Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Devil's night « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 365
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, tonight's the big night. Is this even an issue any more? Are there any arsons still being set? I seems like it is just a bad memory and no longer a problem due to all of the neighborhood watches.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a child we usd to call this garbage can night. And being kids, we turned over garbage cans, teepee'd houses and trees and wasted good eggs on bad neighbors who were candy-less the previous year. :-)

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The amount of cops out last night blew my mind. I saw at least 15 cars pulled over in front of my place last night. Not to mention the other city vehicles on the streets, and there were several volunteers out, too. It will be interesting to see how many are out patroling tonight.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6738
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tonight is Angels' night not Devil's night.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

devil's night alley cat bike race, 8pm hart plaza

not related, but way better than beating the same dead horse every year

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2158
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, right you are, along with ringing doorbells. It sure escalated from there, didn't it?

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or throwing corn on windows.....

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2876
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be out tonight, TP-ing small children and egging teenagers. Fun!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury, make sure they are unarmed first, please.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Joe Strummer of The Clash one time. It was backstage at Clubland after his show there for the "Earthquake Weather" tour.

All excited he turns to me and says, "Hey did Detroit burn on Devil's night this year?" and I said that it had, which he thought was pretty crazy. Then I said, "And you thought London was Burning."

Joe Strummer laughed at my stupid joke. I'll never forget that. He was just the coolest guy ever. My geetar hero.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Devils night used to be a night of fun and stupid pranks.
Like ringing door bells, tipping over trash cans, soaping windows, dog poop in a paper lunch bag and lit on fire ring the doorbell and run on neighbors who were less than friendly to us kids all year, dog poop in the exhaust or in the fresh air intake of someone car or on the door handle
Ambushed the kids who lived the other side of Schoolcraft with eggs and rotten tomatoes, built a barracade with garbage cans across a dark portion of the cross streets Kendall or Intervale. When I was in HS, about 10 or 12 of us did pickup a little Renault Delphine and turn it sideways in the driveway between 2 houses...I think the guy lived on Pinehurst.
BUT WE NEVER lit houses, garages, dumpsters, trashs cans or fields on fire, WE NEVER called in any False Fire Alarms or pulled the corner street box, WE NEVER broke out any windows, WE NEVER broke into anyones home or garage to vandalize and steal, WE NEVER poured paint solvents on anyones car or home. WE NEVER slashed anyones tires.....We're we Devils? Hell Yes

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2573
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Devil's Night...

I have fond memories of when we used to go and egg all the cars in our neighborhood and then come home to watch free premium cable channels all night! :D

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3319
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I met Joe Strummer of The Clash one time. It was backstage at Clubland after his show there for the "Earthquake Weather" tour."

I am now officially jealous.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 550
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every night should be devils night.
the city would be taken care of the shit in no time.
Congrats to all the volunteers taking names and kicking ass.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember standing on my rooftop as a kid on Devils Night 1984, looking out across the horizon, and thinking that this was nearly as trippy as watching the fireworks.

The sad thing is, that even today as I live in NYC, one of my co-workers (knowing me as a Detroit native) asked me "How bad do you think Devils Night will be in Detroit this year?"
I answered "I dont know. Can you tell me the last time the Tigers won the World Series?"
Blank stare.
Ugh.

The_ed

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936
"Ed, right you are, along with ringing doorbells. It sure escalated from there, didn't it?"

It escalated to the point that instead of kids having a little fun, to vandals, hoodlums and roughnecks destroying peoples property.
My brothers and I were the paperboys of the neighborhood. From 14th street to Poe; from W. Grand Blvd. to LaSalle Blvd. If there was anyone who would stiff us on collection day, we would stuff bananas in their tailpipes. Needless to say there were some folks who were late for work the next day.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sad thing is that even though Devil's Night is not what it used to be, the national perception is that it is. There is even a reference to Devil's Night in Detroit in the book "I am America (and so can you) by Stephen Colbert.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4287
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations and thanks to the thousands of unsung heroes of Detroit who have made Angels Night yet another success!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"we would stuff bananas in their tailpipes."

Ah! So that's where Eddie Murphy came up with the idea, eh, Ed? :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5606
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey... why did you lie to Joe Strummer?

Were you trying to be cool? How pathetic is that?

And in the process propogating a perception of Detroit that is no longer true...

(Message edited by Gistok on October 31, 2007)

The_ed

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no comprende señor Ray1936

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

watch "beverly hills cop" ed...

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 934
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What was the bike race all about last night? People were going every which way it seemed. I was confused.

The_ed

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Rsa
"watch "beverly hills cop" ed..."

Haven't seen it for years.
I think my brother has a copy.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

I did not lie to Joe Strummer. I spoke the truth. I also mentioned to him that the previous night over by St. Andrew's Hall, a man on the street asked me if I wanted to buy a gun and showed me a revolver, I told him no, I didn't want to buy a gun and he replied, "How about some acid. Wanna buy some acid?"

Strummer joked that I should have bought both, then made a crazy face while waving his hands around firing stoned.

No need to lie. In detoilet, truth is stranger than fiction.

Fury13

Post Number: 2903
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey,

I'm the first one to point out that Detroit has problems, and that mindless rah-rah-ing is not productive, but I really disapprove of the use of "Detoilet."

That's to be expected from an out-of-towner, but not from anyone that claims metro Detroit as home.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry that I offended you, Fury.

Fury13

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I'm over it.

I believe that we are our own worst enemies here in Detroit. Our collective inferiority complex and cynicism often prevents us from seeing the good that's happening around us.

And I'm guilty of that, myself... I know that too well.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tree on my Detroit street grew toilet paper last night!

Gistok

Post Number: 5610
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey I realize that you were likely starstruck... but in reality the number of Devil's Night fires is so low right now that we are no longer the "fodder" of jokes nationwide.

