Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Berry Gordy Boulevard.... « Previous Next »
Archive through October 18, 2007Pffft30 10-18-07  4:13 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good to know, Pffft. I was wondering about that. Still a waste of time and money, but at least nobody has to list their official home address as Berry Gordy Boulevard.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we're just crazy, but I, too, would feel better about our having a street named after someone who spent money ON the city, instead of someone who made money IN the city and then moved to California.
What a bunch of air-headed, idolatrous bullshit.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 439
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on JoAnn Watson Way. 48202.

I was going to move into a nice bungalow on Tinsley-Talabi Terrace, but the property was so hot it was snatched up over night!

See you all at the gathering in Maryann Mahaffy Park...a short walk from the Rosa Parks Bus Terminal.

Hey, you guys remember when Coleman Youngville was called Detroit? What a silly name.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there still a "Malcolm X" Ave. in Highland Park?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Karmanos or Henry Ford Blvd.?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like it, motown deserves some props on the street level:-) even though motown had to move to LA to reflect the music industry trends, money

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 951
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see...Gordy created a sound from the plentiful raw material at hand, launched Christ knows how many careers, and influenced countless groups - and maybe some entrepreneurs. You ask people anywhere in the world about Detroit and you usually get Motown and/or Cars as a response. How many Forum members who are whining about this no longer live in Michigan?
Name two streets for the man.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Berry Gordy will be in town this weekend, although for something unrelated.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077101603 78

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this malarky, just saying

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5202
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the CoD, have for years and I still say Fuck Berry Gordy...

While he has launched many careers (in the 50s and 60s), what has he done here as actively as he has done in his 'adopted' home of Cali?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_stylin, why are trying to make a Ironic situation out of it?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5203
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No reason aside from the fact that I have never understood once I became conscious of a few things, Berry as well as his like minded mistress Diana who doesnt even acknowledge that she is even from here, as if the Brewster-Douglas projects somehow magically transported itself into NYC, other favorite sons and daughters who owe their careers to the label Motown have basically given the CoD their asses to kiss...

And just becuase they were stars back in their day some people here still feel the need to lionize them? When was the last time they have been to a school here or visited a neighborhood where they once grew up and talked to kids there? All I ever seem to see them do is come here to pimp their fans once in a while to make a buck then off they fly again back 'home' and give back to their adopted 'communities'...

THAT'S what I find ironic...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alrighty then, I'm going to leave that one alone.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 476
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate to do it but I have to agree with _stylin on this one.

Gordy left Detroit and never looked back and the city continues to kiss his butt.

If Motown had any balls they would move the HQ back to Detroit.

I think Detroit has proved that it can support music.

In todays day and age what can they do in California that can't be done from Detroit?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 659
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that we are naming streets that already have names, yet we cant name new streets...

example?

there is a new street between the port atwater and asian village parking structures near the ren cen. The new street (which is more like an alley), is affectionately named, New Street. Very nice

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on the other hand... DStylin may have changed my vote as well.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5549
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone in the Motown sphere should get rewarded with naming rights, it's Berry's sister Esther Gordy Edwards.

She pretty much built the Motown Museum to what it is today. Although I don't know all the details, wasn't it Esther who started saving all the items for the museum?

I say name Grand Blvd. "ESTHER GORDY EDWARDS BOULEVARD". She's the unsung heroine here!

(Message edited by Gistok on October 22, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm siding with Gistok on the issue. Technically, that part of the BLVD. doesn't even have a recognition name, does it?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just name it Hitsville Highway.
problem solved.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5574
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Name the whole city Hitsville. "The Motor City" is sooooooo '50s.

jjaba.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say what you will, but for those who were there, the unveiling was a great time. Lots of motown veterans, friends, and family on hand to celebrate with Berry.

I personally wish the label had never moved, but just the same, if it were still here it would not have kept the city together.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did he show up? Did he know?

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Gordy was there along with his pal Smokey, sister Esther, and many others.

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose Gordy should have kept Motown here so all of you could feel better about Detroit instead of making a sound business descision in moving offices to the music capital of the world. (L.A.)

Tell ya what, why don't all of you here at DeteroitYes, spend every last single solitary cent you have propping up this dying city and let your businesses go bankrupt doing so, then you can comment on Motown, not until then.

