Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Next Mayor of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 774
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who are the potential candidates for the next Mayor of Detroit?

A candidate with a proven business acumen might drive new and diverse growth for the city.

Does Dave Bing have political interests?

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be the idiot to say it...Penske for Mayor!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 775
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please educate me. Are you referring to the Penske (Roger?) heavily involved in the DGP? Is he local to Detroit?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don Barden.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would Dave Bing, Mr. Penske, or Don Barden make for a good candidate?

(Message edited by vetalalumni on October 25, 2007)

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilpatrick has it sewn up. With tax cuts, Next Detroit, police foot patrols, roads getting paved, the downtown looking great and new business moving downtown. No one can touch him - of course two years is a long time. But remember he was suppose to lose the last election by a landslide and if I remember correctly he won by at least 10 points.

Hmmm Penske - He doesn't live in the city and I doubt he would want the headache of being mayor.

Dave Bing - Why would be want the headache and I don't think he lives in Detroit either.

who else? No one on City Council would ever get elected or at least I hope not!

I doubt Freeman Hendricks would run again or Sharon McPhail (I think she works for the mayor now?) or Dennis Archer.

So who does that leave?

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't the Bardens Inkster folk? When I was a child, I spent quite a few summer days at his Mother's place. I don't recall meeting him, but I remember his brother had a bad ass Cadillac Eldorado. It had the fake wheel on the back bumper and a sunroof.

Penske wouldn't take the job, and, he wouldn't get elected anyway.

Bing would get elected, but I don't know anything about him other than he hooped it up for a while.

My vote, if I lived in the City.

LaVan Hawkins

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

martha reeves.

i believe detroit is ready for its first female mayor.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granmontrules, good overview. Who would want this particular challenge is interesting. What rewards might be attained?

In business, the leadership that designs and initiates growth is often not the same leadership that implements and maintains it. Smart business might ask whether Mayor Kilpatrick is the best Mayor to carry Detroit forward.

It is true that a municipality and private business have different constructs and dynamics.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3869
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The next mayor?

...not a really relevant discussion considering we probably won't have a new one for about 10 years.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>LaVan Hawkins

Is he even out of jail yet?

http://www.detnews.com/2005/bu siness/0505/10/C01-176827.htm

Granmontrules

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw - My point exactly 10 years at least. But I have to say my wife and I are discussing this thread. We don't have a problem with Kilpatrick nor do most of our friends. I think it would have to take a mighty strong candidate to beat him. At least in our opinion.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 778
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe that is part of Mayor Kilpatrick's appeal - (some) people are comfortable (or satisfied) with him? Is that a "good enough" attitude? Defeatist?

Healthy competition is just that, healthy. Ten years is a long time, and the world around us is changing with or without Detroit.

Hopefully, one or more strong candidates will enter the Mayoral race. A politician riding on the sense of being a "shoe in" might not be best for the future of Detroit. FatCat?

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hansen Clarke. His policies make sense.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3870
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he's gonna be here 10 more years because he's legitimately good for the city.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, I can think of 8.5 million reasons you are wrong.

Gary Brown, for Police Detective
Charles Pugh, celibra-porter
Warren Evans, Wayne County Sheriff
Hansen Clark, term-Limited out of the Senate

Granmontrules

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary Brown? Just because he sued someone and won doesn't qualify him for mayor. Plus I didnt listen/read but from what little I heard/read to of the testimony neither of the guys who sued seemed exactly perfect themselves.

Charles Pugh - Cool guy. But I think he won't appeal to the overall electorate.

Warren Evans - Does he live in Detroit? And what has he done? I never hear a thing about him.

Hansen Clark- He is a bit of a goof ball and I can't see anyone taking him seriously. I remember him being broadcast all over CNN etc. when he danced around on stage in a dunce cap for something at the State House (don't even remember what it was but it was waaay to theatrical to make a point). I will never get that image out of my mind.

I agree with Mackinaw - "Legitimately good for the city". Got to find someone better. Interesting thread but we still have two years to an election.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id move to detroit today just to run for mayor, but im too much a white guy with too much a suburban lifestyle to be taken seriously enough to even make it on the ballot.And i'm not joking, id be interested in the job, but it won't be an easy one.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Somehow I think this statement is why you wouldn't be taken seriously...

