Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Minor League Baseball Coming to the Exurbs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4282
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A minor league ballpark will be built in Waterford and host a team from the non-MLB-affiliated Frontier League according to this week's Crain's.

Apparently Ilitch will not oppose it, he used is clout to stop a similar effort in Troy, and he could not technically stop it. MLB owners have the right to prevent MLB-affiliated minor league teams open from within 50 miles of their stadium.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10605
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good option for families that want to see live baseball and spend a little less.

A 4.5 MM metro area can sustain pro and minor league games. Minor league is a great option and tends to cater more to families than pro at a better price.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd go to minor league games in Michigan. I want to take my kids down to Toledo for a Mudhens when I have time.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll believe it when I see it. Didn't that same article say that they haven't even talked to the League about a franchise? With that track record, maybe we'll see them in Romulus.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when is Pontiac Mall area an ex-urb?

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, maybe it will cut down on all the kids taking up the good seats at Tigers games. ;)

Msuscorpio
Username: Msuscorpio

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's awesome! Only a few miles from my house in White Lake. I used to love going to the Lugnuts game when I was at MSU...Cheap beer and cheap tickets...Hopefully that will breath some much needed life in the Summitt Place Mall or at least spur some redevelopment.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.