However, your comments did a disservice to all the volunteers who make sure that we no longer are the laughingstock of the country on Devil's night.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, Joe Strummer is dead. It was many, many years ago that I met him.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, Earthquake Weather came out in the 1980s. Joe Strummer has been dead for five years. This obviously wasn't a recent encounter. Get over yourself.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, Spacemonkey beat me to the punch.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were outside talking to neighbors last night when two beat cops walked by. We were very surprised and happy. They said that Angels' Night was very quiet. This was about 10:30 or so.

Dds

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This was about 10:30 or so.

According to an interview done by the Detroit News, that's about the time all hell broke loose on the east side.

quote:

But Ken Routin with the Detroit Fire Department said several fires had erupted by 10:30 p.m. on the east side. Blazes were "going left and right," Routin said, and firefighters were dispatched.

Detroit News

Gistok

Post Number: 5615
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never heard of Earthquake Weather... must have been before my time... Ffdfd... I'm sure Spacemonkey can take care of himself... and doesn't need your help...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 388
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's an oxymoron. An Earthquake is not an atmospheric phenomena.

Dds

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitanize- Earthquake Weather is an album, not something that can be measured with a barometer.

Gistok- Maybe do a little research before you pounce next time, and those of us familiar with Strummer and his post-Clash projects won't be so quick to correct you.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When it's no longer necessary to marshall the collective forces of the City to patrol the streets and enforce a curfew then Devil's Night will no longer be an issue.
With the slow real estate market in Detroit, as elsewhere, arson becomes an alternative method for clearing out empty, abandoned, unsold homes.

Did anyone see the Sex Pistols on Leno last night? I believe they're on the Late Late Show tonight. They did Anarchy in the UK.

Gistok

Post Number: 5618
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever... I don't know a Earthquake Weather from the Weather Girls...

Still don't know the difference between Jack White and Jack Shit... :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on October 31, 2007)

Dds

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Still don't know the difference between Jack White and Jack Shit...

There's where you're absolutely right. Not much difference between those two at all.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ffdfd... I'm sure Spacemonkey can take care of himself... and doesn't need your help...

No doubt. Spacemonkey proved that.

quote:

but in reality the number of Devil's Night fires is so low right now

But let's not get carried away Gistok. Things were rockin' and rollin' yesterday. It was not "just another day."

Swbaby12345
Username: Swbaby12345

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any memories of how Devil's used to be? any pics?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5288
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anything, I know it was no where near the 814 fires reported on the three day period in 1984....

But of course someone is gonna say "there were still fires, so it don't count"...

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were still fires, so it don't count!

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent my Devil's Night watching Bono speak here & he drew great applause when he spoke of how The Clash was the first famous rock band he saw live, changed his life, etcetera, then did a swift takedown on how they were victimized by the poseur element who ignored the rally call in their songs, who "bought the Doc Martens yet didn't want to march" and such. It was 16 years ago this month when a well-lubricated friend & I saw The Pogues @ The Wiltern-Joe Strummer replacing Shane MacGowan (so bad off he couldn't fly lest his liver explode) & doing a great job(their encore cover of "London Calling" all the more amazing with Joe), A year ago I got a cellphone call from this same friend who was frontrow center for The Pogues show in Frisco, he was still well lubricated & hanging out with an Irish lineman from Royal Oak playing for the 49'ers He found it ironic he was handing up his smuggled Bushmill's to a grateful Shane MacGowan while poor Joe was nearly 4 years in his grave

Markemarx
Username: Markemarx

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swbaby12345,
Here is a nice site dedicated to the Devil's Night '97!. Although I'm not sure it is as crazy as stories of the '84 Devil's Night.

http://hvfd.com/devilsnight.ht ml

Notice that the page is located at hvfd.com, a Hyattsville, Maryland Fire Department website. The story on the page mentions their trip and has pictures.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in the mid 90,s i loved devils night i would sit on the porch and see city trucks that should have been scrapped 30 yrs before. as i get older oct 30 gets safer. i know it may be more boring but it,s better.

Fury13

Post Number: 2916
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't understand why there's still this big community mobilization effort every year, one that costs the City thousands of dollars.

It's a job for the police. They see someone starting a fire, they should shoot 'em.

Shoot 'em.

Deterrence. :-)

(Message edited by Fury13 on November 01, 2007)

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What was the bike race all about last night? People were going every which way it seemed. I was confused.

The Alley Cat Race you saw was a scavenger hunt of sorts. Bikers would work in teams, goto a checkpoint, and then receive a slip of paper with the next checkpoint. There were 16 checkpoints and one bonus that riders could try to get too. It is a great way to promote biking, introduce new people to the City, and learn your way around downtown. Riders have come as far as Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Canada. Devil's Night was a relatively small one. I think a little over 100 arrived but it may have been more. Some in the past have been over 200. You can find more info at
www.myspace.com/alleycatdetroi t.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some darned kids toilet papered the house next to mine on Devils' Night.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 685
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mayor's office has said that the fire count was well below city avg (40 fires a day) for the night.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a NYTimes review of a recent documentary by Julien Temple about Joe Strummer.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2007 /11/02/movies/02stru.html?8mu& emc=mua1

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That's an oxymoron. An Earthquake is not an atmospheric phenomena." - Detroitrise

Actually, there is earthquake weather. If it is warm out (80+ degrees) and the air feels like it is pressing on me, usually an earthquake happens within a 100 miles of me. It is a strange sensation.

"The Mayor's office has said that the fire count was well below city avg (40 fires a day) for the night." - Spiritofdetroit

40 fires a day? Is that correct? Seems like a lot of fires.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, those are fires, not homes burned to the ground.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.