Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Cheap Good Food Downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5554
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was asked to give a 15 minute tour of the former Michigan Theatre to 40 Cass Tech students for a DIA sponsored tour of Detroit on Monday. (Just the former theatre lobby and upper level of the parking structure.)

When I arrived at the Michigan Building at 10AM on Monday, I waited in the building lobby for the group to arrive. While I was waiting I couldn't help but smell the wonderful aroma of omelettes cooking in the Bagley Grille in the Michigan Building. They had omelettes advertised as "any way you like them" for only $3.00!

For someone used to buying great omelettes for around $6-$8, that price was a bargain.

Another place in the Michigan Building is the Cracker Barrel Bar. I had lunch there, and the food was GREAT! Prices were very reasonable. I had soup (real homemade Chicken Noodle) and a huge grilled chicken Patty Melt, both of which totaled less that $5. The place had that cluttered "old Detroit" ambiance that you just can't get out in the burbs. It's no wonder that the Michigan Building is nearly fully leased (onsite free parking for tenants doesn't hurt!).

What other cheap-but-good restaurants can be found downtown?

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coney Island on Lafayette Street

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 378
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette & American are far over-priced. Good eating, I'll agree, but the value is a joke. Check out the price board and you'll understand why the homeless downtown are so often spotted eating bags of chips instead of coneys.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get a giant Detroiter Burger, Steak Fries, and a beer for less than $9 at the Detroiter bar.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiter bar is great in the summer to sit outside, get some food, and watch the People Mover go by.
It's great year round to watch our teams. And not bad food for a bar.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watching "the People Mover go by" sounds like a lot of fun, if you've just been lobotomized.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10814
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The absolute best healthy fast and inexpensive food in the whole downtown area is at the Bucharest Grille immediately next to the Park Bar.

Chicken schwarma sandwich priced to go at $4.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon good call. Excellent beef schwarma too, and the garlic...ohhh the garlic. Whew.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 340
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely Gannon...the best of the best cheap food downtown.

Get the Bucharest schwarma, though.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the Bucharest Grille's food is excellent. I have yet to order anything off that menu and be the least bit disappointed. The prices make it the best deal in downtown.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't tell you how many tiger games I've left early this year because I couldn't wait for the schwarma....errrr....and ghettoblaster.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The many fine restaurants of Mexican Village

Lunch Buffet and Dinner menu values that are unparalleled, unrivaled, unmatched, unsurpassed.

Don't forget Three Star in Hamtramck; oh yes my friends - Polish Folk can cook up some BBQ ribs and chicken....bestbeeleedat!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon speaks the truth... nothing beats the Bucharest. Don't get me wrong, I love a late-night coney (at Lafayette's, thank you very much), but usually my tab there runs more than $10 -- two with everything, fries, and a Vernor's. I always leave the Bucharest full and only $4 to $7 poorer.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 505
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

park bar is great for food there beer prices are on the high side .. I like meatcutters for a burger and I like to stop in at slows for the pulled pork sandwich called the reason its 6.95 but it hits the spot

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing beats the Chicken Shawarma at Bucharest, I agree... it's the level that all other food is measured! :-)
I basically lived off those all spring long!!
Have to get a side of curly fries with it too.

The Chicken Shawarma Salad is pretty damn good also!!

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Park Bar prices are high???? Not compared to any place else downtown...

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We chowed at Lafayette Coney two Sundays, and it tasted great regardless of the price.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10815
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Park Bar's Beers are on the high side of quality...and the company is always outstanding.

At least until I get there, of course!

Then, oddly, they're out...standing.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 384
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll check out the Bucharest soon.

There's plenty of decent food downtown, but none of it is inexpensive. Think like a student: if you cannot eat for $5 or less you're not eating.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 670
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, how long has the Bucharest been there?? Is it a sit-down place? what else is on the menu? Sounds good

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2811
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arcade Bar: cheap food, cheap beer... unmatchable ambience!

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirt...it's a part of the Park Bar. It opened up in the Spring of this year.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2446
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There's plenty of decent food downtown, but none of it is inexpensive. Think like a student: if you cannot eat for $5 or less you're not eating.