"im too much a white guy with too much a suburban lifestyle to be taken seriously enough to even make it on the ballot"

Gnome

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost all the various threads on this site have a common denominator: lack of leadership within the CAY Building.

Seems that a lot of folks point out that the Mayor and Council are consistantly self-serving in their policy implementation. The Navigator, the parties, the vacations, the whole Kwame-time thing ... add the unconventional behavior on the Council with their pension junkets to Hawaii, Resolutions to Nowhere, curious feather-bedding on their staffs and on Boards.

They all sound like opera singers, "ME ME ME MEEEE!"

I would like to see someone who has proven he puts other people first. A person who at great personal and professional risk put himself directly in the line of fire. That man is Gary Brown.

According to trial testimony, Sgt. Nelthrope had first-hand knowledge of various unethical and illegal acts committed by the Mayor and his Security Team. By being the Mayor's driver, Nelthorpe feared he would get swept up in a scandal, and when Strawberry turned up dead, Nelthorpe freaked.

According to the trial testimony, Nelthorpe then went to Gary Brown with what he knew. Now while Nelthorpe and Brown both knew each other, they were not friends. They never palled around, they weren't close.

Brown could have dismissed Nelthorpe's claims. He could have buried the charges. He could have turned a blind eye to Nelthorpe's charges. But he didn't do any of that.

He stepped up and did the right thing. He did the right thing at the risk of losing his career, which in fact, did happen. Then, instead of just melting away, he again stepped into the breach and literally fought City Hall.

His only shield was The Truth.

That's the kind of man who would be a good role model, a good leader, and a Mayor who'd put the citizens first.

Wouldn't that be a nice change?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3237
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second the vote for Charles Pugh!

What about Archer Jr.? He's got his magazine with partner Denise Illitch. I could see him thinking about it.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Charles Pugh will run for city council.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So says his MySpace blog.

http://blog.myspace.com/index. cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&frien dID=106197159&blogID=190684661

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 779
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could an "outsider" even make for a viable candidate?

Is it even possible that a highly-qualified outsider could be better for the future of Detroit than the incumbent or current list of potential candidates?

Could an honorary black person (Clintonesque) become Mayor of Detroit if well qualified? Why (not)?

How do you envision Detroit in 10 years? 15, 20, and 25 years?

My vision of Detroit includes having leadership that:
* is well educated
* has proven and succesful experience in business
* is diverse (gender, race, age, religion, and international)
* is creative
* is respected internationally
* despises the (former) "murder capital" moniker

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kwame will steal (no pun) the election again

long live king kwame

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 524
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need term restrictions, and (wards) KK will stay in office until he's 75, and forty years of this adminstration..........

<313>

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BRING BACK COLEMAN YOUNG!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Too bad this site is anonymous, or I'll bet the Kwame-boosters would have to recuse themselves...

Then again, to hear the unintentionally funny mendacity is fair bargain.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2588
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kilpatrick has it sewn up. With tax cuts, Next Detroit, police foot patrols, roads getting paved, the downtown looking great and new business moving downtown.

Sewn up? Only if suburbanites get to vote.

I've had to call 911 six times in the past two years. Two of those calls involved incidents where shots had been fired. One was a domestic dispute where someone was repeatedly trying to run over a pregnant woman.

None of those 911 calls, by the way, resulted in a police officer arriving on the scene.

Six calls, all of which should have been a priority police run. No response.

I can't too upset with DPD because I know they're doing the best they can with the resources they have. They're currently short more than 2,000 police officers from where they are supposed to be.

The question is: why has Mayor Kilpatrick refused to hire enough police officers to respond to these calls?

Yes, my street was resurfaced. However, I would have vastly preferred it if that money had been spent on police officers instead. I can dodge a pot hole much more easily than I can a bullet.

Before anyone thinks Mayor Kilpatrick has his re-election "sewn up", they should spend some time in Detroit's neighborhoods.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2589
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who are the potential candidates for the next Mayor of Detroit?

There's a decent chance that State Senator Hansen Clarke will run again. He had a respectable showing in the last primary.

