Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Brooks Brothers at the new mall « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walked around the mall with my wife on Saturday night , I went into the Brooks Brothers store . Holy chit , who pays that kind of money for clothes ? Don't get me wrong , the stuff was really nice - no zoot suits or anything like that . But ordinary corduroy pants were 248.00. Now the place was packed all weekend from what I understand . What I would like to know is , How many pairs of 248.00 corduroy slacks went out the door over the weekend ?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same people who spend that amount at Nordstoms, Jos A Banks etc... There is a market for that kind of spender. Me, I can only shop on the clearance rack at Brooks Brothers lol

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3587
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Thoughts of the new mall

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brooks Brothers isn't new to Michigan...

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A better alternative would be www.paulfrederick.com

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People who are shallow & vague probably bought those pants. Ive seen mall's like this before...You gotta love the prices in some of those stores, it makes me laugh to see what some of these trendy upscale sub'yupinities buy.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have a store in Somerset. Their prices are on par with Burberry.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3857
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brooks Brothers is not expensive compared to some other designers. It's a pretty high quality product. That said, it's still expensive and I think I have one of their shirts.

There is a store on Kercheval in GP Farms and in the RenCen?(actually that might be Jos A Bank).

...go non-Detroit or merge w/ other thread, though, please.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5079
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to their outlet on Kercheval and get shirts for damn near half off.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is a shallow & vague person one who hosts party to watch celebrity gossip TV, but doesn't really tell you when it's on, what you'll watch or where they live?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw - According to the GM Renaissance Center website, they've got both.

I'd agree that while you're paying a lot for a name, you're also getting a quality product. I never thought of Jos A Bank as especially high-end. It's absolutely nice stuff (actually, I just bought a suit from them), but especially during their frequent sales, it's very reasonably priced.

Then again, I'm not necessarily a good judge of what's reasonable. My clothing bills are embarrassing.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm bummed it doesn't have a Thomas Pink store. Still have to trek to Somerset.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"People who are shallow & vague probably bought those pants."

Great generalization. There is no way someone could want nice things, and still have a soul.

Secondly, Brooks Brothers is far from "trendy".

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 664
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're right. Both are in the Ren Cen.

Detroit retail mecca at ya

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"People who are shallow & vague probably bought those pants."

Great generalization. There is no way someone could want nice things, and still have a soul.

Secondly, Brooks Brothers is far from "trendy".

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love BB stuff. I have found it more expensive, but it is noticably better quality than the stuff you get at Macys.

They usually have deals where you can buy 2 pairs of slacks and get some money off. Or three dress shirts and get the same. they're still pricey, but this isn't nearly as bad as if you buy 1x at a time.

Not to mention their shirts are machine washable and wrinkle free. Throw them in the dryer and hang em up. And they last easily 2x-3x as long as other shirts I've bought elsewhere that start getting worn in the elbows and fraying around the collars.

Pants are real solid too. And comfortable.

Jos A Bank is a good store too, though i think BB is a bit higher quality stuff.

I've tried other places, but I just can't get over the ease of care, the long-lasting materials, and the pretty solid looks of the dresswear I buy at BB. don't really shop for casual stuff there, but for the office, I love em.

Don't really know what this has to do with the D. And don't really know why people want to spend time on M59/Hall Road.....

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6178
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now admittedly I do have a BB shirt & maybe a stray tie or two that I bought eons ago, but I've also had to curtail my budget a bit since those days. It's nice stuff, well constructed and at the time made me feel nice about the puchase (I felt so grown up!). Maybe someone wants to consider it shallow but I ask quite bluntly- aren't you allowed to spoil yourself from time to time- if you can?

Was it as practical as putting food on my table? Probably not but then when does one not want to have a few nice things in life. It's not like I bought something frivilous and neglected paying my rent or something responsible. It was a conscious choice I made to spoil myself for working exceptionally hard. I have no guilt about it.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 917
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

248 bucks for a pair of cords is a little extreme, but not everything at Brooks Brothers is quite as expensive.

I buy a lot of my dress shirts at the RenCen Brooks Brothers. In my experience, the $65 dollar dress shirts from Brooks Brothers are more comfortable, look better, and last longer than the cheaper dress shirts I have purchased from other stores. IMO, they are well worth the extra 20 or 30 bucks.

I am also a big fan of the Jos A Bank store in the RenCen. They have a good selection, and you can get some really good deals if you wait for the sales.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6180
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikd- I agree totally! Sometimes when one pays for quality up front for a dress shirt, they can outlast three shirts that you purchase for the same price.

So in the long run, what's the better purchase?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56Packman's rule of supply and demand--when you see something for sale and can't f-ing belive the price and ask "who would pay that?" there is someone out there who will, and does pay that much, as stupid as it may seem. Stores today are tuned by the square foot to produce the most revenue per square foot. If it didn't sell, it wouldn't be there.
Did you look at the tag inside the slacks? they might have actually been made in the USA.

Than again, maybe not.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 929
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it's true. Brooks Brothers still sells a few items, including some suits, that are made in the USA. It's a good reason to patronize the place. The Ren Cen store is nice too. It's obviously getting more difficult to sell American, though. The foreign made mix is much higher these days.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jos A Banks in the Ren Cen is a nice store. There is also a Brooks Brothers, although I've not been in it.

The Jos A Banks store is required by their franchise agreement to be open on Sunday. I have gone in there on Sunday almost out of sympathy. I have heard that on some Sundays they get zero customers. Hopefully they do well the rest of the week.

So for those who complain there is no retail in Detroit, and who have a need for these type clothes, give it a try.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 837
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah actually you can get more reasonable prices for like 60-90$ a pair.

BB has got great stuff with good quality. I've bought the stuff from the big mall stores and while saving $30, the craftmanship is much worse and the clothes wont last as long.

I'm always willing to spend a dollar now, instead of a dime now and a dollar later.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm bummed it doesn't have a Thomas Pink store. Still have to trek to Somerset.

Do they sell Thomas Pink at Macy's? I thought I remembered seeing a Thomas Pink section at one of those department stores once before.

I didn't know there were any stand alone Thomas Pink stores in Michigan.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3082
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BB is such a rip off. take a look at the jacket seams. see how puckered the material is? that $400 sport coat cost the store $35 (I saw the store invoices)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2622
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, go to the store in GP, much better prices. I have bought a ton of stuff there, great quality and very nice. Not trendy, but nice

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL - saw the store invoices.

That's not how chain retail works. The invoices don't go to the store directly, unless it's a franchise.

Now if you tell you me were hanging out in the corporate office, I might be able to believe you saw something relating to the actual cost of the clothing, although even that would be unlikely.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.