Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Anyone has a spare power cord for a macbook? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Master_debator2
Username: Master_debator2

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone has a spare power cord for a macbook?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would this be a Detroit edition macbook?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say this is a Detroit issue, as I could also use a spare Macbook power cord, and I live in Detroit. Seems to be a citywide problem. Have you tried 311?

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever heard of Craigslist?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6240
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever hear of the Mac store?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3315
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that one of those lame Mac power cords that comes in two pieces, one piece that wraps up the wire, and then the plug half that plugs into it? If so, those are garbage. Mine had a short within two months, my friends shorted out a month later.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our son repaired the power cord to his Macbook over and over again. The first bend where they plug into the computer just can't take the flexing. His new Macbook Pro has the magnetic cable that works really well.

The first reply to my very first DetroitYES post was something to the effect, "How hard is it to use Google?" When someone posts an item that might not fit perfectly into the DY forum, a little patience and compassion wouldn't hurt.

Pennst8
Username: Pennst8

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Hmm, your son's MacBook didn't come with the magnet cord adapter?

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His new Macbook Pro has the magnet cord adapter. His iBook was very old, and had the old style adapter that plugged in.

To keep the iBbook going, he took apart the adapter and resoldered the wires. I think he also covered the outside of the adapter (nearest to the computer) with a piece of aquarium tubing, so that the wires did not bend as easily. He did that many times before caving in and buying a Macbook Pro for college.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is that one of those lame Mac power cords that comes in two pieces, one piece that wraps up the wire, and then the plug half that plugs into it? If so, those are garbage. Mine had a short within two months, my friends shorted out a month later.

I've had my iBook for over 4 years and the adapter still works well. No shorts in the plug or the actual computer. It's not through lack of use, either. I've used it almost daily, moving it between two different buildings for the last 3 years.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter's macbook magnetic cord was wearing out. The apple store said it was a warranty item, so take it to the store and see. I haven't heard back from her yet whether they just replaced it.....They seemed expensive on Ebay....

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would be a better fit in classifieds or connect section

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3316
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've had my iBook for over 4 years and the adapter still works well. No shorts in the plug or the actual computer. It's not through lack of use, either. I've used it almost daily, moving it between two different buildings for the last 3 years."

Yeah the one I'm referring to was actually for a power book. It looked like this.

Then there was another cable that plugged into the top of that for some reason and went to a power outlet. They were notoriously crappy. I think Apple ended up replacing them if you just sent them back.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the exact same converter/plug setup for the older iBook G3/900 I have. If it wore out in two months why didn't you send it back? Apple has a 90 day warranty on all parts. Plus, the extended warranty if you bought it, which should be purchased for any computer, whoever makes it.

Doctors
Username: Doctors

Post Number: 728
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the CompUSA on the Detroit side of Ford Rd.

As AFIK the only authorized apple dealer in the city of Detroit.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Ebay?

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lord have mercy all this computer stuff confuses me.
I need to hire a nice boy take care of me with my problems.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The black brick power adapters that came with Powerbook G4's definitely had a recall, and I believe the YoYo power adapters that replaced the black bricks also had their own recall.

Either way, finding a replacement should be an easier eBay thing.

Just make sure you get the right adapter. :-) Magsafe adapters won't fit into those old PowerBooks.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comp USA on the Detroit side of Ford Rd. was closed when they downsized store locations. Closest store is in Lansing in the Frandor mall. They service Apple.
Main Ph. no. (517) 332-1255
Service no. (517) 432-7875

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was certain that this thread would have been moved to another category by now...

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>>>I was certain that this thread would have been moved to another category by now...

Mac People are Detroit Yes people?????

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Mac People are Detroit Yes people?????

So are some Neocons, but we make them take that to the other side.

Doctors
Username: Doctors

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by Msamslex
quote:

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:27 pm:
Comp USA on the Detroit side of Ford Rd. was closed when they downsized store locations. Closest store is in Lansing in the Frandor mall. They service Apple.
Main Ph. no. (517) 332-1255
Service no. (517) 432-7875

Thanks for the update.
Are there any apple dealers left in the city of Detroit?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was certain that this thread would have been moved to another category by now...

yes...wouldn't this fit better in "connect?" get it??? power cord??? connect???? ha, ha, ha,,, um, ha ha...ahem.

sorry.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 6285
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about a conservative Mac person...like me...or,Gasp, Rush Limbaugh.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.