Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Funeral happenings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently went to my father-in-laws funeral.
He was 84 years old and full of fun. He was a Navy veteran of WW2. There were fellow naval officers there as well. There was a 10 gun salute and there was an ensign with a bugle who was standing outside of the mausoleum. Anyway, when we heard taps being played we all thought that this was a great send-off for Dad until we discovered the 'navy guys' were playing a cassette tape of "taps". I thought that was kinda bodacious, impersonal and cheap.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

o ok

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read or saw something last year - there are not enough people to play taps anymore -

an off side tid bit - the man who played taps at Ford's funeral was from EMU.....Woody, and that is all I can remember.

The_ed

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No really, you'd think that someone could have played the damn tune for real. My wife thought it was disrespectful. Is that a form of lip-syncing or just no talent?

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Ed, I am just saying - I don't disagree with you - here are my cut and paste efforts...my dad was a WWII vet

The armed forces have 500 buglers able to play taps, but 1,800 veterans are dying per day. Only live buglers play the Arlington National Cemetery, the nation's premier burial ground for veterans, but honor guards at other cemeteries have had to scrape to find one.

The fake bugle has been used more often than the real one in the nearly 38,000 military funerals so far this year — more than half are still relying on the boom box.

Military services have purchased about 4,000 bugles, said Mark Ward, the Pentagon's senior policy adviser for military funeral honors.

Sometimes the families know and sometimes they don't.

"A lot of times when using the ceremonial bugler, we'll tell them beforehand so we don't give the feeling we are being disingenuous," Ward said.

Still, some people are determined to get a live bugler at veterans' funerals.

Tom Day of Berwyn, Ill., founded Bugles Across America to recruit civilian musicians to play taps at funerals.

"I saw too many boom boxes going bad, and too many reserve units and guard units not even bringing anything," Day said.

He's gathered 3,000 volunteers ages 10 to 97 who have performed at 36,000 funerals in the last three years — including 80% of the funerals from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Day said even a good recorded version sounds like it's coming out of a tin can, and cemetery workers have told him some of the ceremonial buglers don't even hold the instrument to their face.

"They should at least teach these guys how to fake it," he said. "I want 'Taps' played with emotion. It's played with emotion when it's a real hornblower, it's on their lips and played correctly."

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The honor guard at my Uncle's funeral three years ago played taps (for real) on a trumpet. It was beautifully rendered and their tradition and ceremony meant much to my aunt and cousins and our family. My Father and his two brothers all served in WWII.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the allied veterans council in port huron has 2 bugelers i think. its pretty difficult to get people who even play the bugle or trumpet let alone get a good number of them...

i was on the Honor Guard for 3 years when i was in the Air Force (base level) that covered from Sacramento California to Eugene Oregon from the coast to Susanville Nevada. we had 2 guys who could blow taps...

i did 13 full honors funerals and over 43 partials or flag-folders in about a 10 month time frame 86-87...

that didnt include the opening of the Cal State Expo, parades for memorial day, labor day, 4th of july, veterans day and other sundry holidays. there just isnt the manpower...

on a side note, im sorry for your loss. ive got an uncle and my dad both vets who wont be long for this earth...

d

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Taps", has got to be the easiest song to play ... ever. It's three notes.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually four, I think.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3560
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll back up Carolcb's claims. I recall a similar story. They simply don't have enough buglers for the job.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son is stationed at Ft. Leavenworth, KS and in the area there are at least two military cemetaries. When he first arrived and didn't have his regular work set up yet, they put him on funeral duty. He had to play taps. The bugle has a recording of Taps in the end of it, and the box fell out of the front of the bugle. He carried on as if he was playing it anyway. He must have been pretty convincing, because they all were congratulated by the relatives for such a lovely rendition of Taps and the whole ceremony. He said they had a hard time keeping it under control, they wanted to burst out laughing because the sound was on the ground.

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you are carrying this a bit to far. Isn't it enough that so many turned out to show their love and support?
Why don;t you look at it in a positive light and believe they played a tape so that they would not mess up your grand pa's last and final and not too mention utmost important party that he will ever have again.,

Damn, do people bitch about eery little thing?

