Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bad year for apples, unless you're Michigan. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3308
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071027/B IZ/710270380

"Short supply and high demand have pushed up prices -- and profits -- for Michigan growers, who contribute $450 million a year to the state's agriculture economy. Michigan is the third-largest apple growing state, behind Washington and New York.

"It's the yin and yang of agriculture," said Denise Yockey, executive director of the Michigan Apple Committee. "It's the law of supply and demand."

Surging demand drove Michigan apple shipments to an all-time high earlier this month, when more than 337,000 cartons were shipped in one week, up more than 83,000 cartons from the same week in 2006 and the first time the state's weekly apple shipment went above 300,000, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

With the higher shipments have come higher prices. Depending on the variety of apple, growers are getting about $3 more per bushel this year than last, up to $18 to $19 per bushel, according to Michigan State University Extension."

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 842
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea! I love the McIntosh ones. With a little red and green, the best of both worlds. A jumpstart to the economy.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 932
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Northern Spies, they make the best pies! and they are great eaten right off the tree

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 843
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can u get them at the store?

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 933
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think so, I have never seen them at a store.

I have only seen them at orchards and farm stands

(Message edited by miss cleo on October 29, 2007)

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honeycrisp!

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they sell Northern Spies at the Franklin Cider Mill ... I'll check tomorrow when I go for my run.

There's something this time of the year, the smell of the apple's and donuts at the cider mill, the crisp air ... I love Michigan in October.

Sportsfan
Username: Sportsfan

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no better smell in Sept-Oct then the apples(Cider-Orchards)the smells all around.Leaves on the grond.Tree colors peaking! Lifes Great in Michigan!! For a short time at least

Renfirst

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Life IS great in Michigan. As long as it doesn't get cold too quickly. But you have to say that the winter's are just as amazing.

I have to say that I got a little worried after seeing the piece on 60 minutes on the Bee's disappearing in N. America. You forget how important they are to the pollination of fruits and vegatables... We need to save the BEES!

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if the cider mills are open this coming up weekend. I have been looking at their websites and they say that they are open Sept. through Oct. We wanted to go this weekend!

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3210
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not understand why we are #3 in apple sales, but all I see on store shelves is grown in Washington. Same with blueberries -- always maine or something. Even most of the cherries I see in stores aren't Michigan grown

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holiday Market carries Michigan apples. The Michigan Honeycrisp are far superior to the Washington ones.
The big chains find it easier to buy in bulk from Washington and truck everything all over the country.
I tell my chain store manager that I want to support local farmers and when they start doing that, I'll support their store.
It uses up so much less energy too to buy local.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2968
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does anyone know if the cider mills are open this coming up weekend. I have been looking at their websites and they say that they are open Sept. through Oct. We wanted to go this weekend

This one is open:

http://www.erwinorchards.com/c idermill.html

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

new york apples are better :P
empires, cortlands...i rest my case

(native upstate new yorker here)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3310
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honeycrisps were first planted in Michigan around 1990, and have quickly become one of the most popular apples. They were created by the University of Minnesota by cross pollinating Macoun and Honeygold apples.

They are difficult to grow, and only grow in some areas (including Michigan!)

Friske Orchads in Atwood, Michigan is currently taking orders for Honeycrisp Apples, you can by them online and have them shipped!

http://www.apples-cherries.com /cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/0478.2.089 181720552727051?myclass=Apples %20-%20Fresh

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 934
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont be a Honeycrisp sheeple. What they charge for those things is outragous,,,,and they are good, but no better than a Spy or a Jonathan. They are just the *it* apple. Dont be fooled.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 935
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am about 10 miles from Friskes....like I said above, you pay a great price for an apple that really isnt any better than whats out there already.

We planted some apple trees this year, Ida Reds and Honeycrisp. I will eat my own and not pay the high price.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3215
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honeycrisp are way better than those mealy-textured jonathans. never had a spy

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 936
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must have had some bad Jonathans!

Pffft

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Empires are very good. They were my favorite until I tasted a Michigan Honeycrisp. I think I'll go by my tastebuds rather than Miss cleo.

I do like a Michigan Northern Spy, but especially in baking.

Pffft

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p.s. Michigan has the perfect weather to grow Honeycrisp. Its high price is because it's so difficult to grow and harvest. There's no taste quite like it.

Our Michigan growers do pretty well with the Empires as well...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

empires and cortlands were bred in NY at the geneva, NY experiment staion though

http://www.nyapplecountry.com/ history.htm#nineteen

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the pleasure of eating a "Jazz" apple - sweet, tangy and crisp! I bought a few last year at a Meijer and when I went back for more there we none left.
I check EVERY time I go grocery shopping and I have never seen them again.

Anyone ever heard of them, and more importantly do you know where I can get some more? *Hoping they are a Michigan apple* :-)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honeycrisp is far superior to anything else I've tasted. Supply must be ramping up to meet demand as the prices have come down a bit this season after they first hit the shelves.

Pffft

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes and thank you New York for developing the Empire.

Honeycrisp was developed in Minnesota, and is particularly suited to their climate and ours, but not Washington's.

Honeycrisp tastes like cider ...nothing like it.

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmmm... maybe I'll stop the search for the elusive Jazz apple and buy some Honeycrisps! An apple that tastes like cider? YUM!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5598
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Gala are my favorite...

