Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ice rink at Campus Martius Park. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say goodby to summer, the ice rink's going up.
www.campusmartiuspark.com

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2838
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay, Winter's on it's way. I can't wait.

ski

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3259
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay! I can't wait to skate under the big Christmas tree and drink some Cocoa.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to skate under the Christmas tree, have five martinis and a bottle of wine and eat $50 worth of fried food, yay!

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm kinda excited about the rink being back up. I want to go for a skate or two this year.
Anyone know their operational procedures? Specifically, do they charge you for a certain amount of time skating or is it free? Also, do they do rentals or do you need to bring your own skates?

Booo winter weather! Hooray Campus Martius skating!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will this be the Winter that didn't show up last year? I've read that it's still supposed to be warmer than average...

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.campusmartiuspark.c om/amen_icerink.htm

You pay for entry. There is no time limit although they may kick you off for a bit to Zamboni the ice.

And there is skate rental available.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2839
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They charge admission and have skate rental. It's $7 for adults, $6 for kids. $3 for skate rental.

http://www.campusmartiuspark.c om/amen_icerink.htm

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the lunchtime monthly pass last year. It gets you unlimited ice time on weekdays, as long as you get there by 3 p.m. If you leave your wristband on, you can go back again in the evening for no charge. I bought my own used skates from Play it Again Sports, so I got to skate a lot last season for a bargain. I love it!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's a blast, too. I went with a girlfriend last year at dusk and it was like Rockefeller Center romantic kind of shit. She really dug it and I scored huge points... too bad we broke up.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 801
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed, i know last winter didn't show up until like the middle of January. Winters nowadays aren't what they used to be.

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish they had monthly passes that worked in the early evening, not only during lunch; I would be there everyday after work!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 798
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the original plans, the ice rink was supposed to go across from the First National Bldg, right? Now that that part of the park's finished, why are they still putting the ice rink there? Better yet, what are they going to do with the new addition, if anything?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2410
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES, Genesyxx, in the original plans the ice rink was on Cadillac Square Park(CSP). Too bad the city decided to put the rink on Campus Martius Park(CMP) because a longer ice rink could have been set up on CSP. It would have been great for pick-up hockey games. However, with Au Bon Pain where it is, the ice rink in Campus Martius Park will likely continue to be the only ice rink in the area.

(Message edited by royce on October 27, 2007)

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 484
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said last year, October is too early for ice skating. They shouldn't start setting up the rink until after Halloween. Then they could use Campus Martius for some Halloween related activities such as readings of scary stories or a Halloween parade and costume competition.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5589
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they can turn the Belle Isle Grand Prix "sea of cement" into a supersized ice rink during the cold weather months.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 799
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, OK so they're deciding to keep the rink at CMP. So why did they finish CSP other than they already moved the transit center westward? From the time they've been finished there hasn't been a chair in existence. Only thing I remember them using the space for was a stage for the Jazz Festival.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.