Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Visitors who leave Detroit enlightened « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Resurget_cineribus
Username: Resurget_cineribus

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This seems to be a growing sentiment among city visitors...

"I had always thought, 'Detroit. Why would I want to do that?' I went to the Chicago Marathon instead. But this was a fabulous marathon," said Vamvounis, 36. "The organization is great, the people are wonderful, and I couldn't believe how pretty it was when you ran through the neighborhoods with all the trees turning. I'm going to recommend this race to every runner I meet."

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071022/NEWS05/ 710220363&theme=MARATHON2007

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 836
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is gorgeous going through Indian Village with the fall colors.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 416
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if they ran the marathon further east down Mack or Kercheval, runners would think the same thing about how pretty the neighborhoods are?

The marathon, historically, has been well organized and the volunteers, as most people who volunteer, are always great.

(Message edited by dds on October 22, 2007)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wonder if they ran the marathon further east down Mack or Kercheval, runners would think the same thing about how pretty the neighborhoods are? "

What would you think?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That extraordinary weather at the Chicago marathon may have turned Detroit a real favor, in terms of the entrants who would otherwise still have been recovering from Chicago, but were able to run here instead.

My son drove down from East Lansing to cheer on his gf. He parked near the GAR and guided an Ann Arbor-based mom to the People Mover. The mom was there to support her daughter who'd had to abandon her run in Chicago. In transit between our first cheering station at Hart Plaza and the Michigan Ave split for marathon vs half-marathon courses, we quickly pulled the Ann Arbor mom into the Guardian lobby, which she had never heard of, much less seen before.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 444
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wonder if they ran the marathon further east down Mack or Kercheval, runners would think the same thing about how pretty the neighborhoods are? "

This same principle holds true for all other cities that host marathons. Why would Chicago, NY, Boston, LA, etc take runners through blighted neighborhoods? Why would Detroit? Why is it an issue? It seems it only is because we're talking about Detroit. :-)

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had friends in from Portland for the marathon. They have not been to Detroit since they were children. Their first remark to me was "What's up with all of the abandoned buildings? Why don't they tear them down? They make the city look like shit." Now before fellow forumers flip their shit and get all fucking defensive, understand that those questions were posed with tones of voice rooted in concern, not scorn. And their remark about it "looking like shit" is a statement of fact.

I know of one person, one, from out of state, who actually took his wife and kids here for a long weekend. One. Unless you have a family or business connection to the area, or come to the big, stupid rave in Hart Plaza, very few people seem seek out Detroit as a destination. And those who do ask questions like my out-of-town friends.

You can only milk the Guardian lobby for so long.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year I walked to the starting line from the Gratiot/375 area with a group of Clevelanders, and they said, "Wow, it's really remarkable how Detroit's coming back." I explained that I had actually been among those who favored keeping the old stadium but had to admit that the new ones were well placed to improve perceptions of the downtown area.

This year I picked up my packet on Saturday evening and encountered several sets of out-of-towners wandering around the west side of downtown looking for places to eat and looking ill at ease. But anybody starting that race who had last seen Washington Blvd. a few years ago would have noticed and felt a big difference.

I think there's a unique kind of tipping point engendered by the necklace-like street layout of downtown. For many years it has been intimidating to visitors. But if it gets to a certain critical mass of stores and restaurants, it all of a sudden becomes fascinating, with the sense of something new around every corner, rather than intimidating. I don't think we're there yet, but just in the last year or two I've started to feel the goal is in view.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand some of the comments but if one goes around downtown and " milks the Guardian" as the only spot to see , one must be blind. There are regular tours conducted that most people rave about. Downtown has many , many great attractions and the list is growing each year.. Ive been to Portland many times, some very cool areas in a great setting but like most larger cities , also saw some areas there that were not exactly 5th avenue nor were its inhabitants.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tear down "ALL the abandoned buildings downtown?" which ones... broderick and whitney are the only big ones left... the rest of the big boys have been renovated or torndown. all the other ones are no more than 10 stories (maybe the wurlitzer and metro are 15, i'll give you that)

Bigdada
Username: Bigdada

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking as someone who has worked in the service industry downtown for a long time, I'm happy to report that I talk to business travelers and other out-of-towners all the time and they are just about universally amazed by our architecture as well as the thriving arts and music scene we have here in Detroit (not to mention the food!) Almost all are also blown away with how friendly and accommodating the people here really are. The electronic music festival brings people from around the world (I've met folks from Japan, Italy, France and Germany there). We could use more events that draw in a crowd of young, hip international jet-setters. I think it's just a matter of time before more people realize what a fun cool city Detroit is and the tourists start pouring in!

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jet-setters? At Movement or whatever the fuck its called these days? Funny, most of the people I've ever met from other countries who come for the big, stupid rave are broke-ass alcoholics who either crash on someone's couch or quadruple-up in a hotel.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.