Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Fountain in Palmer Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the history on this Fountain.
Someone told me it was in front of one of the old Opera Houses.
Just wondering.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 790
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the Merrill Fountain.

WSU's Virtual Motor City has some really beautiful photos of it.

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Detroitstar you are so smart.
It should be move to in front of the OPera House.
on Madison....or somewhere...
The Merrill Fountain....how pretty

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 995
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, it used to be in Campus Martius.

I have some postcards of it there:
http://i152.photobucket.com/al bums/s164/rhymeswithrawk/Detro it%20postcards/Monuments%20and %20Fountains/palmer2.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/al bums/s164/rhymeswithrawk/Detro it%20postcards/Monuments%20and %20Fountains/palmer.jpg

Lizzie Merrill Palmer dedicated it in 1901 to her father, lumberman Charles Merrill. Lizzie was married to a prominent senator, Thomas Palmer, and they donated land which became Palmer Park. In the 1920s, with the rise of the automobile, it was moved there to lighten traffic congestion downtown. The fountain has sat empty for decades. I've seen pictures of it in the late 1960s sitting dry. Granted, those could have been photos taken during the winter when it was drained. I'm sure some of the others on DY could tell you when they stopped filling it.
That leads to a question: If a fountain never has water, is it still a fountain? Hmm...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5603
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Pussygirl313... it should be moved back downtown.

Originally constructed in 1901, it was located in Campus Martius where the entrance to the Compuware HQ is located today.

It was moved to Palmer Park in 1926 where it has been a neglected piece of ornament that has not worked as a fountain in a long time. I don't even know if it ever functioned as a fountain in Palmer Park.

My personal preference is that it be moved back downtown to an appropriate site, such as to the middle of Capitol Park and turned back into a working fountain. It would make a great centerpiece to a revitalized Capitol Park area.

After all great cities of the world have great public fountains!

(Message edited by Gistok on October 31, 2007)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 791
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what can I say...it's a gift : )

As for it's future...Lafayette Park could use a fountain. I know Im a little biased because I live here, but this neighborhood is loaded with great people who take pride in the parks. I would like to see something like this to encourage people to spend more time in the park, and not just pass through.

(Message edited by detroitstar on October 31, 2007)

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, waiting for cockboy517 to comment...

Gistok

Post Number: 5605
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Hahaha...

Detroitstar, Lafayette Park could use a more modern looking fountain than the Merrill... somehow Italian Renaissance would look a little out of place in "Miesian" Lafayette Park... :-)

But I agree Lafayette Park would be a nice place for a fountain.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps a fountain like this

art isn't easy

would fit better in lafayette park?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I was there in late June the merrill fountain was a weed choked mess. It looked like someone had tried to take care of it as there were some flowers growing, but most of the plantings had been stomped and whoever was taking core of the fountain just gave up.

http://flickr.com/search/?s=in t&w=all&q=merrill+fountain+pal mer+park&m=text

Gistok

Post Number: 5611
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is sad Gnome... Lizzie Merrill Palmer would be turning in her grave if she saw that scene...

It's time to bring it back downtown where it can be restored and looked after.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman - Ha! Will we all need earplugs if THAT comes downtown?

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would be the appropriate steps to get something done? It's a shame to see it in such a condition. Does Palmer Park have a community organization?

I'm meeting with a client that's looking at some real estate in Palmer Park... will try to take some pictures this afternoon to see that it's looking like...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.