Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 7 Wonders of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Resurget_cineribus
Username: Resurget_cineribus

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thinking if you had to classify 7 things in Detroit as wonders or things of great beauty or masterful engineering what would they be?

Here's my list.

1. The Fox Theater Interior
2. View from Coach Insignia
3. The Detroit Institute of Arts
4. Ingenuity of Detroit's Water and Sewage System
5. Michigan Grand Central Station
6. Scott's Fountain
7. The Fisher Building

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lobby of Guardian Building.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Start with the things that are firsts:

1. The oldest yachting organization in the Americas: THe Detroit Boat Club
2. The oldest rowing club in the world: The Detroit Boat Club Crew
3. The oldest freshwater aquarium in the United States: The Belle Isle Aquarium
4. The oldest motor sports race in the world: The Detroit Gold Cup Races
It goes on and on guys...don't get bogged down in the image of the moment of you want to speak of the "wonders" of Detroit.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 767
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cobblestone part of West Canfield

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stevie "Wonder"

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6165
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Beauty being criteria?

Hmmm.... right off the top of my head (in no particular order and obviously more than seven) are:

Fox Theater lobby
Guardian Building lobby
Detroit Institute of Arts' Diego Rivera mural
The grounds at Cranbrook
The sunset from Belle Isle
Campus Martius during Winter Blast
The Josephine Ford Sculpture Garden at CCS
The skies over the Detroit River for the fireworks
The view of Detroit from Windsor

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guardian Building - inside and out
Ambassador Bridge
Tiger Stadium (get it while you can)
Masonic Temple
Civil War Monument
Shrine of the Little Flower (are we talking greater Detroit - if not then sub St. Al)
Diego Rivera murals

They are placed in psychological order.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2969
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wonders OR of great beauty OR masterful engineering

The DIA, esp. the frescos

The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel

The Ambassador Bridge (world's longest suspension at the time it opened)

Music Hall (acoustics second only to Orchestra Hall (not counting UA) and great sight lines)

The current Renaissance Center as seen from the Riverwalk (the Wintergarden makes it)

Belle Isle

The river and all it entails

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on carptrash

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Historic Fort Wayne, especially the fort walls and the limestone barracks

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto_butterfly wrote:
The cobblestone part of West Canfield.

Tongue in cheek? Canfield was a plain old paved street until they installed the cobblestone in the 1980's... after the city finally padlocked the hooker bars around the corner on Third. There was a wonder: Anderson's Gardens.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Athletic Club, anyone?

Resurget_cineribus
Username: Resurget_cineribus

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lifeinmontage, the D.A.C. is a good choice. Walking thru the halls sort of reminds me of the White House.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despite the bad rep viewed by the rest of the world, the pride of the people that call it their hometown.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss andersons gardens

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Club

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3058
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what was Anderson's Gardens?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3059
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as hideous and ugly as it is -- the rouge complex certainly counts as a wonder

Ptero

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anderson's was a hooker bar on Third just South of Canfield. The city finally closed it partly due to community pressure from the Canfield Historic Association (that's probably not quite the proper name for them) which was (is?) made up of the homeowners along that block.

Skamour14
Username: Skamour14

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my only question is... how did/do you know it used to be a hooker bar?? Did you ever tag up the hookers??? For someone to know these things, you seemed very interested in the hooker. I live on marlboro and chalmers, come visit the block and well hook(er) you up!

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to threadjack, but Anderson's was one of the more famous "hooker" bars in the day. Vice would raid that place just about every other day, and I remember when I first started working for EMS (late 70's) that place was also a great place to get first aid practice as it seemed we were always being called in and around there to fix someone up!!

Karl_jr shows his age here!

Ptero

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

har. I never inhaled!

I lived on Canfield while at Wayne - mid 70's. We used to go into Anderson's to play the shuffleboard table and people watch. "No thanks, I'm not looking for a date."

When an undercover cop was shot there (not killed) the heat was on and we didn't go back. I was home when that happened and the police cars and copters were all over trying to find the bad guy who was loose in the neighborhood.

I also saw a lot of "couples" walking up and down Canfield...

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. The people. Have never meet a group of people more proud of their city.

2. Woodward Ave.

3. The fact that people are trying to save the old buildings instead of tearing them down.

4. Eastern Market

5. Worlds Largest Tire.

6. Unmistakable skyline (no others like it)

7. The fact that King Kwame still isn't in jail.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. The Ford Assembly Line and all that it entails.
2. The Diego Rivera mural at the DIA.
3. Belle Isle (regardless of the pad).
4. The original Hudsons on Woodward.
5. The Guardian Building details.
6. That big dumb tire on the freeway.
7. Berry Gordy and the Motown Sound's rise and historic breakthrough.
While I thought about this, I am sure that there are or were many industrial facilities that created "firsts" for Detroit. I just couldn't think of any.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you mention Andersons Garden you really should also bring up the Willis Show Bar . They kind of went hand in hand .

Ptero

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh that was it. Thanks Softailrider. I knew there was a second one but could not come up with the name. Quite a pair.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 845
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the Gold Dollar.

Let's see, seven wonders. I agree with many here. My choices in no particular order and all in Detroit proper are:

Belle Isle
Masonic Temple
Penobscot Building's Penobscot art
Eastern Market
DIA
Detroit Symphony
WDET

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also the Roxy Bar.

I guess my choices for the "7 Wonders" of Detroit include:

Masonic Temple
Sweetest Heart of Mary Church
Fisher Building
the departed Olympia Stadium
the departed Stroh Brewery
The Book or Sheraton Cadillac Hotel
The Fisher Mansion on Lenox

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My nominee for: 'Wonder.'

1939: "SWEETHEART BAR," Detroit's earliest known lesbian bar, opens on Third Avenue.

Source: Roey Thorpe, "The Changing Face of Lesbian Bars in Detroit, 1938-1965," in Creating a Place for Ourselves: Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Community Histories, ed. Brett Beemyn (New York: Routledge, 1997), pp. 165-181.

Do any of you youngsters know if the "Sweetheart" is still operating?

It was the number ONE "Wonder" of the forties in downtown Detroit.
(In those days, Downtown Detroit extended north to Six Mile.)
It had wall to wall, hour after hour music, dancing and just down right outrageous (but always fun) entertainment. Very titilatting.

The clientele was a potpourri of all the Detroiter's.
Slumming was a code word among the 'straights' but it was packed to the gills night after night.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.