Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » FIne Arts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitpharmstudent
Username: Detroitpharmstudent

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

theres been some scaffolding around the Fine Arts building for a few weeks now. anyone know whats up? i haven't found any threads related to this.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5609
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because the Ilitch owned Fine Arts Building has been neglected by them for over a decade, the wooden framed building needs to be torn down. Some of the interior supports have already started to collapse.

So what is being done is the facade is being saved, and the remainder of the wood framed building torn down... to be replaced with a steel framed new building behind the old facade.

The fate of the Adams Theatre auditorium (behind the back alley) has not been publicly stated.

The Fine Arts Building was built long before the Adams Theatre was built behind it, with the theatre lobby borrowed thru the existing building.

The Adams was an "alley jumper", where main floor patrons took an underground tunnel under the alley to get to their seats, and the balcony patrons took a 2nd level skywalk to get to their seats from the Fine Arts Building to the Adams auditorium.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2844
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You didn't look very hard. The forum's full of threads about the Fine Arts and ilitch's other buildings.

Here's the most recent.
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/117334.html?1193342865

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't cry if the Adams was demolished. It was just OK when new, then hopelessly remuddled over the years.

You gotta pick your battles.

Detroitpharmstudent
Username: Detroitpharmstudent

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive me Ndavies for I have sinned.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5626
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitpharmstudent... welcome to the forum!!

Don't feel bad about not using the forum search features... It's not at exactly user friendly...

I just did a search on Fine Arts... and didn't come up with anything in the results in the Archive since July 2006.

(Message edited by Gistok on November 01, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.