Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Joannas resturant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is an old restaurant at Van Dyke and 8 mile...

it used to be joannas or something like that according to the sign. they served steaks and ribs if i recall...

it looks all boarded up now but as i go by every day the parking lot is full...

is it still a restaurant? whats going on there? any idea?

thanks

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it has been closed for A while

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Joanne's. It had a good reputation and good food to the point that people did come in from the suburbs to eat there. Dress was casual but not sloppy; price range was moderate. That building has been there for decades with the Joanne's sign, but it has been closed for a long time.

Thedeadofnight
Username: Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest with you, the former Joanne's Restaurant now houses a small gay sauna (bath house), known as Tranquility Sauna. Tranquility used to be on VanDyke (near 9 mile) for years. It moved into the former Joanne's a couple years ago. The place is somewhat "low-key" though certain gay "cruising" websites advertise this place. Also, my friend owns The Rainbow Room Night Club, next to Joanne's, on the opposite side of Sherwood.

(Message edited by TheDeadOfNight on October 30, 2007)

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Joanne's many times for dinner and to listen to some singers we knew who were performing there. Their food was excellent! I was very sorry to see it close.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 383
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, he's speaking of the Rib and Seafood restaurant (black building) on Sherwood and 8 Mile. Doesn't look like it's abandoned, just not open for business.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blueidone,

When did they do entertainment there and who played?

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents (and, once or twice, me) used to go to Joann's for very special occasions. They didn't go often because it was a bit pricey for them. We usually went to Singing Sam's, just a bit further east on the north side of 8 Mile.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate at Joanns for the last time about 12 years ago. I'd say It's been closed for 10 years now . They had very good food , nice atmosphere too .

Blueidone

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazz...the performers I saw were Bill Murphy (now retired) and Alex Safi (still singing...currently at Luciano's in Clinton Twp on Saturday nights.

Blueidone

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazz...sorry I forgot your other question. I don't remember when specifically...mid 80's to early 90's I think.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.