Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Snap Fitness in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitsfirstson
Username: Detroitsfirstson

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello All,

As this is the best medium to get an honest opinion on what people think about Detroit and Detroit business, I have a question?

I am thinking of buying a Snap Fitness http://www.snapfitness.com/ and putting it in somewhere in Detroit (Rosedale Park or Midtown). I think this is a great company and I think Detroit, in particular is a severely underserved when it comes to places to work out. I am wondering what the folks of Detroit Yes think about the feasibility of such a project?

Please be honest and brutal (if need be)

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you might get some ideas from one of your "competitors:"

http://www.ymcadetroit.org/Dow ntown%20Family%20YMCA/default. aspx

perhaps interviewing a few of the folks coming and going would provide some valuable information; for example: what people like, need or want more of, and good new location for a fitness facility? perhaps some people there would love something closer to home.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is one in ferndale on woodward that has been open a few months. it never looks too crowded when i drive by.

it looks pretty small but all the gear looks nice and new.

I know the Y is pretty expensive. i think if you could keep it around $20-25 per month you might be on to something.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hands down, a midtown location would be the best location. Inside the crystal lofts on woodward,
Inside the under construction Wayne State Apartment complex next to the Whitney, or anywhere in between. Cass or 2nd would also be a good choice.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I literally just got back from the SnapFitness in Ferndale. I have to say that it's a great deal from our standpoint. My fiance are paying only $55 for the two of us month to month (one of 3 payment options). If you sign a contract it drops by something like $5-10 per month, depending on length of contract. They have brand new equipment and are constantly adding more.

I'm not sure I'd put one in the Corridor- a large chunk of people living there are WSU students and have free access to the brand new fitness center they've built there. Something tells me that the number of non-students living in the area wouldn't be sufficient to support it. Could be wrong though.

Fmstack
Username: Fmstack

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a member of the one in Ferndale, and it's pretty nice (though, admittedly, half the niceness right now is because they haven't built up a big customer base yet -- there's normally only 4 or 5 other people there when I go). It would be great for me (Hamtramck resident) to have one in Midtown (... heh, or Hamtramck itself...), though I'd do a hell of a lot of research before making the decision to buy a franchise.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd probably get a lot of interest in Rosedale Park since both Fitness USA and Powerhouse Gym closed up shop (neither closing due to lack on business, I don't think).

I don't really know much about the Midtown area's demographics. If that's primarily Wayne State students living over there then they probably already have access to WSU's athletic facilities...

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You'd probably get a lot of interest in Rosedale Park since both Fitness USA and Powerhouse Gym closed up shop (neither closing due to lack on business, I don't think).

if they didn't close because of lack of business...what do you suppose led to their demise?

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a Fitness 19 here in downtown farmington; memberships are only $19/month. seems to do well. why couldn't it work in detroit?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first source for information would be to check with the franchise office for each chain and see if they even have an interest in those areas. I would do my due diligence and not really care what is said on Dyes per se as most won't be your customers (non-residents)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a former Franchise owner (not a gym franchise, however), I will tell you to be VERY VERY careful about buying into any Franchise. We Seriously got screwed by our Franchise and it absolutely turned out to be a total scam and the Franchise owner turned out to be a money sucking parasite, who did nothing to help build, design or support the store we built in a Detroit suburb. Pretty much, I would tell you to get Legal advise, as well as interviewing other Franchisee's in the area and across the country, before getting involved with ANY Franchise.

Being very honest, my Partner and I have discussed exactly this type of facility in Midtown and have dreamed about doing similarly what you are, right now. I think Midtown has the biggest potential, but also the biggest short-term risk. If you build a clientel (and have the funds) to weather the next 5 years, then your gym is well poised for success OR starting the gym off small, but able to expand over the years could also be a good business plan. If not, Midtown may be too big of a gamble for you. I don't want to discourage you, but that has been our assessment for the area (withOUT looking at any new census figures from the last 3 years...Check it out, I am sure things have only gotten better).

Second, being a Resident of Brush Park, I would be very Happy for your gym to locate near me, however I am not sure how many non-WSU students there are (they have a nice new facility on campus), but being in Midtown and having a low membership price could bring you many of the new residents who don't want to pay for the YMCA. Talk to the Midtown Development groups for the latest census info about our area... I know there are about 300 people in my block who only have the $50-$60 per month YMCA option... A nice gym with good equipment for $20 or $25 per month on Woodward, would be awesome for us!

Finally, just keep your eyes wide open and be sure you are prepared to take a loss, if you decide to start any business, especially a Franchise! No matter how easy they say it is, trust me, it is not and you are investing a lot (Time and Money) into any business. Good Luck!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

if they didn't close because of lack of business...what do you suppose led to their demise?

I don't totally recall the story of each fully off the top of my head, but Fitness USA closed amid some type of small scandal. It turned into a Fox 2 Problem Solver case because they abruptly closed and left employees and patrons out in the cold.

Powerhouse closed to do a renovation. I think the owner might have passed away around that time? They ended up selling to Rite Aid so that they could build their mega-store.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think midtown has the Henry Ford Fitness facility, but they are high priced I believe.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10637
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct on both accounts. Their hours are also not that appealing.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11713
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As a former member of the Rosedale Powerhouse, they closed because Rite Aid bought the building. Powerhouse was not the owner of the building, so they had very little say. There was a court notice on the door at one time, concerning the transfer of ownership. The original plan was Powerhouse was either going to move into Rite Aid's current location, after they tore down the Powerhouse and built new, or they were locating up the road in the former location of Fitness USA. As you know, neither happened. I eventually joined the Powerhouse in Highland Park, which I have nothing but good things to say about. Nicest gym I've ever been a member of.

As for location of a new gym, I wouldn't recommend the Midtown area. One, they already have a fitness center located near Grand Blvd, though can't recall the name. Secondly, as some have mentioned, you're dealing with many WSU students who already have memberships for the on-campus facility. Though the YMCA is quite pricey, they too would be competition.

Personally, I would highly recommend the Rosedale area. When I lifted up there the gym always had a very strong turnout, I would even estimate there were even more people than I have typically seen at the YMCA downtown on any given night. In addition, the are already has a strong retail base, with new businesses opening all the time up in that area. As somebody who has done foot patrols up there the last couple of nights, I can vouch that there is constant foot traffic up there along Grand River AND the neighborhoods.

I wish you the best of luck in your venture.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be awesome if you could somehow coordinate with the YMCA. The only complaint I have w/ the Y is that it closes down too early. The big appeal of SNAP is that you workout on your terms, anytime, 24 hrs a day. On the flip side, a SNAP would not have a pool, rock climbing wall, aerobics/spinning classes, indoor track, etc. Have you thought of building the business on your own, rather than the franchise? I wonder if demographics in the neighborhoods you mention would even meet their franchise requirement. Do it on your own and make money for yourself, rather than snap.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 533
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One year from today, downtown Detroit would have added over 100 residential units to its core. Some will be located right smack on Woodward ave, crystal lofts, university lofts, Brush park disrict.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midtown.
Maybe you can work out a deal with the DMC and Red Cross employees, and any residential developments without fitness rooms.
I would join.

Detroitsfirstson

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really appreciate you guys. I really feel like we have the pulse of the city on this forum and I really appreciate your imput. Please continue to discuss.

Detroitsfirstson

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried

A associate of mine owns the one in Ferndale and is also a franchise consultant. The cost to get in is minimal and they have a great support team. And as a City resident, I believe that Detroit could be well served by a facility such as this.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.