Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Interesting looking cafe/bar on griswold « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its across from bazouki 2 , very interesting looking place. I didnt catch the name or go in. It looks like a place someone on here would own or know a lot about, anyone want to inform me?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

de-mongos, the guy who owns it is messed up man

Steelworker

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please explain it has like old school lamps and chairs and table and stuff almost like a garage sale. and it was packed full of people. It had CAFE in its name.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 316
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's called D'Mongo's Cafe. Don't know much about it though...

When did you go by it that it was packed? I've never seen it open (during regular or evening hours). The chairs are always padlocked down to the tables on the sidewalk.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D'Mongos opened sometime in the 80s. I thought it closed a long time ago.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is that the place on the corner of the parking structure? What is that thing? It looks cool, but last time I walked by it was cleared out... looked unoccupied.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 518
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok the family recently re-opened the place, but their very quiet about it, its open on friday an sat nites,, unless theres a private party going on. Staight up throw back to the hey days. they sell ribs an chicken dinners. The staff also wear clothes from the 40s an 50's. seems as though they are slowly planting their feet in an area soon to see a new refreshd life.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last night actually i was driving around downtown at about 10pm

Steelworker

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looked like a very interesting place with no cheese and plenty of character.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 598
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is currently only open on FRIDAY nights. why do you say the owner is messed up? i spoke with him while there a couple of weeks ago. his name is Larry Mongo. seem's pretty alright. from what i gather, he has plenty of dough and just likes to hang out in his own bar once in a while. he cones off parking every friday for "VIPs" (customers he likes) and will give you a hard to find detroit weekend downtown street parking spot...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5542
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, sounds like he likes to play bar tender one night a week... ah the quirky hobbies of the idle rich!

That reminds me of Marie Antoinette, Queen of France 1775-93. She had a quaint shepherd's village built amongst the park forest behind the Palace of Versailles. When she tired of the formalities of palace life, she and her attendant maids would play shepherdesses in the small village.

Margdar
Username: Margdar

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, what's the inside scoop on the owner?

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was voted "Best Bar That Doesn't Appear to Exist" by Metro Times this week in their best of.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I just read that. Bars like that confuse and intrigue me.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no cheese and plenty of character.

hmmmm sounds intriguing.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont want to start rumors on here but andy i'll tell you in person what he did to my friend

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.