Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Woodward and Eight mile Bridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to find the DET NEWS article or pictures of the paintings or pictures on the NEW bridge.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 549
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't help you with that French but it sure is impressive. I live in Ferndale half a mile from the bridge and appreciate its new look. It compliments both sides of eight mile.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That wonderful landscaping job they did would look a whole lot better WITHOUT THE BRIDGE.

But since that war is long over, it is 100x better than it was, I must admit.

(Message edited by chris_rohn on October 31, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3321
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French, why not just go pay it a visit and take pictures. They will be better than any 72dpi 200x150 pixel images you're going to find online.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Bulletmagnet when you need him?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 494
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Green Acres and I like the new look. The bridge does look a lot better. I hope that all the landscaping flourishes and keeps looking good. The pictures are a bit over the top but they do accentuate the bridge. I'm also glad all the construction is finished.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It definitely dresses up the south end of Ferndale and the north end of Detroit...As a resident of Ferndale i'm very happy with the project.

How will the State Fair mall effect the area? Will it help or hurt Ferndale/Detroit? Thoughts?

The_ed

Post Number: 497
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will help the city. Hopefully it will be a pleasant place to shop and have a nice assortment of stores and shops to patronize.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3322
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it will hurt Ferndale. There are some simple things Ferndale just doesn't have as far as shopping goes. I don't see it taking away from downtown Fern at all. I'd personally like to see a GameStop in there. An office supply or Best Buy/Circuit City would be handy as well. Those are things I end up driving a bit for.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a thread (with photos) of the bridge a few months ago...

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must be the the only person in the Metro area disappointed with the end result...somehow I expected a lot more for the money spent.

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope they get the timing of the lights right. My first two times over the bridge the lights on the Ferndale side just as you pass over the middle of 8 mile were on and the Detroit side wasn't. Then last Saturday coming home from downtown at dusk the Detroit lights were on and the Ferndale side wasn't. Seemed odd but I know they need to adjust for the shorter days. Is it possible each municipality controls the lights at their border?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is it possible each municipality controls the lights at their border?"

Probably not. Lights are DTE's thing.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltrain, the traffic lights at the intersection are timed for left turning traffic. If one were going straight though, he would use the bridges.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5608
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul... I'm not sure by Ltrain's ambiguous statement whether he meant traffic lights... or street lights. I thought he meant streetlights... but his use of the word "timing" could be construed as traffic lights.

Not really sure now....

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, I wasn't thinking about street lights at all; sounds like you are right. Ltrain must have meant street lights "coming home from downtown at dusk"

Ltrain

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes the new lights on the bridge, not the street lights.

Ltrain

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, not the TRAFFIC lights, the street lights on the bridge. Long day already.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lights were on this morning.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge I am 15 in Rochester Hills
I can't really just walk there
I don't even have a liesence.

The reason I need the article is because I am doing a project on how to Revitialize Downtown Rochester.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 801
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live a block away and haven't taken pics of it. Probably because I don't care much for the design, or lack thereof. It looks the exact same as the old one, only with old pics on the sides THAT AREN'T EVEN LIT UP AT NIGHT.

The_ed

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel the same way. I'm glad they finally finished it. The pictures are no big wup.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 458
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interestingly enough, I took pictures of it on my bike ride this weekend. Went through Woodlawn Cemetery too and Palmer Woods (got yelled at for taking pictures). Oh well. :-)

I know it's probably more expensive, but I wish the traffic lights were on poles and not cables.
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/D etroit%20September/2007_1103Fe rnDetroit11_03_070031.jpg

North
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/D etroit%20September/2007_1103Fe rnDetroit11_03_070033.jpg

Looking west on 8 Mile
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/D etroit%20September/2007_1103Fe rnDetroit11_03_070034.jpg

And always remember:
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/D etroit%20September/2007_1103Fe rnDetroit11_03_070035.jpg

ALSO, my favorite feature is the street lights for sure. I know that a lot of people wanted to see this intersection designed at-grade, but looking at these photos and experiencing the walkability for myself, I still think that design standards that were desired can still be achieved!

Username: 7051

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Detroit near the bridge and own property in Ferndale near the bridge. As part of the bridge studies, one study showed that property values would increase within 1/2 mile of the intersection if the bridge was eliminated-common sense.

Pre-rebuild estimates by the state were $4 million to rebuild and $6 million to tear down. Final price tag $17 million!

This link even estimates a $2.2 million dollar cost to tear it down!!

http://www.nograffiti.com/graf news/6_27_03/wednesday.htm

What a great use of money by a bankrupt state!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn. That looks pretty much like that bridge has always looked, aside from the paint job and pictures pasted to the side.

Japes
Username: Japes

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To change it to be a grade crossing would have been disastrous with the traffic volumes going though the area. It would be the equivalent of making Northwestern and Telegraph Rd. intersection one with a signal. You'd have more accidents, be LESS pedestrian friendly, less walkable, as well as have more traffic problems.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what you say, Japes. The city manager of Ferndale didn't think so, and he had a degree and everything.

Phucking filistines...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5589
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's the landscaping? Explain what's new here.
jjaba stil think trees and bushes when you say landscaping. It looks bleak as hell.

jjaba, on the Westside.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Japes, in the alternate proposal, only the service drives and Woodward would have been at the same grade. A large percentage of Woodward and the service drives are already at the same grade. Eight mile would have still traveled below the intersection. I don't see how this alternative could have been any sort of traffic disaster for any mode of travel.

Jjaba, nearly all of the new streetscaping is around the bridge but not on it. I know the sidewalk on Woodward's east side were a mess. It's much improved. The road surface and railings were falling apart on the old bridge. It's much better.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bridge looks great, im curious if they are going to run the street car over the top or around the sides.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I was wondering what that might entail as well.

Here's the way I see it: Bottom lin is we're stuck w/ the bridge. After thinking about it for a while and actually using the intersection, I'm actually now in favor of it.

If you've ever been to downtown Grand Rapids, you know how a monstrous, snaking elevated freeway through the core of urbanity can successfully be built around with minimal interruptions in human scale urbanity. We have an opportunity to do the same thing at Woodward and 8.

If there was no bridge, what would be the alternative? "Michigan lefts" like you find on Telegraph in Southfield? Crossing major thoroughfare such as that on foot would be a nightmare!

I think that having the bridges there "hides" the speeding traffic (which at least 8 Mile can be designated as), but it also provides the "4-corner" walkable intersections at grade level. It seems to me that, if done right, Woodward Avenue Action Coalition and 8 Mile Blvd Association, in cooperation with Oakland and Wayne Counties could hire a design firm to design an urban node out of what was created. I think one would be surprised at what could be created there. And we could have the best of both worlds...traffic happy and jolly getting through, and pedestrians at street level having easy and safe access to the four corners of viable, livable development.

It's a way to get innovative and creative with the urban planning around that area. Especially with some of the proposals that are on the table right now. :-)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French,

Go to the Rochester Public Library and tell a librarian what newspaper article you're looking for, the subject and the paper it was in. They can find it or show you how to get a copy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.