Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Southwest Detroit neighbors take stand against crime « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently residents of Southwest Detroit took part in a march against crime. I don't know enough about the neighborhoods, but from my outsiders perspective it seems like the residents of southwest Detroit are much more proactive than residents of other neighborhoods. Things like this and the business district created among other things I read give me that impression. Are they more organized and proactive? If so why are they able to organize when other neighborhoods cannot or choose not to?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071027/U PDATE/710270423/1361

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 494
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thirty people isn't a lot but it's a start. I would have liked to see 300 people.
This is the kind of stuff that's is needed throughout the city. People have to take back their streets and neighborhoods.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6729
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks in SW Detroit know how to keep their ghettohoods in tact and ethnically diverse while other ghettohoods of Detroit are remain to this day, black and blighted. They still have a community police force and very strong block clubs in every street dedicated to preserve their ghettohoods. The fast growing Mexican/Hispanic community made it possible of filling up most the SW Detroit ghettohoods and setting up shops along W. Vernor Ave. Mexicantown is getting bigger and better than ever. Folks around the SW Detroit area are developing more than Downtown Detroit and other black communtities combined. Most of the development were made possible without city government assistance.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 978
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seems like the residents of southwest Detroit are much more proactive than residents of other neighborhoods.

That's why I bought a house here, Deandub. Sadly, there aren't many great neighborhoods, but there is a listserve and message board (started by John Allen) dedicated to SW Detroit and neighborhood action meetings. You just don't find that in, say, Brightmoor. My neighbors are great. It's also the only neighborhood in the city that has grocery stores, a CVS, a Murray's, a hardware store, chain restaurants from Jet's to Church's, and, until recently, we even had a GameStop.
Yes, it's sad that such amenities are common in the suburbs, but it's the price you pay to be able to call yourself a Detroiter, I guess.
I gladly overpaid for my house (given the soft housing market) for the opportunity to live here.
Now, if only the Hotel Yorba would go away... :-)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could organize a firebombing followed by a potluck dinner......................

Danny

Post Number: 6732
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You folks in SW Detroit can have the power to succeed from Detroit and call it Springwells. Start a petition create your own city. Make W. Vernor HWY a new downtown. Create a new Police Dept. and public School. The time is right break away from Detroit.

CITY OF SPRINGWELLS, MI. " A great place to live."

Willmess01
Username: Willmess01

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so happy to hear that! It has been my hope that people ditch the "Snitch" attitude and start to truly take the city back.
This is a start.

Danny

Post Number: 6733
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When snitching, snitch in secret, get the award money later.

Willmess01
Username: Willmess01

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So true Danny. You would not only be helping the system but stuffing 10 grand in your pocket would help anybodys financial lookout.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithhawk stated:

"It's also the only neighborhood in the city that has grocery stores, a CVS, a Murray's, a hardware store, chain restaurants from Jet's to Church's, and, until recently, we even had a GameStop."

Russell Woods/Dexter-Davison and Rosedale Park/Grandmont has such businesses. I've even been to the beautiful A&W/Long John Silver's that replaced the departed Norwest Theater! Though there is/was/never will be a GameStop.

I live in Warrendale and CURRENTLY we don't have much crime (relatively), except for some vacant houses getting their Central Air Conditioning Units stolen. I did have a neighbor next door whose son was robbed at 9 am walking down Evergreen Road. They immediately put their house for sale, and it sold for a low price in a week.

The day that the owners of the house packed up the last of their stuff, someone stole the C/A unit.

The new owner of the house immediately put a For Rent sign on the lawn and attracted a tenant. The new owner never replaced the C/A unit, and has not done any landscaping or external improvements to the house.

Someone unlawfully entered my house in June of 2006. It was my fault!!

This person was attracted to the broken, half open garage door on my detached garage. So when the person went into the garage to see if he could steal something (which there was nothing of any value), he saw a back window to my house that I had left cracked open!

This person proceeded to steal some new doorknob sets, a cd player, a DVD player, some tools, and a new garage door opener I had just purchased.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's also the only neighborhood in the city that has grocery stores, a CVS, a Murray's, a hardware store, chain restaurants from Jet's to Church's, and, until recently, we even had a GameStop.

No it isn't.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The gang problem in s/w Detroit has been a bit more pronounced in recent times than it has been much of the rest of the city.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though there is/was/never will be a GameStop.

Actually... there is a GameStop about a half quarter mile west of that A&W... lol.

(Message edited by iheartthed on October 29, 2007)

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk, how does one get on this listserv?

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've found that SW Detroit neighborhood associations are larger and more active than in other parts of the city, with the exception of North Rosedale, which is much more middle class than even Hubbard Farms and certainly more middle class than Springwells or St. Hedwig.
I think you have to give a lot of credit the Catholic churches and the business owners in SW for being exceptionally tied into their community. In my experience, small business owners in SW are very likely to live, not only in Detroit, but in the same neighborhood as their business. I have not found this to be true of business owners in other parts of the city. Block clubs and neighborhood associations can be much stronger when they are tied into associations of local businesses or by large institutions like the Catholic church.

And while there are plenty of drug stores all over the city and there are certainly more grocery stores than I think people realize, the quality and price of groceries in Southwest (especially if we're talking about E & L and Honeybee) is much better.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's awesome when you ask people where they're from, and they respond by telling you the parish that they live in. This happens quite frequently on the far South and Southwest sides of Chicago. "Where do you live?" "St. ______s"

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 992
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You folks in SW Detroit can have the power to succeed from Detroit and call it Springwells. Start a petition create your own city. Make W. Vernor HWY a new downtown. Create a new Police Dept. and public School. The time is right break away from Detroit.

Why in the hell would we want to do that? I am proud to be a Detroiter.

Rhymeswithrawk, how does one get on this listserv?
You have to e-mail this guy Mitch. I'll track down his e-mail for you. Meantime, you can go to the HF message board, hubbardfarms.informe.com. It isn't as active as the listserv, but it's another valuable connection to your neighbors.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4376
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, Rhymes, if Southwest Solutions is done renovating Crack Towers on Hubbard and Porter, one can only hope that the Yorba is somewhere on their list.
A shout to the folks in Hubbard Farms, over twenty five years of rolling their sleeves up and doing rather than just waiting for someone else to do...

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Rhymes. I'll watch this thread for the e-mail address.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 996
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, Mitch's e-mail address is mitchalexander AT yahoo.com. Just tell him you're a SW resident and want to get added to the mailing list.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.