Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Rosa Parks National Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 628
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get the federal government to approve The Rosa Parks National Park. Paterson could teach Detroit something

http://www.usatoday.com/news/n ation/2007-10-21-landmarks_N.h tm?csp=1

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 303
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure I see your point. Detroit has more concentrated, natural greenspace than it knows what to do with (Belle Isle, Rouge Park and Palmer Park spring immediately to mind). It'd be nice if we had 77-foot waterfalls, but there isn't a whole lot we can do about that. Am I missing something?

Kronprinz

Post Number: 629
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your missing the fact that it could be turned over to the federal government, leaving Detroit with monies to spend elsewhere. And, look at the economic development that it has spawned in Denver and other places. The Rosa Parks angle alone would generate interest in the minds of many people who otherwise wouldn't visit Detroit.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that it would be nice if the federal government would maintain our parks for us, but why would they agree to do it? From the article, it sounds like the national park designation in Paterson is because the falls are the second-largest east of the Mississippi. I can't think of a natural feature of comparable significance in Detroit. The Denver part of the article didn't talk about national parks at all, just about a greenway project being undertaken at the local level.

Kronprinz

Post Number: 631
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The greenway project in Denver is a federal project. As to the lack of a comparable feature in Detroit, that's where the Rosa Parks angle fits in. Detroit could market itself as the national leader in African American advancement, and that would warrant a National Park for African American studies, or culture, or whatever. Think of a Washington Mall type project but with monuments to Rosa Parks, or Harriet Tubman for example. All paid for by the federal government but all benefiting Detroiters.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The National Parks Service already puts a considerable amount of money into the Automotive National Heritage Districts in Detroit, Ypsilanti, Flint and Lansing.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3526
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, the NPS is way underfunded as it is.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5551
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't there have to be some special or unique "natural feature" for a park to even be considered being added as a National Park?

It don't think that merely a waterfront site, playscape, trees, paths or fountains will cut the mustard, no matter what the park name it receives...

Even Mackinaw Island was decommissioned as the nations 2nd oldest National Park.

Kronprinz

Post Number: 632
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gettysburg isn't a natural feature, something important happened there. Detroit could make the case that something important happened in Detroit, important to the millions of African Americans throughout the United States

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to Patterson. What we could learn from them is how to duck when a gun is pointed at you...and we already know that.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2826
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think getting the entire Detroit river designated as a national heritage river is a much better project than a small national park. The river was designated as such by both the US and Canada.

I think this designation will draw far more federal money into Detroit and the region than the little park in NJ will ever draw.

It has already drawn money for improvements on Belle Isle, the Detroit riverwalk and the purchase and maintenance of the humbug marsh in Gibralter.

http://www.mac-web.org/Project s/AHR.htm
http://www.cooperativeconserva tionamerica.org/viewproject.as p?pid=643
http://www.epa.gov/rivers/98ri vers/detroit.html
http://www.tellusnews.com/ahr/ home.shtml

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cough...underground railroad...cough....

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cough....National Underground Freedom Center...Cincinnati...cough... ..

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone been to the Tuskegee NHS lately?

Last time I was there it was a double wide trailer in the middle of the airfield.

I'd say they need to focus on dumping money into what they have right now instead of what they could have in the future.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If historical sentiments were gonna save Detroit then "it would be like Paris right now".

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit could make the case that something important happened in Detroit, important to the millions of African Americans throughout the United States"

To what are you referring?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No more stuff named for Rosa Parks.

Please.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No more stuff named for Rosa Parks."

I second this.

If you want to stick to naming stuff only after blacks, not only does she have enough stuff named after her already, but there are plenty of better choices.

Compare what she did to what someone like Charles Drew did and see if you can tell me with a straight face that you honestly think her contribution to society was more significant or more difficult to achieve.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2991
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

except we tear down stuff on National registries...

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't national parks supposed to be named after geographical features of an area?

Stop naming things after people. Period!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.