Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit City Certificate « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kfowler
Username: Kfowler

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband and I are in the process of buying a house in the City of Detroit. We have received mixed information regarding whether a city certificate pursuant to Detroit Ordinance 124-H is required to complete the sale. There has been recent court action regarding the validity of this ordinance. Most recently the case was remanded to Wayne County Circuit Court. I attempted to obtain the records today but was unable (had to order the box). Does anyone know the current status of this litigation or the validity of this ordinance?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red tape? What does this certificate enable or require?

Kfowler

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Ordinance 124-H requires a city inspection and certificate of approval before the sale of a one and/or two family home. Essentially the inspector shows up and expects a bride. If you don't pay they generate a list of things that need to be "fixed." Often you can be denied occupancy of the new property. It is red tape I'm hoping to legally avoid.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...inspector shows up and expects a bride"

Apparently in order to get a certificate of occupancy you need to marry off your eldest daughter. You might be confusing DetroitYes with RiyadhYes.

Ok, I assume you meant bribe.

Kfowler

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes... dyslexia strikes again...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 923
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was funny.
A+ on the comedy routine.
You two should take that show on the road.
Perfect set up, nice delivery.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 966
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call your title company for a status report as to whether it's required. Or, the broker if there is one.

I recall it's the SELLER who must get the certification, and pay for any repairs. Do you have a broker. That's something a broker would know for sure.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6719
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been a while, but can the buyer sign a waiver accepting less than major (or even major) code violations, although I vaguely remember stipulations about the length of time repairs were required to be done?

Detroitsfirstson
Username: Detroitsfirstson

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can sign an ACR, which acknowledges that you know the problems exists and that you will get them fixed. You are "supposed" to get them fixed and have the city come back out to give you a Cert of Occupancy.

I have owned a home in the City for 3 years now that I signed an ACR on. I have never had the city come back out, and to date, I haven't had any problems from the City

Kfowler

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vast majority of properties sold in Detroit require the buyer to assume all repairs cited on the Pre-Sale Notice of Deficiencies Report. (basically what Detroitsfirstson stated)However, I was wondering if anyone knew the current status of the litigation/law addressing this entire validity of the inspection process?

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...I haven't heard anything about this, and I am pretty "up" on all the ACR red tape crap. Please keep up updated when you hear anything, because it will affect all of us property owners in the city.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.