Note to self: never open a restaurant that caters to students.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 673
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahhh, thanks Kid... Ill have to check it out

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad Leandies isn't open anymore...that is, the one behind where Lindell's used to be. Nick & Paul were the owners (I think) and the food was decent, 'specially the liver & onions.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second The Arcade Bar, Their sliders are awesome!

Stromberg2

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to advocate a chain, even if it is a local one, but I'm addicted to Tubby's Regular Steak & Cheese subs. There's a location at Washington & Lafayette.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 506
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bagley Grille in the Michigan Building, omelettes advertised as "any way you like them" for only $3.00!"
I'm all over that deal like egg on cheese!

Bucharest, meaning to hit that place for awhile, will go.

Mike's Pita & Grill. 2719 Russell St in Eastern Market $5.00 lunch special get the Gyro with fries and pop. or 5 other choices! free refills. Good value.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xochimilcos (I doubt I spelled that write) is the best restaurant in all of Mexicantown. In my opinion anyways. The food is awesome and the price is worth the drive!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 862
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Evie's Tamales are good too, and they give you a cookie after dinner. They have other things besides tamales.

Daytwa
Username: Daytwa

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scooter, I agree. $3.50 for 2 enchiladas, rice, and beans?? Oh, Im getting hungry just thinking about it... BTW I think you did spell it right...but how do you pronounce it??

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5275
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey how is this for an idea?

Lets compile a list of all the best inexpensive places to eat in downtown since as much as I am down here alot of these places are new to me!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5570
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schwarma is Rumanian for "tastes like"... :-)

Ben
Username: Ben

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best sub-$5 lunch options:

Harmonie Way - Grand River btw Centre and Broadway (west of the park) - has the best falafel, schwarma, kibbie, mujadra, hummos in the city.

M and M - in the lobby of the Gas Building (1 woodward) - only open til 3 - has great baked goods from a bakery in Dearborn, plus some good sandwiches.

Green Room Salads - 120 W Congress - usually empty by 3 or 4 - Salad by the pound, has nice spring mix and spinach. Big salad for under 5 dollars if you play it right.

Honeybee Market - Bagley and 16th - $4.00 lunch specials until 4pm.

Al's Seafood - Russell St in the market - $3.39 fish and chips

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scooter2k7: "Xochimilcos (I doubt I spelled that write) is the best restaurant in all of Mexicantown. In my opinion anyways. The food is awesome and the price is worth the drive!"

Try Armandos in Mexicantown. They have the best buffet ever. For the price you can't go wrong.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Byblos on the WSU campus is very very good.

Ah, Leandie's. I loved that place. It's one of the places they tore down to make a people mover station.

Bricktown Bar & Grille was another.

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Harmonie Way, Ben.

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockeytown Cafe also does $5 lunch special with free parking on weekdays.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never noticed Harmonie Way. Are they open late, or do they close at 6 like everything else I get want to eat downtown?

Ben
Username: Ben

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie Way just changed their closing time from 4pm to 5pm.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great...so I'll never get to eat there.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 959
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a first.

I've eaten at most of the places mentioned here, and I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING EVERYONE HAS SAID HERE. (Except Kid D, of course [lol].)

I've gotta get a check-up.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea why schwarma would be the thing to get at a Romanian place. In Romania, the most exotic food is a gyro stand (completely different than our coney island gyros, they're served on a french roll, with a sour cream sauce and ketchup, with fries on top and onions). I would be interested to try the Bucharest Cafe, since the only Romanian restaurant I knew of is on Michigan Av. near Lonyo and they serve authentic, albeit salty and a little overpriced food. Does anyone know if they serve little skinless sausages called "mici" or "mititei" at the Bucharest? That is a much more traditionally Romanian quick bite to eat and the spices are hard to recreate here.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 486
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Lefty2 about Mike's Pita and Grille at Eastern Market. Many $5 lunch specials that include the sandwich, fries and pop. My favorite is the Patty Melt..mmmmm. When I feel like eating healthier, their grilled chicken salad is great, especially if you like feta. (Salad is not one of the $5 specials!) Lots of free parking too.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 532
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that grill on the street outside of mikes, grills up an awesome pork sandwich also. pre lions game?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.