I can pretty much guarantee that Council President Ken Cockrel will run for mayor. He was the guest speaker at the Warrendale Community Organization in September 2006 and sounded very much like a man running for mayor.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Ken Cockrel?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 338
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Bonds for Mayor!

(sorry, i couldn't resist that)

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 488
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howzabout Ken Cockrel?

(sorry, i couldn't resist that).

F--are you sure he didn't just sound "very much" like a man running for council?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3262
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bill Bonds for Mayor!"

The state of the city speech would be:

"Good evening, I'm Bill Bonds, nothing is new, Goodnight!"

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Bonds? What did he ever run except red lights?

Can't wait to see the Bill Bonds platform:

Mandatory senior discounts within CoD.

Legalize liquor sales at gas stations.

Mayoral address televised nightly.

Demands right to interview himself harshly.

"If I win -- the drinks are on me!"

Heh. Just kidding, Billy. We love you!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Don't forget the Mayor's Day toupee sale!

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 489
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 931
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing, Penske, Barden are successful businessmen and have absolutely no interest in subjecting themselves to a Detroit political campaign. Only in some dreamland could they be mentioned as potential candidates. Between the inevitable campaign dirt being slung, and the difficulties being mayor would create for the continuing operations of their companies, why would they want to do it? Besides, Penske doesn't even live in the city.

Martha Reeves? Please.

Brown and Pugh could never in a million years raise enough money to run a credible campaign. If Mayor Kilpatrick is seriously challenged, he will spend well in excess of $1 million to win reelection. These two neophytes would be lucky to raise $100K for a primary. (Then again, Mr. Brown is worth about $3 million, courtesy of Detroit taxpayers, isn't he? But who here thinks that he has any desire to spend those bucks on yard signs and TV ads?)

Warren Evans and Hansen Clarke have a modicum of political name recognition, but they also would be hard-pressed to raise big money. Clarke, particularly, has more of a gadfly reputation that attracts some grassroots support, but not much money.

Ken Cockrel, Jr. is probably the only person who could mount any kind of serious challenge to Mayor Kilpatrick. He already has a small political organization. In city council terms, he is a decent fundraiser, and perhaps has the ability to step it up into the next $$$ level. He is smart. He is capable of discourse on the issues and rarely adopts the blame-the-outsiders approach common among so many Detroit politicians. He doesn't exhibit the virulent anti-business and divisive attitudes prevalent with many other CC members.

All that said, it's uncertain whether he would make a better mayor than our incumbent. Policywise, Mayor Kilpatrick seems to be hitting his stride, which is nice to see. Will he deserve a third term? Not sure. It's hard right now to get past the complete and expensive mess he and Christine Beatty made out of the Brown/Nelthorpe/Harris debacle.

Are there any other credible candidates out there? Not many, although Sheila Cockrel is a policy heavyweight who could handle the job as well as or better than anyone. But Kilpatrick would have to stumble very badly before she would ever run against him. Also, she would likely never run against her stepson. There's also the matter of her ethnicity which many voters in Detroit believe disqualifies her from the top position.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Swingline.

Gnome

Post Number: 253
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There's also the matter of her ethnicity which many voters in Detroit believe disqualifies her from the top position."

Do you mean because Shelia Cockril is white she is unelectable?

Would you vote for her in a head-to-head with Kwame?

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Bill Bonds ran, I would move back to Detroit just to vote for him.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric Prince

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, the ex-Navy Seal and founder of Blackwater USA? He seems like a good Nazi type. Probably could kill a few hundred thousand people here if he and his mercenaries were paid well enough.

To paraphrase Bogie's words to Conrad Veidt in Casablance: "There are certain sections of Detroit, major, that I wouldn't advise you to try to invade."

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed, in response to "LaVan Hawkins, Is he even out of jail yet?"

It was a joke. There is no way that Detroiters would EVER elect an overweight crook!

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was quite a buzz over Jjaba's candidacy while I was riding the Dexter bus.

Balls, strikes, Oregon, etc.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 508
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my vote goes to
Reverend Jim Ignatowski

jim

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pugh is running for city council.

I honestly do not know who be viable unless Freman runs again

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no way that Detroiters would EVER elect an overweight crook!

LOL. Good one.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the job is Kilpatricks for as long as he wants it.

