Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Former NBA Derrick Coleman brings retail to his old Detroit neighborhood « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former NBA Derrick Coleman brings retail to the neighborhood he grew up in.
The retail in the Linwood Avenue neighborhood includes,
A Nike Athletic Store called the SNYX Sneaker Studio
A Hungry Howies Pizza Shop
A car wash
A Bill paying center
A barber shop and a laundromat
He wants to employ locals. He belives that retail is one of the keys to a rebirth to a neighborhood.
He done this before in Compton, CA and Chicago.
More information from FOX 2,
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/Sports/Detail?conten tId=4719027&version=1&locale=E N-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6. 1.1
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/Sports/Detail?conten tId=4721130&version=1&locale=E N-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=6. 1.1
I think if great someone comes back to the old neighborhood to improve it.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 319
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's not all that much. Detroit has that all over the place. Maybe if he brought a decent Grocer it would have been better.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beggars can't be choosers. Good job DC.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In addition to the SNYX Sneaker Studio, Derrick is developing a strip mall which will include a Hungry Howies, (the first in the City of Detroit,)

Not true at all, I can think of one right now on 6mile, and east of the Sfld freeway.

I'm glad to read about this development though. It's always good to see people give a damn about where they grew up.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, maybe it would have been better if he didn't do a God-damned thing for the city. Way to piss all over an honorable effort.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5243
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah name a street after Derrick Coleman, or Dave Bing or someone else who is directly trying to impact where they came from...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Not true at all, I can think of one right now on 6mile, and east of the Sfld freeway."

and one on Warren near Cadieux and one on Greenfield.

"Detroitrise, maybe it would have been better if he didn't do a God-damned thing for the city. Way to piss all over an honorable effort."

It's nice that he gives back to the city, but I've seen other people do bigger things for their neighborhoods. People have been giving Detroit these types of things for over 40 years. I'm just stating the fact aht this thread sort of puts out a deal of happiness over the same things.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 23, 2007)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, ummhh... O.K., yeah, I sorta see what you... no I don't. Never mind.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10577
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see what he does for the city:

Investment of his own funds - check
Create jobs for Detroiters - check
Offer business to people in the neighborhood - check.

Yeah detroitrise, let's write off his efforts.

I commend Mr. Coleman and wish that more Detroit success stories chose to help their old community.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no matter *what* the businesses are, it gives detroiters a sense of ownership. new developments are more likely to succeed when residents feel they have built, and invested in, an endeavor. hopefully this project will lead to greater growth in the immediate community.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 839
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great work DC. Thanks for looking back.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 482
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get it. "Piss all over" like what he did at Intermezzo.

Maybe he will open a beauty shop and a dollar store too.

Honestly, it is a good effort but he if he wanted to do some real good in the city he would build some homes or open a grocery store.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also a hungry howies in Warrendale on Warren Ave west of Southfield.

Every little bit helps...Thanks DC!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He still lives in that area too, doesn't he? I hate to see a strip mall replace what used to be on Linwood, but if it takes strip malls to revitalize it then so be it.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also a Hungry Howie's on Schoolcraft between Evergreen and the Southfield Fwy.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to go D.C.

CWEBB your turn.

<313>

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 990
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's investing $$$ in his old neighborhood. Providing more retail and services, and he wants to employ area residents. And people on this forum criticize it? Incredible.

How many well heeled Detroit sports and entertainment stars have simply turned their backs on their city?

But lets all line up to the new grocer that 321 and Detroitrise are opening.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6185
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ANY efforts to re-invest in our fair city by ANYone should be appreciated.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4250
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy deserves alot of credit for this, I hope it pays off for him.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess if he had opened a Cheesecake Factory and Sportszone connected by light rail in a 1600ft tall tower in the riverfront area and staffed by the homeless, everyone would be happy?

Until then it's a fuck you to DC's development?

Good job DC.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5248
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know ri...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 970
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise and 321brian

While the type of businesses might not be anything special, we're talking about a very depressed retail corridor. So, if you're so fucking unimpressed invest your own money to build homes or a grocery store otherwise STFU.

(Message edited by eric on October 24, 2007)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 881
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote IhearttheD: "He still lives in that area too, doesn't he? I hate to see a strip mall replace what used to be on Linwood, but if it takes strip malls to revitalize it then so be it."

DC still owns his old house over there, yes, but he also has a place next to me in Brush Park.

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This post is a perfect example of how this site has "jumped the shark".

First, DC is doing something that could provide service and employment to residents of the area. How could that be view as a negative? Maybe if this venture is successful for DC, he might have a phase 2 which would be a grocery store (which I think an independent grocery store will have a very hard battle to overcome the political and economical battles).
Second, I personally don't appreciate the F-Bomb being used. This site and the early poster could make a point, or joke, without resorting to crude language.

This forum has gone down hill since the last City of Detroit Mayoral campaigns/election, maybe with 2009 campaign starting up in late 2008 the site and quality of topics will pick back up.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DC should inspire his co-players to do the same in their hometowns. Every little bit helps. Detroit needs more loyalty that he shows from others....

