Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Radiator stolen out of my car last night « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lobsterpots
Username: Lobsterpots

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woke up this morning to the hood open on my car in the driveway.
Same shit...crime is everywhere even in Randolph, MASS.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5251
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LP u sure that it was'nt Detroit? Apparently this is the only place where something like that can happen...

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on October 24, 2007)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_Stylin u sure u didn't take a trip to MA?

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fan is missing and the box with the computer shit was cut out also.
I'm just leaving the hood open and Ill walk to work. fuck it hopefully theyll come back and take the whole thing..its insured.
Maybe they'll break into my house and take my pipes too.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why just the radiator?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lots of copper in there. if they were smart they would've taken the alternator for the same reason

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work in the automotive body repair business and I see that all the time. Usually someone has a front end collision. Instead of buying the parts , they will just have it stolen off another vehicle. No vehicle identification numbers to track those items. Presto, my car is fixed!

Also, I see that with airbags. Back window broken out. Airbags and seat belts missing.

They are no longer stealing the cars and stripping them. Either they steal the vehicle to joyride around in, usually kids. Or they break into and steal anything they need right in your driveway.!

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Jeff, unless yor car is real old (ie. 20 or 30 yrs) that rad is probably alotta plastic. Your parts are on someone elses ride.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF...I just replaced the radiator in March. This town is going down the shitter.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does someone get into a locked engine compartment? I thought all cars have hood releases inside the passenger compartment. BigJeff, as a car expert, how can someone by-pass that hood release.

Lobsterpots, sorry for your troubles ... I'd look at someone at the radiator shop. I've heard how some sneaky mechanics do a fix, then steal back the parts at night because they know the parts are good. I realize that sounds crazy, but ...

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Everyone:
I have good friends that live on Boston Blvd 48206.
Both of them got into their cars this morning and drove off without this crap happening to them.
Just food for thought.

Bigjeff

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is actually very easy. Either they reach under the front of the car, there is a plastic shroud that covers the bottom of your car. they pull that off and stick a screw driver up there and "pop" the hood latch. Sometimes they will even cut your horn wires so you hear no sound. Break the side window quarter glass reach in and unlock your car door, and take whatever they need from there. These thieves are very methodic, quick, and very very quiet. Most of the time only taking what they need and leaving cd's and other stuff undisturbed in the vehicles.

So even if you have an alarm system on your car they will either cut your battery cable so it cuts out your alarm, or cut the horn wires!

I have vehicles towed in from all over the metro area, it does not just happen in one area. And, until they either start marking these parts with vehicle identification numbers or some type of tracking system. This problem will persist!

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 356
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to be a lot of car break ins/thefts going on
in Huntington Woods, several attemped car thefts/breakins have occured this past week. Thieves there have gone right up to garages in back yards and started to drill thru car doors in an attempt to enter. An old neighbor has had two attempts on his 2007 Ford Edge in the last several weeks as well as other neighbors. Im told the area off of Lincoln/Woodward in Royal Oak is also getting hit bad lately as well as the homes, Remember to lock up no matter where you live.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was such a crappy car. I bought it second hand a few years back because my Cadillac, my good car, is too heavy on gas, and I was racking up too many miles as I do lots of driving. Its a 99 civic and it has no air, no CD no cruise, power windows or locks, now no radiator. Its an ugly green, and its nickname is "old crappy". I don't care to own imports, but it was owned by an old lady next door who gave up driving and had low miles.
Fortunately, I had two signed payroll checks on the visor, I was going to cash them yest, but the bank closes early on Tues, and also my digital camera was not stolen. The doors were locked just as I left them last night when I got home from the grocery store at 10PM
Another thing, I would be even more pissed off it they damaged my black Fleetwood.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same shit...crime is everywhere even in Randolph, MASS.
------------------

Wow, Randolph used to be a nice suburban town south of Boston.
Lobster, what happened to the town?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 834
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pisser.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't catalytic converters a big target now too?

Bigjeff

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were for a while, these thefts seem to come in trends. It was airbags and radios, then wheels and tires, then catalytic converters, now it's airbags and seatbelts!

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Randolph mass population 30,000.
so far two homicides this year, one young man gunned down in broad daylight on main street.
Another homicide a few weeks later on July 3rd during the fireworks.
Countless home invasions and the schools are failing. The town is broke and the grocery store is pulling out when their lease is up.
Also, a target area for insurance fraud.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my radiator stolen off a new car about 28 years ago in the parking lot next to Yost Arena while I attended a hockey game. Came out after the game and the car wouldn't start. While I fumbled for a flashlight, my buddy was looking under the hood. We couldn't believe it when we realized what had happened.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Seems to be a lot of car break ins/thefts going on
in Huntington Woods, several attemped car thefts/breakins have occured this past week. Thieves there have gone right up to garages in back yards and started to drill thru car doors in an attempt to enter. An old neighbor has had two attempts on his 2007 Ford Edge in the last several weeks as well as other neighbors. Im told the area off of Lincoln/Woodward in Royal Oak is also getting hit bad lately as well as the homes, Remember to lock up no matter where you live."