Granmontrules

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one from City Council will ever get elected since the started broadcasting it on channel 10. I work in PR. The CC has too many negatives against them. While they many have a percentage of fans they dont have enough fans to elect them. Remember when you vote for CC you are overwhelmed by name recognition. When you vote for mayor, president ect. you have a narrowed choice thus you make a more intelligent (hopefully well informed) decision.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 514
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thus, there where the districting vote comes into choice

on the other hand having a few seals taking care of budiness doesn't seem so bad after all.

(Message edited by lefty2 on October 26, 2007)

Markopolo
Username: Markopolo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all. I am new to the forum—well kinda. I did participate as an unregistered guest sometime ago in the discussion about the Lakeside Trailer Court. As an old, old-time Detroiter I look forward to participating as a regular contributor now that I am registered and hope my comments will be constructive and sometimes enlightening. That being said let me join in.

Swingline, you are absolutely right. Ken Cockrel would be a good mayor, but a bad candidate because he can’t win against the Kilpatrick money/machine. Oh, for the radical days of his brilliant father, Ken Cockrel Sr., who also served a brief stint on council before getting tired of the ineptitude surrounding him. He would have been mayor instead of Dennis Archer had he only lived. And yes, Detroit would be a much different town if he had served. But here is the deal. Monica Conyers will run and win her husband’s (John Conyers) U.S House seat. Think about it. The first time she ran for council she tallied the second highest vote. All of this on name recognition alone, as she never held public office before. Trust me—it is a done deal.

Granmontrules

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Markopolo- You are right. To win an election of any sorts ( we learned with Bush) it really takes one thing and that is money...well and votes. But really it is money.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To win an election of any sorts ( we learned with Bush) it really takes one thing and that is money

*we* learned that??? with bush??? speak for yourself, greenhorn, and properly assign your political biases when using collective pronouns! the "best senate/congress/democracy that money can buy" has long been part of the societal lexicon.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"^Somehow I think this statement is why you wouldn't be taken seriously...

"im too much a white guy with too much a suburban lifestyle to be taken seriously enough to even make it on the ballot"

For one thing, the race issue is always brought into the election: Questions like "who's blacker." Then there was the issue about Freeman Hendrix being bi-racial, which seemed to work against him. And being deemed "the suburbanites mayor" is also viewed negatively. I stand by the fact that my demographic alone gives me no chance. Same goes for Penske and Bonds.

Gnome

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like everyone to remember that Rosa Parks died just before the last election which brought in the usual suspects of race baiters. Remember Sharpton and Jackson and their cohorts all bringing up the horrors of poll taxes and the fights for civil rights? Remember lying in state for 5 days in the AAMuseum? the 7 hour circus? the 17 speakers and the mad dash to the cemetery? The live coverage on tv?

Mrs. Parks' death brought the fight for political rights front and center and Kwame stood on the church podium and reminded everyone that Mrs. Parks fought for their right to vote.

The turnout was huge. As Momma Cheeks-Kilpatrick urged in her eulogy, "Get your souls to the Polls."

Hendrix, having an Austrian mother, was painted with the white brush and lost the election based on turn-out alone.

It is a historial reality that absentee voters usually vote incumbents back into office; however, Hendrix won the absentee vote but most of those votes were cast before Mrs. Parks' death. Hence, it is my ascertain that Kwame won the election thanx to Mrs. Parks.

(Message edited by gnome on October 26, 2007)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aint ya'll gonna vote for ya'lls boy?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then there was the issue about Freeman Hendrix being bi-racial, which seemed to work against him.

Your opinion, which is fair.

But that doesn't explain how Hendrix overwhelming won the primary. If you had paid attention, Hendrix lost the election because he assumed the election was his. It was his election to lose, which he did. This is highlighted by the fact that he lost his OWN NEIGHBORHOOD, one of the most affluent areas of the city.

Gnome

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2001 election results:

kwame:104,287
Gil Hill: 88,992

http://www.geocities.com/ameri cajr/news/detroit2001election. html

2005 election results:

Kwame Kilpatrick (I) 123,140
Freman Hendrix 108,600

absentee ballots:
60,117 for Freman Hendrix
45,783 for Kwame Kilpatrick

http://www.detnews.com/2005/po litics/general/detroit.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.