Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Need Some Good Fried Shrimp NOW « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to take a quick poll. I want to surprise my wife & son by treating them to some primo fried shrimp, but I want to pick it up TONIGHT, so I'm shamelessly pushing for some quick responses. I live on the NW side, and I'm looking for a joint that's in my general area. Thanks!!

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

miley miley

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dot & Ettas, Greenfield south of 696

Ravine

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jonesy. I'll look them up, but I should have specified that I'm in the Plymouth/Greenfield area at the moment. The rest of you, please gimme a general hint about location.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3073
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shanghai Cafe on Northwestern Hwy. in Southfield might do up some big fried shrimp for you. Or any local Chinese place you know.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is E&S shrimp on Schaefer and 6 Mile still open? That place used to have the best shrimp...

Edit: I just checked and it's still listed there. The number is (313) 345-2777.

(Message edited by iheartthed on October 29, 2007)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 931
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Argonne Supper Club in Charlevoix, best fried shrimp you will ever eat...though I doubt you will make it for dinner

http://www.michigan.org/travel /detail.asp?m=7&p=G23211

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O Quin's Livernois and Pembroke.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 908
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't vouch for the shrimp or if it is still around but these are right in the neighborhood. I did a search for seafood Detroit.

JUST PERFECT SEAFOOD 313-838-8677
15128 Plymouth Rd
Detroit, MI 48227

SEVEN MILE SHRIMP PALACE 313-836-4449
15321 W 7 Mile Rd
Detroit, MI 48235

I have never tried the shrimp, don't really like shrimp, but the fish is great. They are definitely still there, and you can call your order in.

SCOTTY SIMPSON'S FISH & CHIPS 313-533-0950
22200 Fenkell St
Detroit, MI 48223

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scotty Simpsons is closed on Mondays, I think. Scotty's is located 1 block west of Lahser on Fenkell or 5 Mile.

Ravine

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E&S is closed on Monday. Just Perfect is in the running. Dot&Ettas is far enough that the shrimp will not be hot enough by the time I return. About to check into O Quin's and Scotty's.
Thanks to all. The poll is still open, keep 'em coming!!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 909
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, what did you end up with?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6231
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'Lord Ravine...you & your cravings! You'd think you were a crazed pregnant woman!

And yes, what did you end up going with. If I would've saw this thread earlier, I still would've thrown my hat in the ring for Dot & Etta's.

Bigdada
Username: Bigdada

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SEVEN MILE SHRIMP PALACE rules! I moved away from 7 and Greenfield 10 years ago, but I still drive out there every once in a while for fried shrimp fish okra chicken whatever. Just a hole in the wall with bullet-proof glass, but highly recommended. Hope this recommendation doesn't come too late!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long John Silver's (there's actually a location in the city!)? Arthur Treacher's in Dearborn?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, both O'Quin's and Dot and Etta's both have eastside locations.

O'Quin's Shrimp House: Gratiot bet. Van Dyke and E. Grand Blvd.

Dot and Etta's Shrimp House: Mack and Holcomb (however, it's ben under construction for the longest).

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, The one Long John Silvers I know of in the city is on Grand River @ Archdale, between Greenfield and the Southfield. It's one of those combined places with A & W. Don't know how the shrimp is though. The Arthur Trechers that was on Warren @ Oakman has been closed for years. It was some type of fish & chips place but didn't stay open long. Now it's a meat market. The one that was in Fairlane I think is closed. There might be one along Telegraph somewhere, I don't really know.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there an Arthur Treacher's in Northland?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an Arthur Treachers on E. 8 mile but I wouldn't buy any shrimp from there. O'Quin's is better.

Ravine

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before letting this thread slip down the board and out of circulation, I want to sincerely thank everyone who responded with their suggestions.
I ended up going to Happy's Pizza, on Plymouth east of Greenfield, mainly because it was extremely close. My wife and son gave the shrimp a thumbs-up, and the batter-dipped fried mushrooms were a hit.
I see that Dot & Etta's has a good rep around here, but they are just far enough that the shrimp would have cooled down quite a bit, and microwaving fried shrimp seems like it would decrease the crunch factor and increase the soggy factor.
Boy de Smog: Hey!! Whatcha mean? Have I, in the past, revealed some other craving? Actually, I don't care for shrimp, anyway; it was a treat for my wife and son.
Again, thanks to all!

Ravine

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really sick of the stupid red dots.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I see that Dot & Etta's has a good rep around here, but they are just far enough that the shrimp would have cooled down quite a bit...

That wasn't a problem for me when I used to go to Dot & Etta's (first on Livernois, and then later, the one on Mack). My half pound, slathered with Frank's, would be gone long before I could make it home. Dot & Etta's is the best!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to Miley Miley, it'll make you smiley smiley. If they don't smile, they have to give you one free shrimp

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 550
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may surprise you but Beirut Palace in Royal Oak has a great shrimp dinner with large succulent shrimp that is not overpowered with too much batter. That place by the zoo has good shrimp also.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 551
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine I thought you were a girl.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroitrise, The one Long John Silvers I know of in the city is on Grand River @ Archdale, between Greenfield and the Southfield."

Eh, full blown eastsider here. That one must be new or I'm completely ignorant about that side of town because the only one I knew about was on City Airport's fast food lane (Gratiot and Gunston). It's a complete Long John Silver's by itself.

Also, don't forget Red Lobster. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.