Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Annie Lennox at Music Hall « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Edgar_rhode
Username: Edgar_rhode

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just got back from seeing annie lennox. great performance. she kept babbling about what an inspiration detroit WAS to so many anglos ( i know she's scottish ). but the most telling moment was during the final band bow one of the back up singers lost an earring. annie bent down to retrieve it and hand it back to the backup singer.

any number of other folk ( i imagine ) would have left it for the crew to pick up.

nice.

her pipes aren't as deep as they once were but she can still kick ass.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2974
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you read about the freaky incident she had in Boulder last week? A guy in platform boots, wearing a cape and a gas mask, approached the stage without being challenged. She bailed out to backstage and didn't return until security removed the guy from the venue, but they didn't arrest him since he didn't get on the stage.

She was not a happy camper that night.

On her website she blogs about every show.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6177
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always been an Annie Lennox fan. I've loved her stuff back with the Eurythmics days. I still remember to this day how captivating she was when they played at the Fox Theater in the early 90's. She had the sort of stage presence where you can't take your eyes off of her even if someone else is doing some solo in the foreground.

I wish I could've been at the show earlier.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How was the attendance @ Music Hall? I love seeing shows there.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6181
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Music Hall is a great place to see concerts.

The Wayback Machine here harkens back to when I saw Phillip Glass and Sarah McLachlan there and the acoustics were great. I can only imagine how Annie Lennox's pipes filled the place.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annie Lennox is babealicious, and I love the deep, smoky voice.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6182
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Ravine really use the word "babealicious"??

G'Lord!

Edgar_rhode

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we were in nose bleed seats. there were very few open seats around us.

lilpup - wikipedia has a note about the gas mask guy.

and i agree with smogboy. she has the same kinda stage presence as jagger. you have to keep your eyes on the snake dancer. ;-)

to another smogboy point. she did several numbers solo w piano. at one point she ( laughingly ) put her feet up and leaned away from the mic because the audience was singing along so well. she seemed honestly appreciative of the crowd and city.

a concert gem to remember.

Ravine

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy does truly know me well. It was notably out-of-character for me to use the word, "babealicious."
It was one of those odd impulses that I allowed myself to indulge.
At least I didn't say she is FOYNN.
But, now that I mention it, she is that, too.

Ravine

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, son of a bitch. I just realized that now everybody knows that I am a lesbian.
And I so try to be circumspect.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She wowed 'em in Miami last night:
quote:

. . . her concert offered excitement nonstop. Lennox led her appreciative audience into a clap-along during an R&B-inspired 'Sisters Are Doin' it for Themselves' with exacting instruction.

'I'm fussy about the offbeat, keep it tight,' she commanded, before going all Carole King on the piano with thick, punchy chords. Her fans felt the earth move . . .

Miami Herald's full review and photo here.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6282
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn... can't believe she's 52 and still looking like a sleek gazelle.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Annie here in North Atlanta at a new, smaller (2,500 seats?) Performing Arts Center this past Monday night. Awesome concert and a very diverse older crowd as well.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3108
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FOYNN? please to translate.

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think "foynn" was meant to represent the sassy way she woulda said "fine" out loud! :-)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3125
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

d'oh.

Ravine

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is funny.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5635
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Edgar_rhode!

You were in the nose bleed section? That would have to be the 2nd balcony. Music Hall is the only 1920's downtown theatre that had a 2nd balcony... lofty seating indeed!

Most of the other 1920's movie palaces downtown have/had a horseshoe shaped low lying mezzanine and a large single balcony. 2nd balconies were common in 19th century theatres and music halls, but are rather rare in the movie palace era of the 1920's. But then again, when the Wilson Theatre (original name of Music Hall) opened in 1928, it was a legitimate theatre, but became a film house soon after.

Smogboy... the Philip Glass concert you saw... are you talking about Philip Glass of Koyannisqatsi and Powaqqatsi fame? If so I'm envious! :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on November 02, 2007)

Lilpup

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lofty seating, yes, but still quite close to the stage, unlike in the single balconies of the movie palaces. The comparison is much like Tiger Stadium's upper deck compared to Comerica Park's.

And that, plus the excellent acoustics and never a bad sight line, is why Music Hall is fabulous.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5637
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I agree, the 2nd balcony is located above the 1st balcony, never too far from the stage.

Nosebleed section is what the back of the huge 1800 seat balcony of the Fox is like. Music Hall, with only 1778 seats, is quite intimate, even up there.

But in order to get good sight lines up that high at Music Hall, the slope of the balcony seating is quite steep and dizzying.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6308
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, the Philip Glass performance I saw at the Music Hall eons ago was the 1000 Airplanes on the Roof performance. And even though I was up in the aforementioned boonies, it was still an amazing show. The 3-D projections still looked great, even from that height and the music was amazing. The Music Hall's acoustics were superb.

The Music Hall has always been one of my favorite places to see & hear music. I'm still bummed on not seeing a strong and beautiful singer like Annie Lennox there this time around.

Edgar_rhode

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gistok - thanks for the welcome. i can't speak to the relative stage distances between the music hall and say the fox or tiger stadium ( to mix apples and oranges ) but it was steep.

checking my ticket stubs we were in section 18, row e. but as you, lilpup and smogboy atest - the line of sight as well as the acoustics were perfect.

and gistok your knowledge about the history, construction and layout of the classic theaters is a big plus . i have no capacity for that level of detail but i do appreciate it in others.

--

i've never seen glass in person. i just picked up his CD with the “candyman” soundtrack the other week.

i would love to see him do the “low” symphony, the photographer, mishima or koyaanisqatsi. ( and yes - i had to look up the CD for the correct spelling ). i can't get my kid ( or wife ) to sit through the DVD. their loss.

john zorn, glenn branca, laurie anderson and of course “big suit” david byrne would have to be added to a wish list of people i'd LIKE to see in one of those venues.

as detroit continues its resurgence i believe we will draw the last centuries avant garde on to our stages.

i just wish i had a better handle on who the current trend setters are. i'm getting a little tired of these “geezer” tours - as great as they are.

(Message edited by Edgar_rhode on November 03, 2007)

Lilpup

Post Number: 3054
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit show posts in the forum at annielennox.com, including Gary Graff's billboard review:

Detroit/Motown

How I finally met Ms. Lennox!

Smogboy

Post Number: 6392
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great set of songs she did at Music Hall. Now I'm REALLY kicking myself for not going.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.