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9881
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well done Eric. Put your money where your mouth is boys.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He should call the CarWash "Derrick Coleman's Golden Shower." That might be nice.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not a negative. He is attempting to help the city in a way he thinks fit. I can't even fathom what there is here is to criticize.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like a poster stated, he has also thought about opening a fresh produce market in the area and buying a lot of property. This is nothing but great news. We have a good momentum for development in Downtown, now its time to get that same momentum in neighborhoods of Detroit.

If you didn't have a chance to see it last night, here's the newscast .

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job DC.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course he has other plans to develop across the city. He is opening a slew of businesses in his first strip center. I'm sure he will observe which of these concepts are viable, profitable and capable in the current Detroit market and at that point decide where and when to grow. It is what most growing businesses do.

Just last night I took Jefferson downtown for the hockey game. Along that ride, you can see the two recently new looking strip center developments (South of Chalmers and the other near St. Jean) which make the stretch a bit more modern.

Is modern good, or is it pointless cookie-cutter amercanized businesses with your typical franchises and nickel/dime depots that flourish across our society? First, we (the people) have voted through and by dollars that we support these latter types of businesses across the nation and the globe for that matter. Goodbye to mom-and-pop candy stores and your local rib joint. Hello Walgreens and Famous Dave's. Now in detroit the citizens have voted in such stores as liquor stores, coney islands, dollar stores, hair/nail salons, cleaners (which thrive for some reason), lounges, fast food chains, check cashing and ..... again big business chains in anchor positions.

So is what DC doing a bad thing? He is developing off the beaten path. In an area that wouldn't see the light of day in regards to development for many many years into the revival. He's not opening any tutoring schools, grocery stores or family restaurants. He's doing pizza and shoes. It's what you, the citizens voted for. I think it's admirable that he thought of the city and his old stomping grounds especially. I also find his critics on this thread very misdirected. 321 and DR seem to imply that DC's efforts are in the wrong direction.

While he may not be opening any libraries, schools or grocery stores, he is still opening some risky businesses in a market that has stated time and time again that "I" don't have a ton of money and "I" am very price sensitive. Hell, he could have opened a Little Ceasars and slung $5 pizzas at anyone who blinked. Instead he went with a different image which brings a higher cost with a better product.

I wonder how the local population will come out to support the strip center after it is running? Will they admire from afar, or will they come in and spend? Will most of the locals have enough disposable income to support these businesses?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6193
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well put Tkshreve! And when it comes right down to it- it's Coleman's money that he's earned from his NBA days. Who are we to criticize what and where he spends it on?

Personally I hope all of his businesses do really well in those neighborhoods and it's the beginning of other deeper pockets coming back to the city to invest.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071027/S PORTS0102/710270329

Says something about a farmer market in his plans and has some nice quotes from him. Still not sure what could be negative about what he is doing.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 528
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS IS AWESOME. I hope this inspires other high profiles to come back here an do something about this disaster in the neighborhoods.

Berry Gordy would be big props if he decided to buy and rehab all the homes surrounding the MOTOWN MUSEUM and thus creating bussinesses on the blvd, housings and WOW expand MOTOWN MUSEUM. Donate money for the TEMTATIONS,SURPREMES statues in the middle of the BLVD.
Diana Ross, Smokie Robinson, MaDONNA,

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... a nice effort to bring some nice clean businesses to a depressed area and it gets met with negativity and rage? Geez, what WON'T people criticize on this site?

Good job Derrick! Thanks for still believing and investing in the city.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 151
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So for all the people that complained he didn't open up a tutoring center, grocery store, etc. According to a article today..."Coleman also gutted the former Urban League Building a half-block away and will open a catering hall and Sunday brunch restaurant next spring. The vision extends beyond those two parcels. Over the past six years he has purchased two blocks of property from Clairmount to Gladstone and wants to open a cleaners, farmer's market, car wash, laundry and Jack's Place Midtown, and teach inner-city youth how to become business people."

..."he is negotiating to have a weekend farmer's market in the summer. "

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not realize that his plan was bigger than just one strip center. It also appears that the businesses and concepts he aims to implement have an increasing contribution to society. One doesn't have to sell pizza and shoes to make money. One can also sell responsibility and business skills, prepare young adults for the real world and still grow a business. While this whole process looks great on paper, I know it is going to present a challenge to not only Mr. Coleman himself, but to the community as well. It will take contribution and committment from a great deal of people. I hope everything goes as planned.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Way to piss all over an honorable effort.

Hahahahaaha, awesome.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 738
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'm not pissing all over it as much now. Derrick Coleman is now on Mix 92.3 (WMXD) in the Saturday Night Live Program Block for tonight with Gerald McBride. He just mentioned that in addition ot the show store and hungry howies, two other guys want to open a Ice Cream shop and a Subway. Then he mentioned that across the street (renovating the buildings already there), he plans to open a bank in addition to the cleaners and laundromat.

By the way, the battle tonight is against The Isley Brothers and O'Jay's. A lot of Detroit wants the Isley Brothers to win, so does Derrick.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.