Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Seeking more Detroit history « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnamos
Username: Johnamos

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Great Great Grandfather was Ferdinand Amos.
He was an immegrant from Germany (At age 7) who became an Alderman in Wayne county (16th ward). He also was postmaster of Detroit and a friend/colleague of Hazen Pingree. He had a school at the corner of Military and Regular, named after him. He operated the "Amos House" at the corner of Junction and MCRR. Does anyone know anything of the school. The school was torn down in the 1960's I believe. I have 3 pictures and the cars at the curb were like 1960 vintage. Crane v. Amos was a decision by the Michigan supreme court regarding the annexhation of Springwells into Detroit in 1884. I suspect that Ferdinand may have been poisoned. He had many enemies including businesses in Springwells and the MCRR. He died very suddenly (as many people did then) under rather strange circumstances. He had powerful friends and it seems that if there were an inquirey into his death that there would be some record of it.

I am also interested in finding out about his youngest daughter b. 1891 (a stage and early television actress and well known Detroiter, Ruth Amos. She had a national CBS Radio show called the Ruth Amos hour, in the 40's. She acted in Detroit and New York and was part of the Vaugn Glaser group that toured. She later married Sheldon Hall.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum, John Amos!

From the 1908 Book of Detroiters, a listing for Charles Amos, son of Ferdinand:

AMOS, Charles Bristol, manufacturer ornamental brass, iron, wire, structural steel and iron work; born, Detroit, Aug. 25, 1871; son of Ferdinand and Martha (Bristol) Amos; educated in public schools and at Detroit Business College; married at Detroit, Aug. 24, 1896; Elizabeth J. Snook. Served apprenticeship as machine operator with Harvey Sons Co., Limited, 1888-91; employed by American Straw Board Co., Anderson, Ind., as paper machine operator, 1891, and in same year as bookkeeper for the Citizens’ Gas Co., Anderson; returned to Detroit as assistant teller Peninsular Savings Bank; entered manufacture of mineral water, 1892, later acting as commercial salesman; organized Charles Amos & Co., 1900, incorporated, Sept. 12, 1905, of which is president. Mason; member Maccabees. Club: Detroit Yacht. Recreations: Motoring, fishing and outdoor sports. Office: 94 Larned St., W. Residence: 766 Junction Av.

Source: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mi /county/tuscola/det/detalg-and .htm

Have you tried using the Burton Historical Collection at the main Detroit Public Library? They have a super collection of Detroit historical information, including newspaper clipping files. Sounds like your family may have been mentioned frequently in the local papers and so Burton should be a good source.

Johnamos

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of what I learned initially was from the Burton Society. I have been to the Downtown Library and seen what they have on my family and it is quite a bit. There were articles about Ferdinand's illness and about the tight race for his Alderman seat at the time of his death. I have seen the stuff about my father's great uncle Charles Bristol as well. I think Charles had an advantage from being a son of Ferdinand. Ferdinand had 3 living sons. One being my Great Grandfather Walter George who died at aget 25. the other son (other than Charles) ended up at the Pontiac State Hospital. I did not find anything at Burton relating to an investigation of Ferdinand's death.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the image from the 1900 U.S. Census report showing Ruth Amos and her widowed mother, Rose, living at 859 Monroe, in Detroit. Rose shows no occupation.

ruth

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....and here's Amos in the 1880 census. Living in Springwells Township, but it doesn't give the address in that year's census. Houseful of servants, also.

Johnamos

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the posts.

The 1880 Census was for Ferdinand and Wife and sons.
The hotel was the Amos House. At Junction and MCRR.
I presume that to be where the Michigan Central railroad tracks crossed Junction. I drove there two years ago. The tracks and the road are still there but not the Amos House.
The Amos House was previously the Pennsylvania house. At the time of the 1900 Census, Rose had just sold the Amos House. She took Ruth to New York about this time and eventually returned to marry a police captain named Snook. Ruth was "as I hear" the talk of the town in the 1910's through the 1940's. It was a big deal when she would return to Detroit for a theatre show. I have no idea where she is buried. But I know that she was still alive in 1963 when she gave consent for the burial of her 1/2 brother's widow's burial in the family plot at Woodmere. It surprises me a little bit that she did not end up there too. Other than that consent, I lose all track of her after the mid 1950's.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found the Amos School on the 1910 Sanborn map, Volume 5, sheet 40. I'd post the image here, but PS seems to be crashing on the maps today.

No sign of the hotel yet. Junction and MCRR is also the boundary between different Sanborn volumes, so without a better address, it will take searching through a few of them to find it, if ever.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this forum.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amos School, Detroit 1910

2 story, wood frame construction, it looks like, with a lot of empty lots around it on the other sides.

CS3 was working today. Found the Amos House from 1884, will post later.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

amos was in the 67/68 dps directory,good luck in your search. i should trace my old old detroit relatives.

Johnamos

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a picture of the old Amos school
The Amos School

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3516
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amos School from WSU/VMC

Johnamos

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, And everyone for that matter. Thank you so much. Where in the world did you find this picture?
This means a great deal to me. Thank you. Can you email me a higher resolution version of this image?
Johna@Detailtechnologies.com

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was the location of the Amos House, NNE of the GTWRR station. Sanborn 1884, vol 1, sheet 37b.

Amos House 1884 Springwells

Looks like three story, wood frame construction, with a single story wing along the track. Junction was known as Lover's Lane at that time. I don't think I've seen a photo of the GT station from that time and location, the Amos Hs might show up in the background of it.

It looks like that the Amos School was rebuilt since the 1910 map, from a 2 story wood, to 3 story brick building.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4543
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those Grand Trunk Junction tracks are all above grade today. Were those at grade then, and was the roadway lowered at that point, as it was at Clark Street, a few blocks to the east?

From its location, might the Amos House have been one of those ubiquitous railroad workers' flophouses/apartments located near the railroads a century ago?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3519
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John, school photo from Wayne State University, Virtual Motor City

Do a keyword search on "Amos".

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all i can say, is what a good looking school.

Johnamos

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it was a good looking school. I wonder why they tore it down. I also wonder what the circumstances or ceremony was when they named it after my gr gr grandfather. I did not even know it existed until a little over a year ago.

Johnamos

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The property upon which sat the Amos school.
Was purchased by the Detroit Public Schools on June 27th 1894, from Daniel and Elizabeth Scotten for
$5,000.
The original warranty deed is available for viewing at 3011 Fischer building on the corner of Boulevard and
Second.

I learned this information from Tim Webb from the DBOE 3011 W. Grand Blvd Room 1047
313-873-6170

I also learned (by a fax) That the school was demolished in 1976 in a land exchange with the city of Detroit.
It was constructed in 1895 and had an addition in 1908.

It was called Amos elementary at 1310 Military.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.