Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » St John Cantius Closing « Previous Next »
Last mass at St. John Cantius, Sunday, October 28195310-26-07  3:56 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Three_lakes_strongs
Username: Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today began as any other, my usual morning trip to the store for a Newspaper, 2 Phillies and a Green Tea. Now me being a Democrat I usually buy the Free Press. But on the cover of the Detroit News with a story about St John's Cantius Church in Delray. There was a service tonight a 6pm. And me being a good Polish boy had to see this Detroit Icon off. So I put on my Sunday best, fired up the Grand Prix and took that rip down Jefferson I took almost daily. I always drove by St John's. Actually I have many photograph's of it. I even have many of the old school that was located next door.( And I admit it, I even oncce went in there.) I attended the 6pm Mass, sat in isle 63. Apparently there were numbers on the ends of these isle due to the fact that in the churches peak the seats were assinged by family due to the fact that every mass was always full. Then came the sermon it began with a part about death and father taked about how this felt like a death in the family to him and the congeragation. And then the Churches 105 years history. Next he talked about the school (Back to the school). At it peak in the 1930's there were 1200 students in a 8 classroom school. I remember this with my now admitted breaking and entering. I remember how the school looked inside, the air of RESPECT I felt in those halls. The breaths of the past that were speaking to me that night. I remember what the Father was saying about that school, playing over my trip through it in my head, the 4 classrooms on each floor. Now I had a identity with this now gone school. Further on in the sermon he spoke about how buildings are like tents and how I think it was Paul that said that they are "temporary residents". Then he spoke about the thousands of families that were members there. I think it was 6900 people were baptised there and thousands of other that were married there. ( That's alot of families St. John's was responisble for starting) I took comunion and then instantly went into 8 years old kid "church is almost over itch". So I began investigating my surroundings. There right in front of me carved crudly into the bench top was "RN" as if it was carved with a nickel. Then I thought "where would I put the gum?" and I began to feel under my seat. There under the pue I found about 8 pieces of gum. Little pieces of childhoods past. So I pried on off and there on that who knows how old piece of gum was a perfectly preserved fingerprint. A identity of the past. Some punk ass kid just like me stuck it there, years ago. I also notced the scratches of past keys and buttons sliding on the beautiful wood pues. The mass ended with a prayer to St John Cantius himself. I sat there for a few after the mass ended. And I looked at the look at each persons face. It was sad. THey were sad. And I admit I was sad. But then sitting there in isle 63 I thought abouthouw I was blessed and this made me happy. Blessed to see such a great church. Blessed to see great art that the church had. ( The mueral over the alter is astounding). And finally blesed that I get 105 years of a church. I get the worth of 105 years of happiness, unity, growth, virtue, respect, spirtuality, etc...all the things that St Johns teaches, CONTINUES to teach. I looked at all those people that St John's produced. The character that all the people sitting there had. The VIRTUE they were taught by this church. They're ways. St John's did a good job. St John's produced good, honest, quality indviduals. And that is my message to St John's.

Here on your finals days you should not hold your head down with tears in your eyes.

Hold your head up in pride. for you have the greatest gift of all. You have the gift that every human desires. Spirtuality. You entered the church young. And like the church grew you grew with it. You grew togther. It shaped you. That is what you should hold your head up for. For who you are. Your pride. I thank you and I hold up my own head for you. I thank you that you allowed to share with me 105 years of growing.

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2541
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrific first post, Three_lakes_strong! And welcome to the Forum!

Here's a link to another current thread on this subject with a link to a now archived thread...
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/117482.html?1193425019

Enjoy!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4275
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great evocative post and tribute, Three lakes Strong, and another welcome to the forum.

I moved the thread Kathleen started into this thread.

St. John Cantius Detroit

St. John Cantius Detroit

St. John Cantius Detroit

St. John Cantius Detroit

St. John Cantius Detroit

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A beautiful post. Today marks the final masses at another twin-spired area landmark, Holy Rosary, which faces Detroit from the corner of Riverside Drive and Droillard in the Ford City neighborhood of Windsor

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see the two angels have been removed. Too bad (or perhaps, too good?) They are, according to Carphistory, early (1925) contributions by Parducci to Detroit. I wonder where they ended up? Probably (possibly) in that Roman Catholic very secret (maybe so secret that it doesn't even exist {and now let's define the meaning of "exitance"?} collection area in or around Cincinnati. Any thoughts? eeeeeeeek

PS can't we add "Parducci" to the spell checker somehow? I mean, this IS Detroit after all.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, they removed the angel statues even before the last Mass this afternoon?? I would have expected that folks would want to take photos today (and it is a beautiful day full of sunshine) of the church and themselves in front of the church.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4281
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am guessing Carptrash may be referring angels that were in front of the school? I notice a couple of empty pediments there. As far as I know the angels on the church are still there.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks L. - I suspect that CP's angles are the ones on the church. My fast scan of the pictures posted here (no fault but mine) didn't catch that they were two different buildings. So, yes, if someone did follow K's suggestion and get some pix that would be cool. eeek

Kathleen

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOhh...I must have been moving too fast!! I noticed the interspersed photos, but didn't pick up on the one being the school. Sorry!! I hope that we'll hear from someone who attended today's Final Mass and the sold-out Farewell Dinner afterwards.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2548
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had a standing room crowd at the final mass yesterday.

Parishioners say good-bye Detroit: After 105 years, St. John Cantius holds its final mass
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071029/NEW S01/710290330

Faithful to the end: 1,200-plus attend church's final Mass
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077102903 43

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was standing in the choir loft.

A kinda sad ending to such a beautiful church. Does anybody know what it's fate is?

I know the normal procedure is to sell them off. And looking at an ariel of the area, it's pretty obvious who would be looking to buy and knock it down.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on what I heard in early October when I was at St. John's for a tour and mass, there are no firm plans on the fate of the building. The art and other artifacts are to be passed along to other churches in the Archdiocese and what is not claimed will be put in storage.

Given that the school building has already been razed, one can only assume that the church will meet that same fate, only when is still to be determined.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully the parishoners will help bolster Holy Cross to keep it strong.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, my very good sources say that towards the end, this church was kept going as sort of a "hobby" by a few elderly parishioners, i.e. mowing the lawn, painting, etc.
People move away,attend a closer parish in the suburbs and then they come back all sad when it closes .

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building is now garbage.

The first night without surveillance, it will be broken into. Slowly, over the next few months, anything of value, including doors, windows and roofing will be stolen. Weeds will overtake the grounds. The building will stand as a hulking eyesore for years until it finally either burns or is demolished.

How many more institutions will we allow to follow the same path? Why do people come only for the final mass? Why would they even bother? Hasn't mattered to most of them before now, anyway.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 495
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's better other parishes get the goodies than looters. Other churches have had sacred chalices and other items stolen while still having viable congregations.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I think the city of Detroit is going to buy the church and tear it down so they can add the land to the water plant.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.