Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Buried in the back page « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2131
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this should go on the sports thread, but I'm more curious about this as a Detroit newspaper item than sports.

Picked up both the News and Freep during my recent visit, and found it curious that there was practically no interest in the playoffs in the sports section. The only mention of the Red Sox beating Cleveland was a wire service story buried on the back page. Had the Tigers been in the playoffs, the first four pages would have been nothing but baseball stories.

I'd suggest that the Detroit media has become extremely provincial. Their slogan should be "If it happens elsewhere, we don't care."

(An aside: The Las Vegas Review-Journal has three pages starting on page one of the sports section about the upcoming world series.)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's only fair. They would do the same thing to us if we were in the Playoffs and not them. Biesdes, that's why those Sports fanatics have ESPN for.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 628
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Las Vegas is where people gamble on sports, and the World Series is a big deal for gamblers.

What does the Minneapolis newspaper say? That would be a better comparison.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936
"Had the Tigers been in the playoffs, the
first four pages would have been nothing
but baseball stories."

There it is right there! No Tigers in the playoffs, no playoff story on the front page.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was called the Detroit News, not the Boston Globe...

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another example of how the dailies are not even a shadow of their former selves.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is hardly any Nascar coverage either. When the event is here in Michigan, maybe a brief mention in the sports page of how the reporter got to act like a crew chief for a day but this is the Motor City...Nascar should count. Glad I'm online and don't have to rely on the Freep or News.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4270
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah and their coverage of handball really sucks! :-)

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't get me started on their curling coverage.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why I finally gave up buying the print version. Sure, they are Detroit papers, but newspapers used to carry national and international news. Good luck getting anything more than a paragraph on any international stories in the Detroit papers these days.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 606
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's what you're supposed to listen to NPR for...

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5256
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa and how about their marbles tournament coverage...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's right up there with cricket, feather bowling, and pentaque

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6419
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I am in Toronto for work today, and the local newspaper here has the first two pages dedicated to the World Series.

So the argument of one baseball market ignoring another has just been debunked.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5260
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Lilpup...

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would they put NASCAR coverage in the paper? I didn't think NASCAR fans were too big on readin' an' writin' an such.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.