Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Where is/was burial mound on Mound Road? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Drifterlee
Username: Drifterlee

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always heard that Mound Road got its name from an Indian burial mound. Is this true? If so, where is/was the mound? Thanks

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4425
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mound Street--one block south of Regent Street by the UW campus--in Madison has a few existing effigy mounds left. At one time, there were an estimated two thousand burial and/or effigy mounds just south of the campus alone. The city residents during the 1800s to early 1900s mostly used them for sand to fill in low spots or for other purposes.

Today, a few dozen (if that many) survived. Even the builders of the Vilas Park Zoo partially cut into an especially large one when putting in a road or pathway there.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY-

Obviously these are in Wisconsin? If that is correct, they were of Hopewellian origin, ca. 700-900 AD. We have one remaining of three at Fort Wayne in Detroit. These mounds often were built next to waterways so that the spirits of those departed would have an easy path to travel.....

The white man desecrated many of these mounds on their way to assimilation.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told by an old guy at the Oakland County Historical Society (at the old Wisner estate in Ponitac on Oakland Ave?) that the burial mound can be found in the median just north of Eight Mile.

I've never found it myself but that what I was told.

In the (I believe) 1892 Chapman Bros book "Historical and Biographic Sketches of Oakland County" there is a mention of indian burial mounds on what would now be M-59 and Crooks Road. Sorry, but I'm a little foggy on the details. I do recall that even in 1893 the mounds were long gone. If you're interested in more info call up to the Oakland County Historical Society and ask to speak to the "Cemetery guy".

This guy is kind of an expert on old burial grounds ,both Indian and abondoned, in Oakland and Wayne County. He had a little team of men would go to old cemeteries and mark them. One such abandoned cemetery lies under Eastern Market. I warn you though he is the kind of guy that will really bend your ear with all sorts of arcane info. I asked him one question and got almost an hour of various digs he has been on in the area. He wrote a little book back in the 1970s about pre-historic peoples here in SW michigan.

Drifterlee
Username: Drifterlee

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, my grandmother told me the old Detroit City cemetery was under Eastern Market but they supposedly relocated all the buried folks. recently, there was some construction on M-59 in Highland township and they found a Native American grave there.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3211
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently moved into a house on an Indian burial ground. Check it out:

You wouldn't believe the deal I got on it.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've actually read info stating that the Indian Burial Mounds were on Mound between 7 and 8 Mile Roads. The Nortown CDC had a write up on this talking about the Norristown area (I believe that was the original name of the area). There are old maps of the area showing the burial mounds. Mound Rd. started in Detroit so it would make sense for the road to be named after something in Detroit, not way out in Sterling Heights or Shelby Twp.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5081
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone on DY said that there were burial mounds off of Bunert near Macomb CC. There were several along the Rouge River. I doubt any remain in the area.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.