite and all had thank yous to offer.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were out trick-or-treating in Woodbridge and the streets were full of kids and cars transporting professional trick-or-treaters. The quality of candy was much improved this year.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a bunch for us, probably 40 to 50. There are sisters of my middle son's old girlfriend that we wait to see, give them all the candy and then shut it down.

I still can't believe that Halloween isn't like it was when I was a kid - a free for all, with no parents, no fear, just me and 3 or 4 neighbors running from house to house. We had a blast and stayed out all night.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of polite kids and parents in Corktown last night.

I went through 4 bags of candy in 45 minutes and had to turn my light out early.

If only we had a drugstore close by, I would have easily went through another 4 bags.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went through 735-ish (7 bags of 105 pieces) and ran out a little before 8pm handing out one to a kid. People on my block here in GP seriously love Halloween. We have a dj set up in the middle of the block playing halloween themed music (with some other stuff sprinkled in there) and most of the houses are all decked out in Halloween decorations. Usually the street is closed. Apparently there is feud going on and someone complained about that...but even though not 'officially' closed, it was closed by all the people milling about in the street. It's fun for the adults too. several neighbors came around with jello shots and other adult treats.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My little brother's neighborhood in SW near Mexicantown was pretty active. We saw a bunch of kids swarming through the neighborhoods along West Vernor. Not as many as last year but still quite a few. His grandmother's house had about 50 kids come by.

On a side note, her house is always one of those that goes all out with the decorations. She's the type of person Halloween USA was invented for. Thing is she is far from alone in her neighborhood. It seemed every block had a couple of houses that practically go overboard with the decorations. Although such campiness must make some people cringe, it sure made the holiday more fun for our group.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2922
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On our street in Royal Oak, we handed out candy to about 40 kids. We shut it down at 9 p.m. Great costumes, and well-behaved kids... even the teenagers.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably about 60-75 trick-or-treaters in Warrendale (Warren and Southfield.) Some real cute costumes and many "thank you"s and "happy halloween"s. We saw a lot of local kids as well as car and vanloads from other neighborhoods. Great fun!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3324
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a decent batch in Ferndale. Probably 40 or so. There was a good amount of imports via car as well, probably from R.O.T. My neighbor's kids across the street had the best costumes, and the best house decorations. They definitely won the title of family with most Halloween spirit in our neighborhood.

My favorite was a little girl, probably 5 or so, who said "Whoo! I've had a rough day! I dropped all my candy, and my light stick!"

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 580
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any of the 99 or so kids who came on my street last night got spooked by my wife and I. She would stand outside the porch near the bushes dressed in all black, hooded with black gloves and a black mask waving a lantern and pointing to the porch. I would be standing, waiting in the doorway with a very hideous, decrepid-old-man-looking mask that I have worn for many years. We played the Danny Elfman tune "This is Hallowe'en, This is Hallowe'en" song from Nightmare Before Christmas"....all night long. Some of the kids remember us from previous years and they still get spooked. Some of the little ones wouldn't even come on the porch without their parent. Then there were those who never came by before and got the shiznit scared out of them. My thing is this: If you expect me to put candy in your bag you have to stay on the porch! A lot of them didn't. Some screamed. One lady told me, "Please don't scare my baby!"
What I didn't like was the lady who was smoking a cigarette while taking her small child from house to house. Terrible example of parenting. When my kids came home from 'tricker-treating' they would give me the candy they didn't want and I would, in turn, pass it out to the little spidermen, witches, cowboys and monsters. One kid came dressed in a 3 piece suit and tie with a briefcase saying "I'm Barack Obama and I'm the next president." When The candy was gone we passed out toothbrushes. My wife gets a shit-load of sterile toothbrushes from her job. She's a Dental Assistant for what I call the "local traveling dental show". All in all there was a lot of fun had last night and some of it the kids had.
BOO!

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we had about 40-50 trick 'r treaters stop by here in Hamtramck.

I was glad my girlfriend picked up a bag of 150 pieces of candy. Many of the kids were so happy to have a house that gave that night.

It felt good to provide to the kids, I remember when I was a kid most houses in my neighborhood had their light on. We had it made. ;)

I think I saw only a couple of houses on my block giving away candy.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 253
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Im glad Halloween is alive and well.I bought 2 bags of Fun Size Snickers, giving out TWO to each person.I still had one piece left by the end of the night and never even started on the second bag. I was kind of bummed. I thought Halloween as I knew from my childhood was over.Nice to see it's still going strong.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ghoul, the man the myth the legend,
signing a rack at the Jefferson Yacht Club!

http://www.theghoul.com/index2.html
the 70's hippy dippy freak show on channel 50made an appearance from cleveland, same dude new channel man

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

our church does a trunk or treat in the parking lot...

NO traffic, NO freaks, a less secular edge to Halloween but still tons of cavity inducing treats...

they counted about 700 cars coming into the lot. there were about 75 cars and parents/older teens passing out candy...

i went thru 740 dum-dum suckers at a rate of 3-4 at a time...

d

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A co worker of mine here in Charlotte that grew up in Novi asked me how Devil's (angel's) night went this year. I told her that I hadn't heard anything but that I would look into it. I haven't really seen any news about it. Usually I recall the local media publishing the number of fires and police calls and what not from those few nights. Did they not do that this year?

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's some links to two articles about a lack of fires observed on "Angel's" Night this year. official numbers were to be released at the end of the week, but i couldn't find any other articles:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077103103 82

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077103104 64

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I guess that it is a good sign that one actually has to dig for articles about Angel's night these days.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.