Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 200 students in brawl at H.P. school « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071025/NEWS02/ 71025039

quote:

Four students were arrested at Highland Park High School this morning after as many as 200 students were involved in a fight out on the school's football field, said Greg Byndrian, school public information officer.

About 1,000 students were sent out to the athletic fields following a 9 a.m. bomb threat. The bomb threat was cleared but a fight broke out between Highland Park students and a group of more than 250 new students from South Shore Education Center, a school in Harper Woods that closed just days after it opened.

Hmm...gangs?

Incidentally, how bad would it suck if you were going to (what I assume is) a charter school in Harper Woods, and on the first day, got bussed to Highland Park Public Schools instead? Oops!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me thinks that South Shore would be closer to a school for delinquents that didn't have the right funding... Harper Woods parents that are going to the trouble of getting their kid into a charter school aren't going to sit back and watch them get carted off to Highland Park...are they?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, isn't South Shore that school that was run by a church and got put out of there building? I remember this story in the newspaper from a couple months ago where their students were haviing trouble with the HPHS students.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea, but you're probably closer to right than me.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A depressing story about a Detoit pastor who opened South Shore Academy ... (((shakes head)))

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071013/S CHOOLS/710130324/1026&imw=Y

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy crap. What a shady character.

quote:

"But I'm confident that when the storm has passed, South Shore will survive and the vision of creating a Cranbrook on the east side of Detroit will once again be realized"

Hahaha.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wondered why Beacon Acadamy was shut down.

He's a Shyster!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4347
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hallaluhjia! See, Education does not have to be a non-profit enterprise!
The lord helps those who help themselves, like the good Reverand, who helped himself to the funds!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cranbrook of the East? lol! Since when did Harper Woods suddenly rise to the status of Bloomfield Hills? I know they tried to become a Grosse Pointe a couple years ago, but come on...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"a fight broke out between Highland Park students and a group of more than 250 new students from South Shore Education Center, a school in Harper Woods that closed just days after it opened."

The way that different school systems (districts) are set up in Michigan is soooooo goof ass.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Not sure what you're referring to, but it's probably moot anyway, because South Shore Education Center was not a public school (or any kind of school for that matter, apparently)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4272
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me the real story is why these poor 'refugee' kids are getting shunted around. I am guessing that discontent arose about having a sudden huge influx of non-local strangers flung into their school.

All hail the privatization of mandatory education.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4357
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, All public schools are flawless and every private school is a dismal failure.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5571
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Engler didn't do his homework (no pun intended) when he got the charter school laws passed. This scenario should never have been allowed to happened.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6725
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That school fight was a battle for Public Schools vs EVIL Charter Schools. But mostly the students from H.P.H.S. probably staged a fake bomb threat to get the former EVIL Charter School Students into a fight so that they could be feared and maybe leave the school.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ that's a reach

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.