Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » A Fantastic Neal Rubin Column: "Little House on the Urban Prairie" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the link:
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20071008/OPINI ON03/710080364/1414/METRO05

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would be nice to have some photos/drawings with that story.

Yes that's a great story. That is one of the sadder and scarier neighborhoods in the city, I think.

What the hell is this about?:
"Rules on setbacks have changed since the old days; the city requires 20 feet of empty space in front, 30 in back, and a total of 14 on the sides."
That is news to me. So, so depressing to have that sort of rule for what is really a central neighborhood.

This is why I'm interested in land-use and zoning law.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mackinaw; while that is a typical requirement, it is not the steadfast rule everywhere. it primarily depends on what type of zoning you're in (eg. R1-R5, PD, etc.); not all have the same requirements. this is also only applicable to the new standard lot size of 50'x100'. if you have a lot that's smaller than that, there is a formula that allows you to decrease certain setbacks.

they also require a compatability study. if you are developing infill properties where more than 50% of the block is occupied (with structures) then you are required to take the average of their setbacks and build to them. the goal is to replicate the character and feelings of an existing neighborhood.

the new code requirements are actually quite better than they used to be. [one of my favorites is that any attached garage must be set back at least 4 feet from the main facade of a house.] aside from design, the primary goal of updating the code was for safety: the setbacks are to allow firefighters and trucks access to at least three sides of any structure. this is especially relevant when so many residents are opting to close alleyways and rear accesses.

the entire code is available for free download online; check the city site.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2920
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/cranbrook11607.as px

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is already a thread on this already. I couldn't get the link but search 'Little House'.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3865
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, Rsa. I really don't even think attached garages which face the street should be legal.

6nois

Post Number: 547
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree Mackinaw, at that point that you start putting restrictions on where things can go on a house you are limiting the architect. Setbacks are a good thing and are important but beyond that I don't like communities limiting the design process.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Architects work with zoning and setbacks in every project, the solutions become the design and character of the building. Building codes are a way of insuring better design through certain restrictions.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3866
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They seem to 'limit' the architects (against putting garages on street frontages and houses behind huge lawns) in some of the best urban areas in America, with great results.

Any development is good development in Detroit, sure, but the city's long-run appeal won't be great if what is built here is generic and easily found in a suburb.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only things that truly limit architects are the laws of physics and their own creativity...

-rsa (RockStArchitect)

6nois

Post Number: 548
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Building codes to some extent do limit creative abilities. You can notice the difference between the generally lax codes in Europe and the codes in America. Europe generally has better buildings. Now of course all of this is generalization, and one can always work around things, but I feel the lack of quality in many American buildings is architects that don't use creativity because they can use building codes like a formula for how to build.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You can notice the difference between the generally lax codes in Europe and the codes in America.

I think you have it completely backwards. Building codes in Europe are generally much stricter than the US. Buildings in Europe are smaller due to the higher price of land and greater code compliance costs. The europeans put a greater amount of money into fit and finish of a smaller house.

European buildings have higher quality because of much higher demands from the users of the property and the stricter building codes.

The variety comes from them building for thousands of years compared to our 300 or so years.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The link to the Detroit News story doesn't work for me. If I search the detnews.com site, it appears as an archived article from Oct 8, which I'd have to pay to purchase. Any free links to the story?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Ok, never mind, I clicked a 3rd time and it finally came up after about 60 seconds.)

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2831
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Googling it. I've had luck with Google caching Detnews/freep articles in the past.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6715
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a good ideal to fill up the blight. Build up compact little houses.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they don't put any copper in there until they have someone to watch it 24/7.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there pictures anywhere? I'm not imagining good things when I think about houses built "largely of pale gray cinder blocks"

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I see them now. Anyway, I guess what I meant to say was "are there any RENDERINGS?" That new detnews site is awful. Unless there's just something wrong with this page.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.housingoperative.or g/

I too wish there was a rendering of what the final product might look like, but I have to hand to to those guys, they look like they're doing good work.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.