Upscale area=Better cars to take stuff from.
Then theres the easy escape route that Woodward provides.
I believe these crimes are more prevalent in the suburbs than the city itself. Mall parking lots seem to be a hotbed of this kind of activity. Maybe its just a perception that theres more money in the suburbs so their stuff must be better.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10590
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Then theres the easy escape route that Woodward provides.

Quite an assumption. I didn't realize all crime in this region is committed in Detroit or by Detroiters. What a crock of shit statement.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you mean this shit doesn't happen only in the D.
wow, after reading these threads i am very surprised.

shit can happen anywhere anytime anyplace. :-)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coulda been going back to Pontiac.

Or Birmingh... nah.

Lefty2

Post Number: 479
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So does Boston Edison sound more enticing now..??

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ Susanarosa

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10591
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Coulda been going back to Pontiac.

Or Birmingh... nah.

Point taken.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gas tanks are made of plastic now. They drill a hole in the tank, put a pan under car and get your gas.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midnight Auto Supply strikes again!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 527
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 70's locking gas caps were all the rage. Can you blame the thieves? Gas was almost 50 cents a gallon.

Lefty2

Post Number: 488
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can you blame the thieves? hmmm YES I CAN
IN FACT I WOULD SHOOT THEM

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't implying they were going to any particular city.
Its more or less about how quickly you can LEAVE the city before anyone finds out.
I live very close to the freeway and myself am a little cautious. The fact that someone can take something and quickly be out of the city limits crosses my mind a lot.Just seems like a better opportunity.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is happening here in Boston metro area, is almost the exact opposite of what has happened in Detroit, but at the same time similar.
Real estate prices have risen so high in Boston, that lower and middle income residents are getting squeezed out further from the hub (Boston). Once affordable apartments within the closest proximity to Boston have been converted to upscale condos. These areas have been gentrified. Low income residents with section 8 are being driven further away and Randolph is appealing to many because there is a large number of apartment buildings and home foreclosures. There isn't enough police and the schools are not equipped to deal with the influx of new students that English is not their household language. Lots of Haitians, Asians (Cambodians and Vietnamese) etc. The school system is on the brink of losing its state accreditation and may be forced into being placed into state receivership.
There is no added revenue because these new arrivals to Randolph are typically renters & have lots of kids and they are renters and not adding to the property tax roles. Lots of businesses have closed up shop as well, and a local grocery chain is rumored that it is going to close the store when its lease runs out, citing high costs of doing business.
Randolph is in big trouble. Lots of white flight going on, many with the means to do so are selling & moving to safer neighboring communities that do not have the "T" (bus lines), as Randolph does.
Also, Randolph now has the highest number of registered sex offenders of any town in the south shore.
In the 90's there was lots of middle to upper class black families that bought homes in Randolph, which appeared at the time to have worked out. Randolph was formerly known as a middle class Jewish community. The Jews moved away along time ago.
Today Randolph has a serious gang problem, and there was a black on black teenage fatal shooting in broad daylight last summer and another fatal Haitian drug shooting last July 4th. The year before there was a body dumped in Randolph, and another fatal nightclub shooting.
The police seem to think that my car was targeted by an Asian street gang due to it being a honda civic. Another resident found their car without wheels and tires this morning.
Basically, Randolph is quickly turning into a ghetto.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poverty has a tendency to do that.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another homicide in Randolph Mass last night.
About three city blocks from my house.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure you don't want to come back to the D?

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://boston.craigslist.org/s ob/rfs/460696651.html

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 330
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was nervy!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exonerated Boston man found dead at new home

October 26, 2007

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOSTON -- A man who spent more than six years in prison after being wrongly convicted in the shooting of a Boston police officer was found shot to death in Randolph.

Norfolk District Attorney William Keating says 37-year-old Stephen Cowans was apparently shot by someone he let into his home.

Cowans was wrongly convicted in the wounding of police Sergeant Gregory Gallagher in 1997 after a fingerprint found on a glass near the crime scene was wrongly identified as his.

He was exonerated in 2004 after authorities re-examined the fingerprint. The case prompted the temporary closure of the police department’s fingerprint unit.

Keating says there were signs of a struggle inside the home.

Cowans received a $3.2 million settlement from the city and was also given $500,000 in compensation from the state for being wrongfully imprisoned.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/artikkel?Dato=20071026&Ka tegori=NEWS07&Lopenr=71026071& Ref=AR&Show=0&&imw=Y

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.boston.com/news/loc al/articles/2007/10/27/man_wro ngly_convicted_is_found_slain_ in_randolph/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.