The nerve of you jokers, actually insinuating this man, that he or anyone involved in the motown record label owe anyone or this city anything.
The only thing they owe Detroit is a simple ass thank you and thats it.

And the door did'nt hit him in the ass, he hit the door on the way out and showed Detroit just what it was missing.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5229
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

STFU...

...with MUCH passion...

...now bankrupt that negative ass...

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on October 22, 2007)

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not the negative one . You don't see me sitting here talking shit about this man or a street being named after him.
Its you and a few others.
Now take my advice and put all your money(if you have any) into Detroit and save it.
Don't look to someone who doesn't even live here anymore to prop you up all the while demonizing this man and the empire he built .
Do it your damn self instead of bitching like a little ass kid.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5232
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok now I will extend this invite one more time ok?

Please....

....STFU

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, have any ideas on what to do with the little bit of money you have to help the city instead of looking to the rich man for a handout and demonizing him with words when he refuses?

321brian

Post Number: 477
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ain't got no class either.

Berry Gordy abandoned Detroit in a BIG way.

Gordy moved his extremely successful black owned and run business away from the city that made him tons of money and never looked back.

Now we are naming streets after him.

It's not right.

Detroit wants so much to attract new businesses to downtown why don't they go after Motown?

It makes more sense that a company like Rock Financial. It would actually bring jobs to the area.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ain't got no class either."

Thanx, never claimed to have any but obviously a lot more than a few of you on this forum.

"Berry Gordy abandoned Detroit in a BIG way."

Like I previously stated he does not owe anything to this city or anyone else.

"Gordy moved his extremely successful black owned and run business away from the city that made him tons of money and never looked back. "

There you have it. "HIS"
This city never made him a dime. If anything he made this city moeny and put it on the musical map.

"Now we are naming streets after him. "

No, "you" are not naming a damn thing after the man. The City Council is and rightfully so for his contributions to this city. Albeit, he did have to leave or face loosing his business but thats life and only a few assholes would hold it against him.
Detroit would be no where near what it is recognized for had it not been for him.

"It's not right. "

Its a %1000 right. This city owes Motown and Gordy, not the other damn way around.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5234
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Classless ass...

321brian

Post Number: 479
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are not from around here are you aint'?

I only work in the city but that does make me a taxpayer to the city but as far as the "we are naming a street after him" statement let me say this.

City Council is elected by residents of the city so in effect the residents of the city are naming a street after him.

I am curious what does the city owe Gordy if he doesn't owe it anything?

If Detroit owes Gordy something why doesn't it owe every white ex-Detroiter who moved to the suburbs in the last 30+years?

Detroit would be exactly the same as it is today if he was from here or not.

You cannot say that about Fisher, Dodge, Ford, Illich, Karmanos.....

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10555
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If Detroit owes Gordy something why doesn't it owe every white ex-Detroiter who moved to the suburbs in the last 30+years?

Wow, just wow.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you could bottle all this hate and do something positive with it, outside of an internet forum -- that'd be something.
At least the guy accomplished something in the real world.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born and raised, just moved to the burbs recently.

Thanks gfor the education on how a council gets elected but I specifically meant "YOU"

Funny , if you disagree with people on an internet forum you are either

a) a classless ass

b) not a "real Detroiter"

"If Detroit owes Gordy something why doesn't it owe every white ex-Detroiter who moved to the suburbs in the last 30+years? "

Not a damn thing, whites nor blacks specifically put Detroit on the Map, Industry did and Gordy was a humongous part .

Yes, our city owes him, not the other way around.

Detroit would Not be known as MOTOWN, nor would it have had anywhere near the recognition it has had due to Gordy.
You are wrong, it would not be the same.

This clown can keep calling me a classless ass but it is he who is truly classless and clueless which is why he shines through as a poor (financially) and unhappy , disgruntled person with a shitty life so he has nothing better to do than down anyone or anything he does not agree with.

Nice try.

Oh yea, and what's up with the fucking racism? Your shoes on too tight or your thong in a twist?
You need to drop that nonsense.

(Message edited by iaintgotnostyle on October 22, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 10556
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why on earth should whites or any non blacks for that matter patronize Detroit when its clear that the black racists target anyone non black for crime.

