Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Does the City of Detroit Pay Property Taxes? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kjwick
Username: Kjwick

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the City owns so much of the property around town, does it pay property tax? If so, I wonder what Planning and Development's tax bill is.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10578
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silly question. The city owns most of the land from others abandoing it. I also do not believe that county/city gov't pay property taxes.

Personally I think that counties should pay property taxes to the cities the courts, jails, offices reside in. Looking at the tri county area the county gov'ts all reside in older, poorer areas (Pontiac, Detroit, Mt. Clemens)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Governments are exempt from paying taxes. Any property they own does not require the payment of taxes on.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3529
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Personally I think that counties should pay property taxes to the cities the courts, jails, offices reside in. Looking at the tri county area the county gov'ts all reside in older, poorer areas (Pontiac, Detroit, Mt. Clemens)

That'd be wonderful. I wish the federal government would have to pay taxes to DC. Maybe then we'd be able to have a few more badly needed subway lines.... Dare to dream.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Governments are exempt from paying taxes."

This is mostly true. However, there are some exceptions and in some cases, the state pays what is called PILT (payment in lieu of taxes) to local governments for state-owned land.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another example is Evanston, IL. Since Northwestern University owns so much prime, lakefront land which the city is responsible for providing services to, but cannot tax...the taxes on the rest of the city are rather high to compensate.

Jt1

Post Number: 10583
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tax churches and religious establishments.

I think they should at a minimum pay for services such as police, fire and waste management.

(Message edited by jt1 on October 24, 2007)

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great idea JT1 except for a little thing called the Constitution...

Jt1

Post Number: 10586
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where does the constitution require free city services for churches? Police, Fire and waste disposal cost money. Why should my tax dollars go to free services for churches.

I am fine exempting them on many things but these are servcies that require money.

At a minimum let's charge on a per call/per reponse basis.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jt1 - I think you're upsetting baby jesus.

Jt1

Post Number: 10588
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I'm going to have quotes from Talladega nights stuck in my head all day.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am with Jt1. If churches kept their nose out of politics then I would have no problem with them being exempt but lets face it they love to meddle. they shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speaking of which, Drove down Mack from GP the other day, lost count of all the tax exempt churches, same could be said of Grand River or any other busy road in Detroit. I find it really hard to believe that all of these places have congregations. I say tax them or make it harder for tax exempt anyone to obtain vacant property. The City is so full of churches, I can't believe Baby Jesus could get mad at anyone in Detroit.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That'd be wonderful. I wish the federal government would have to pay taxes to DC. Maybe then we'd be able to have a few more badly needed subway lines.... Dare to dream.

Do you know how quickly they'd relocate to Virginia if they had to pay DC taxes?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 605
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe they'd relocate to detroit, they could move congress etc... to the train station, move most offices to the broderick and whitney and move the white house into the GAR. sounds good to me...

no, in all seriousness... it would be silly and a waste of money for the CITY to pay property taxes.. hmm... silly because: they'd have someone spend time + money maybe auditing themselves occasionally, PAYING taxes, and collecting taxes, but ALL of the money would go back into the budget... as it stands now, the money they save on taxes they presumably are supposed to spend on other things... now it might be an interesting idea to have state and county governments pay taxes, though... (to the cities, i mean)

Novine

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe that churches get a free ride on water and sewer and related utilities, just property taxes.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i should turn my house into a church

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The government enables religious establishments to be exempt from taxes as a means to encourage the vital programs they provide for their respective communities, i.e. community outreach, tutoring, spiritual guidance, youth centers, homeless shelters, free counseling, ESL classes, etc… These are all integral services that anyone can benefit from for free, rich or poor, black or white, and the tax structure should not be finagled with just to put a few more pennies in the already overstuffed pockets of our bureaucrats.

These places also have to pay their own bills too. No ones tax dollars is contributed to the utility bill of a church, which in the case of most old Catholic churches, is several thousands of dollars a month. And as far as taxing a church on a “per call/per response” basis goes… that idea is absolutely ridiculous and sounds like its straight out of the Jenny Granholm play book.

Lefty2

Post Number: 503
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lostsa tax dollars in the wings.

Jt1

Post Number: 10594
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And as far as taxing a church on a “per call/per response” basis goes… that idea is absolutely ridiculous and sounds like its straight out of the Jenny Granholm play book.

Why should my tax dollars support institutions that I do not believe in. Additionally considering the corruption and lack of involvement in the community of so many churches it is a stretch to claim about how much they do. The city has a lot of churches that line pockets of their clergy and don't do a damn thing.

Further coomplicating it is where the outreach programs operate. If they are not operating to better the community directly in the vicinity (which many, many do not) they should not be subsidized through my tax dollars.

You can believe the nobility, honor and devotion to the immediate community of the church stuff but reality is singing a different tune in many cases.

Many are great. Many are just thieves.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“Why should my tax dollars support institutions that I do not believe in.”

This is a good question that most Americans find themselves asking. I wish I knew the answer, as there are lots of institutions I don’t believe in that I’m paying for. For example, the war in Iraq or Planned Parenthood.

However, that’s just how it is. If you don’t like it, you can write your congressional representative or pay them a visit in Washington. I don’t think that would get you very far though. Furthermore, the problem with this is that the institutions you support or not the same ones I will support, and vice versa.

The bottom line is which non-profit organizations are promoting good and the general well being of the public and which ones are taking advantage of tax exemptions? You hinted at that in your corruption comment.

This, of course, leads to the larger debate of what is good and what is not good.

I encourage to explore this idea and visit a local church and observe some of the ministry they provide. You’ll be surprised by the difference they make in their local communities, all receiving no net income.

And when I refer to churches I generally mean Catholic churches, as I’m most familiar with how they function as non-profit organizations.

Jt1

Post Number: 10597
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You make some very fair points about tax exempt status across different organizations.

Maybe there should be more oversight to the organizations and churches to ensure they are deserving of tax exempt status. I just have concers about some of the places that make the preachers disgustingly wealthy and offer nothing in return obtaining tax exempt status. For those that contribute it makes sense.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 - again to refer to the Catholic churches that Detx mentioned, i don't believe that any priests (as differentiated from 'preacher') are monetarily wealthy at all:
http://www.jknirp.com/money.ht m

I can't speak for income for priests/pastors/preachers of other denominations (nor for non-Christian religious leaders) as i'm really only familiar with the Catholic church.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine,

You said "the state pays what is called PILT (payment in lieu of taxes) to local governments for state-owned land."

While this is true on paper, the State of Michigan (rather Michigan Legislators) has never fully, nor come anywhere close to the term fully, funded their PILOT obligations to any Michigan municipality for any state owned buildings. Talk to any municipality with a significant percentage of their acreage covered with state facilities (prison, university, etc.) and you'll likely find a municipality in poor financial condition.

Novine

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very true. I was going to mention that but figured that was more detail than most people cared to know. Places like Ann Arbor and East Lansing have long complained about this impact although there's undoubtedly a positive impact as well.

Lefty2

Post Number: 516
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.