Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Temple of Odd Fellows « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 784
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone tell me a history of this building? it appears to be in excellent shape, and considering it's prime location centered between Campus Martius, Greektown, and Broadway/Stadia...I'm amazed that this building, and a couple others along Randolph sit empty.

Anything anyone can tell me about this building or those along that same strip would be appreciated!

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I saw some people working on the interior of the first floor. This was about two weeks ago.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's been work going on there for a few months now.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems odd no one's talked about it sooner. (badump, crash!)

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 718
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was built in 1874. Architect unknown. The construction on the first floor is prepping for a Turkish restaurant that should open in the spring.

The second Temple of the Odd Fellows was built in Southwest at Vernor and Springwell in 1917 and has recently been superbly renovated.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 785
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the original use of the building? What other functions has it served?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2846
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Built in 1874, it originally had a mansard "French Empire" style roof on the top floor. The top story was heavily modified in 1898. There are the dates of 1874 and 1898 inscribed over the doorway that leads to the upper stories.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Turkish restaurant sounds cool. Isn't there a clothing store on half of the first floor?

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is a clothing store, the metal pull-down door was hiding it when I walked past at lunch today. The Classic (menswear) sign is still on the front of the building, however.

There were two workmen busy bringing construction supplies into the restaurant side of the building, and lots of new drywall was in place. This is a pretty good sized space. A Turkish restaurant will be a nice addition to the downtown restaurant scene.

Now, how about something Moroccan somewhere? Tagine, anyone? I still miss Blue Nile downtown - ages ago!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 786
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there is a clothing store in the building next to The Well...not the temple building. I think that could be a great stretch of shops and such with a little bit of attention.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Temple Building has two ground-floor spaces - perhaps a clothing store was once behind the rolled down metal door of the north space?

Next door to the Temple Building is Shaw's Barber Shop. Next to that is the Well. And next is "Baltimore Lunch" (on the building - can't recall what's actually inside) and on the corner is a men's clothing store.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitfunk.com/2007/05/odd_fellows.html

Look at the back of Odd Fellows, you can see all the old clothing store adds painted on the wall.

Text description

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.