Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » F-16 at Metro Question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While passing the airport, a few minutes after 3, today I saw (first heard) an F-16 come screaming overhead. It made a sharp left over the western end of the airport and a sharp 180 at the south end to come in for a landing maybe on runway 22L. I lost it while it was low but apparently it did a fake landing because I saw it heading skyward again after which I lost it as I moved west on 94.

I'm just curious why they would perform this at Metro and if it's something that happens regularly. It was kinda cool to watch it dart around.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to see this daily over Selfridge. For awhile, they took off every morning around like 8:05.

Yeti
Username: Yeti

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw it down by the Willow Run Airport around 9:30 this morning.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was buzzing downtown Wednesday afternoon.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3625
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F-16 touch'n'goes at DTW? Why not MTC?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2527
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it fly over or near the court house around 3:00pm Thursday

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Metro a military base at one time?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guard tends to go on spurious missions to use the remainder of their budget lest they lose funding next year. The guys I know in guard/reserves hate it too; they have to waste their days off converting kerosene to noise.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6420
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do touch and go's fairly regularly at Windsor too...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our guys do touch and go's at Windsor? Or your guys?

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was Starscream getting ready for the sequel.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RF-84 Thunderflash was a recon version of the F84.These were Rebublic Aviation fighters of the mid 1950s.Transferred to the Air National Guard by the 60s.They used to either be stationed or temp.stationed at Metro.A lot of airports in the 50s/60s had Air Defense Command jets on them.5 min. alert in case the Russkies tried to tamper with our "precious body fluids"'to quote from Dr.Stranglove.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Detroit Metro is listed as an alternate recovery field and periodically they test the Air Traffic Control and Instrument Landing Systems, especially if the FAA and NTSB have completed any upgrades and or repairs to the systems

It easier for a small military aircraft to hop around from field to field than a commercial jet with passengers.

Plus, military pilots just like a small private pilot are required to maintain their proficency in handling their aircraft in heavy air traffic areas under Air Traffic Control rules.

Believe it or not, the military has to play buy the same FAA rules as airliners and small planes.
They just don't take off and fly helter skelter like you see in movies

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6425
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, your guys.

They have some kind of agreement that lets them cross over the airspace.

A few years back, one made an emergency landing at Windsor when the pilot ran out of fuel, well at least not enough to get back to selfridge....

Sat here for a day or two till they came to get it...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11710
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weren't they afraid the Canadians would steal all our top secret equipment on the plane and sell it to the Chinese?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4480
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Believe it or not, the military has to play buy the same FAA rules as airliners and small planes.
They just don't take off and fly helter skelter like you see in movies

Actually, the vast majority of relatively "low altitude" airspace is uncontrolled. I forget the ceiling for that airspace (much too high for my GA), but it's around 18,000 feet.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3511
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Below 1,200' is generally uncontrolled, lower in spots, higher in others - uncontrolled meaning ATC does not offer its service. You can fly up to 18,000' VFR without utilizing the service even though it's controlled airspace.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.