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheesh! checking out the Friske site, 40 Honeycrisp for 45$! Last night we went to Bolt Farms to get pumpkins, and apples were on sale, I got 40-50 Honeycrisp for 15$ Was told to fill up the bag to the top cause she was tired of selling them!

No way in heck would I pay 45 bucks for apples.

Bolts Farm is about 6 miles east of Friskes

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet, they only recognize Illinois for the Pumpkins X-P.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Gala gets my vote too; Michigan produce is The Best.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10623
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They are just the *it* apple. Dont be fooled.

So true and quite an indictment on how perception is more important than reality in our society. Paying the prices asked for honeycrisps is sad and funny all wrapped into one.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Over-analyze much ? They're apples. The Honeycrisps taste really good. Some farms are over-charging. They still taste good.

Some of you need to get over yourselves.

Jt1

Post Number: 10625
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some of you need to get over yourselves.

??

I think people are easily told what is 'the best' and believe it. It made me laugh that it applies to apples for some.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know is that the apples this year grown here in Michigan taste a lot better than I remember them being from last year. Tasty!

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish some of those Michigan apples would make their way to Los angeles. There isn't an apple that has any taste in the entire state of California.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigjeff -

Yates Cider Mill in Rochester is open thru November. Also try Ashton Orchards in Ortonville. They stay open thru Thanksgiving. Call ahead to be sure. See www.oaklandweb.com/recreation/ cidermills.htm

Hollywood Markets carry Honeycrisp, and I agree that they're superior apples. The ones we've purchased are large and provide a treat for two people.

Renfirst

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm becoming a fan of the Fuji apple ... very crispy...

Franklin Cider Mill is open until the weekend after Thanksgiving.

http://www.franklincidermill.c om/history.html

"Washington apples are the most beautiful apples grown. The apples grown in the eastern states are the most flavorful. The reason being, the apples grown in the western states have lava rock in the soil from volcanoes over the many thousands of years; causing the soil not to have the richness that it needs. Therefore they do not produce a very tasteful fruit.

The state of Washington leads in producing apples. They produce as much as four times as any other state. New York has always lead #2 and Michigan #3. Weather this year and the past two years has been exceptional for Michigan farmers. In fact, Michigan this year grew more apples than New York. We, at the Franklin Cider Mill are proud of the apples grown in the state of Michigan; therefore we only use Michigan apples."

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Washington apples are the most beautiful apples grown. The apples grown in the eastern states are the most flavorful. The reason being, the apples grown in the western states have lava rock in the soil from volcanoes over the many thousands of years; causing the soil not to have the richness that it needs. Therefore they do not produce a very tasteful fruit.
------------------------------ ---------------

ahem, Bullshit! Michigan apples are VERY tastey

Maybe downstate the apples arent tasty, but anything grown above the 45th parellel is mighty fine.

Thats not entirely true either. We liked to go to Coon Creek Cider Mill and pick our apples and they were mighty tasty

(Message edited by miss cleo on October 30, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 10628
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seeing as they are in Michigan they might consider Michigan an 'Eastern State' in that quote.

Jrvass

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Early in the season, Honeycrisps were $11 for a approx. 5lb sack (12"x7"x5") filled above the rim. Similar to other apples at the cider mill.

Then the Freep had a full page article on Honeycrisps. The next bag I got was $14 and I was told by the fruit guy that the next shipment was going to cost him more.

Supply & Demand. You all demand less, and I'll have a cheaper supply for myself! :-)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 552
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid we used to raid the orchards. There is something about apples at cider mills. MMMM cider and donuts........

Renfirst

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleo,

They're saying Washington's apples look good, but ours are tastier...

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...this must be referring to my state when someone says this is not a good year for apples. This was not a great year for apples here in Minnesota. Too dry. Real dry, like living in Arizona. We had more rain in the first 3 weeks of September than in April, May, June, July, and August combined. The drought has finally ended in many parts of the state.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This article does a good job of explaining why the Honeycrisps are so juicy, which is one of their best attributes.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20071014/UPDAT E/710140359/1409/METRO

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 959
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When people think of Washington apples, they probably are considering Reds and Goldens that have been bred to look good. Unfortunately, they taste like crap. What we're growing more of out here are Grannys, Pink Ladies and Fujis, which are all much better eating apples then either the Red or Golden.

The article is correct in both the problems with growing Honeycrisps and the fact that they grow better in the midwest than out here. In the Wenatchee and Yakima valleys, it's a little to hot during the day for the variety.

I was talking with an Orondo, WA orchardist the other morning over coffee and he's a bit worried that the Honeycrisp is a bit of a designer apple whose appeal to consumers might drop because of its price. It takes 3 to 5 years for a newly planted orchard to produce in quantity, and after prices fell when Grannys and Fujis became more common, he says many orchardists out here are unlikely to replant with Honeycrisps, and as machinery and labor costs increase (some guys were paying pickers $25 a bin this season) and shortages continue, if the Honeycrisp price drops, it becomes an unprofitable apple very quickly.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just came from 'up north'. The apples are in such abundance that they are selling them cheap in front of gas stations. Carrots and beets must have been records too as they are selling them too. Prices must be good as guys were loading up pick-up trucks with the morsels!

Jrvass

Post Number: 292
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! Were the gas stations up north selling deer Co-Caine and Deer Crack too? They are pushing deer bait for hunting season! :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I know its considered deer bait, could not resist it though.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Dixon NM we had a very good apple crop. In case you were wondering. eeeeek

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.