Take it for what it was, a beautiful and caring final send off for the old guy from a group of loved ones , friends and fellow vets

damn

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IAintGotNoStyle... That is for sure.

Ed... Sorry for your family's loss.

But truth be told, the number of WWII era vets dying daily is overwhelming the supply of buglers. That the military sends anyone is at least a measure of respect for your Father-in-Law's service to our country.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my X wife's dad passed; one guy showed up and placed a flag on the coffin, and thanked him for his service. No Taps.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al you need for taps is a trumpet player. Contact The Detroit Federation of Musicians at, 248-569-5400.

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ceremonialbugle.com /Products.htm

99gprix
Username: 99gprix

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I don't post a whole lot on here, but on Friday, the 19th, my father passed away. He was only 57. Long time employee of Michcon, and owned a flowershop in Richmond, Mi. After the pastor was done speaking, he was sent off with the Michigan Marching bands "Hail to the Victors" That has got to be the hardest it has ever been to listen to that song. In a way, it's going to be real hard from now on to listen to that, but then again, it will always remind me of how true of a fan he was.

The_ed

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for your family's loss.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about your loss 99gprix,

I have similar issues with Danny Boy for the same reason.

Regarding taps, my nephew is an Eagle Scout.

He has played taps at two or three of our friends funerals.

Tough duty but very memorable.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny boy does me in too, sorry for your loss 99prix.

(Message edited by karl jr. on October 25, 2007)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Louis Armstrong's version "What a Wonderful World" turns me into a puddle.

Irish, thank your nephew for every Vet who's buried a brother, a father, a friend.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

taps, while only four notes, is actually pretty difficult to play on a trumpet. there are some notes that are quite high up there and you need the skill to reach them.

i'm sorry for you loss ed and i completely understand where you are coming from. i agree that it is much more respectful to have a live person playing than a recording.

every year for memorial day the high school i went to provided the top two trumpet players of the band (of which i was one) to go to every cemetary in the area and play taps for the local VFW chapters. after the morning was over we always got to sit down to a great pancake breakfast with the vets. the tradition of having students play was fairly recent and they always commented on how appreciative they were that we came to do that for them. it was much more ceremonial and personal, rather than someone just sticking in a tape and "going thru the motions." to a point, it almost recreated the pomp and circumstance of a traditional military burial that used to be provided for all, not just higher ranking officials or particular locations (the equal respect aspect). just my $.02

The_ed

Post Number: 352
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa - Thankew for that.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

99gprix, sorry to hear about your father. I retired from MichCon in 1999 after 30+ years there.

99gprix

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everybody. My dad at MichCon was in charge of Damage Prevention, and was a board member of MissDig. I think he was there 30+ also. After my parents moved to Richmond, they transfered him to Allen Park, which was just too far of a drive for him. He decided to retire, and had plans in a couple of years to move down to North Carolina. :-( I still don't think it has hit me yet, but it will. There is no person in this world I could have been more proud of. Best dad in the world.

The_ed

Post Number: 418
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

99gprix:
I'm sorry for your loss, below is a poem I read at my Dad's funeral, hope it helps.
---

If I should ever leave you whom I love
To go along the Silent Way, grieve not,
Nor speak of me with tears, but laugh and talk
Of me as if I were beside you there.
(I'd come-I'd come, could I but find a way!
But would not tears and grief be barriers?)

And when you hear a song or see a bird I loved
Please do not let the thought of me
Be sad
For I am loving you just as
I always have,
You were so good, to me.
There are so many things I wanted still
To do - so many things to say to you.

Remember that I did not fear.
It was just leaving you that was so hard to face.

We cannot see Beyond.. But this I know:
I loved you so - 'twas heaven here with you!

99gprix

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gnome. That brought a smile to my face early this morning.
Thanks The_Ed. Thank you everybody. One day, I would like to come to a meet with all of ya, and with my work schedule, that makes it darn near impossible. One day though.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry bout your dad.

The taps are played using an artificial bugle that has a digital recording in it. I see those all the time at firefighter ceremonies and such. The color guard that came to my fathers uncles funeral also had the digital bugle.

No, not the same as a real bugle, but its what everybody uses now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.