Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Halloween Memories « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok so where are the stories of Halloween...real Carmel apples, popcorn balls with address, pillow case full of candies,,,,

Picking out Pumpkins at the at the Market on Whitter....kids and families ....

spooky house on landsdown with coffin in front yard...circa 1967

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here on the NW side, I did not see, or hear, any trick-or-treaters. Normally, we don't see a lot (less than 100,) but tonight? None. I don't get it.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My elementary school would have a Halloween parade around the neighborhood. Kids would get to wear a costume to school and we would go out around lunchtime. I'm sure my parents still have pix of that.
I also enjoyed making costumes rather than the store-bought ones. One year I was a robot. The body was an empty box covered in foil and my helmet was made out of an empty 5-gallon ice cream bucket covered with foil and a space cut out for my face. I wore gray sweatpants to complete the look.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my family lived in Huntington Woods..for a few years in the early 60's my mother would have each "trick or treater" in the kitchen for hot cocoa and donuts. I can still see her standing by the stove with the HUGE pot of cocoa and ladle. We were the most popular house in the neighborhood!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blueidone, your mother was cool.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine...yes, she was. I miss her every day. Our house was always the sanctuary for people who needed help. My "crazy" great aunt...my great uncle after he had a heart attack...my sister's friend who was having trouble with her parents.

I don't know how she did it...worked full time as a secretary for Chevrolet Engineering at the Tech Center...raised five kids...was a Women's League Golf Champion...and still found time for things like cocoa and donuts on Halloween.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/1769495804/

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the neighborhood kids on Three Mile Drive between Bremen and Waveney, two spinster sisters of German origin made gingerbread cookies in the shape of a pumpkin, each frosted orange with a green stem. We looked forward to them every Halloween. I can still taste them and feel the chewy texture!!

Down the street a couple blocks was a guy who gave out coin money...how much you got depended on how old you were and whether he recognized you from the neighborhood.

We used to go out trick or treating for about 4 hours, up and down the streets between Mack and Warren near Outer Drive We usually would have to make a couple stops back at the house to drop off our loot. Each of us kids easily had a couple of grocery bags full of candy by the end of the evening. And that haul would last us until well past Christmas!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

happy Halloween....thanks for the posts...I remember how it lost it's punch in Detroit in the 1970's but am glad to see it's revival ...we counted 300 kids...my dad would have to "inspect" the candy...code word for finding the good candy bars...he deserved that though...mom and her popcorn balls in the big bowl...we always waited to the lasy moment to carve get the pumpkin at the market....home made costumes ...skeleton (mom was a nurse so her detail ...)

Stingbeelee
Username: Stingbeelee

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my memories was that the house where Marvin Gaye lived would pass out records and dollar bills. By the time I would get there, they would not have any more records or dollars; I suspect that kids would go straight to the house right after school, I had to report home first.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope all had a fun, safe Halloween. My memory-our neighborhood theater-the Carlton(Fenkell at Ward Ave-later the Surf Cinema)used to have a costume contest & passed out popcorn balls to everyone. When they brought the contestants on stage for judging, all us kids in the audience would throw our popcorn balls at the stage. The mgr threatened to stop the contest & throw us out of the theater, Never did. I do miss seeing lots of kids going up & down the block trick or treating. Where I live now in the Dallas suburbs we only had a handful of kids come by the house. I guess parents nowadays are just too afraid which I understand but I still feel sorry for what memories their kids are missing out on.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember trying to see out of those hard plastic (vacu-formed) masks. The two little holes didn't always line up with you eyes.

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Redford Township just south of Fenkell in the 50s. We went to all the houses on the north side of Western Golf course, then went by the house to empty the goods, then head to the other side of the golf course. Geat times back then, and never any problems.

I think the 50-60s were some great years. We had most of the things that made life good, with very little of the bad stuff that we see now.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I got a rock."

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On North Elizabeth, in West Dearborn, this older couple in the neighborhood would make a totem pole out of large to small pumpkins with the best faces all lit up. You would walk up to the porch to look at it, and their crazy son would jump out of the bushes with a squirt gun and let us have it. Great fun!!

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 610
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a neighbor who dropped acorns in unsuspecting teenagers' bags. Says that "they are too old to be out trick or treating." I say that's why his spare tire was missing from his CRV yesterday morning.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.