Word for word from 2 of Iaint's posts.

quote:

I lived my entire life in that shithole and my family were victims of many crimes perpatrated against us simply becuse we are white.

More Iant

quote:

You know nothing of me nor my fucking experiences in the godforsaken shithole you so proudly call home.

And Rochester Hills is not "all white" . While a majority maybe, the minorities that live here feel the same fucking way I do and as everyone else does,its a shithole and not safe for anyone especially whites.

More aint

quote:

You wanna be a pioneer? Then pioneer your ass off but don't expect me or anyone else to sacrifice peace, love, tranquility and a good life for the fucking chaos that thrives in that hellhole.

I had enough and so did the other 2 mllion plus that have left the city over the years.

I only wish my parens had left when we were young.

As far as being Paranoid, Im far from it. Im just not setting myself up as a fucking victim of crime and racism anymore.

even more aint.

I feel so bad for him. He has dealt with being the poor white victim of racism but is certainly dismissive of racism tha tblacks deal with everyday.

What a douchebag. Yep aint, you are a complete douchebag. Now please, tell Detroiters who they owe something to and who they don't. With your attitude you are certainly the authority.

What a f'in tool.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a dick. A total dick.

I am not, nor was I ever dismissive of any kind of racism but it seems like your narrow ass certainly is when it comes to whites being the victims.

You are a class a douchebag.

Jt1

Post Number: 10560
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like I struck a nerve. You say that you are not dismissive of racism but half of your posts are you whining about being the poor white victim.

Maybe you were a victim of crime for being a douchebag. Your attitude seems so enjoyable I can't imagine anyone would target you because you are a douchebag.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5552
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IAINT you've been probably our most bitter and negative noobies on this forum as of late. Just what part of Detroit did you live that caused you such negative vibes about Detroit?

...and your bitter feelings seem to permeate nearly every one of your posts... I've noticed this even on Non-Detroit issues... very reminiscent of Miss_Cleo... our resident metro Detroit hater now living in the utopia of Charlevoix.

(Message edited by Gistok on October 23, 2007)

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, excuse me , but as for Motown: Mr. Gordy sold it years ago. It is a New York-based subsidiary of the Universal Music Group. I doubt UMG would ever consider moving to Detroit.

(Message edited by missnmich on October 23, 2007)

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sounds like I struck a nerve."

No, I think I must have struck a nerve would'nt you say?

"You say that you are not dismissive of racism but half of your posts are you whining about being the poor white victim."

So being a victim of racist crimes and being white is not ok, but when a black person whines about racism against them by whites its ok,it horrid,horrible, how can we as a people allow this to happen in this day and age?

Nice logic there genius.

"Maybe you were a victim of crime for being a douchebag."
Sorry bub, never had any problems anywhere in the world with anyone except in my hood where I was deemed an outcast because I am white.
Yes, being called honky,cracker,whitey and countless other racial slurs while being robbed,burglarised amongst other things are racist hate crimes anyway you slice and its inexcusable.

"Your attitude seems so enjoyable I can't imagine anyone would target you because you are a douchebag."

You don't like my fucking attitude because I am blunt and to the point and don't pull any liberal bitch punches walking on eggshells so as not to offend anyone.
Ask me do I seriously give a fuck?
As far as my being a douchebag, you know nothing of me but I can tell by your bullshit postings across this board if it's white, it aint right.
Go figure, hipocrite.

(Message edited by iaintgotnostyle on October 24, 2007)

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"IAINT you've been probably our most bitter and negative noobies on this forum as of late. Just what part of Detroit did you live that caused you such negative vibes about Detroit? "

Mt. Elliot and Warren

And for the record, I am not bitter, just real. No sense in pulling any punches about my experiences with racists or why I finally wised up like 2 million others and left.
If you recall, my posts were in a Thread entitled something like, Why Everyone is Leaving Detroit.
Well, I explained why. If it comes across as bitter or angry then I apologize but its not.
I just have a sailor's mouth and Im to the point.
I don't believe in walking on eggshells to keep from hurting someone's feelings.
Thats bullshit.

Jt1

Post Number: 10582
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing that a city that never had 2MM people has lost 2MM people.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5254
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That means that we are minus what...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5579
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missnmich, listening to The Temptations rolling through Arkansas?
Motown getting it done down there!

jjaba, on the Dexter bus.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.