Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Chrysler trimming the fat « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler LLC could cut as many as five nameplates within the month as part of its quick and dramatic makeover as a newly private company.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/artikkel?Dato=20071017&Ka tegori=BUSINESS01&Lopenr=71017 0406&Ref=AR&imw=Y

I like the way they are doing things @ Chrysler these days with the new owners in this short period of time.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it too.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me too. this is exactly what these car companies need to do. Cut the crap out of the equation. More efficiency. Keep it sleek and profit oriented. Consolidate.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is exactly what a lot of companies need to do. You can't make decisions carte blanche when you are publically traded and have to answer to millions of shareholders.

Some companies are better off being private entities.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3136
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call getting rid of the Pathetica.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 482
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before everyone praises Cerberus for these decisions, please realize that some of these were made a long time ago. I worked at a supplier until recently. We were working on parts for the next generation Pacifica about a year ago. Very early this year (Jan?)the plug was pulled. Ditto with the Commander. It launched in the summer of '05 and was always intended to end in the '09 model year. I agree with the idea of eliminating some models. The Patriot, Compass and Caliber are all built in the same plant on the same platform and are pretty much the same vehicle.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The decisions to cut the nameplates were made only recently. It may have been "discussed" a long time ago, but we have a totally different management structure now at Chrysler. Believe me, those guys on the 15th floor ARE calling the shots.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Chrysler trimming the fat "

what, did the executives join jenny craig?

trimming fat is a part of a businesses surviving.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Patriot, Compass and Caliber are all built in the same plant on the same platform and are pretty much the same vehicle."

the thought on this is Toyota has the same platform for its celica, Rav4 and one other of their vehicles.

by doing 3 like this they have something for the dodge consumer and something for the jeep consumer. why TWO jeeps i dont know but that was how it was explained to me by some platform guys...

d

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette248 I stand by my claim that the decision to cancel the Pacifica was made by the previous regime. My only error was that it was late last year, not early this year. As the attached article says, suppliers were told to stop working on their products for the new version "CT" last November.
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/1 1/08/rumor-mill-chrysler-pacif ica-being-cancelled/

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"trimming fat is a part of a businesses surviving."

Sounds like common and automatic thing, however companies like the fat it seems.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Pacifica is highly competitive. I've always liked it an awful lot (and I am not a Chrysler or even an American car kinda guy), and it got even better with the 4.0L and the 6 speed auto. Was comfy, rode well, got decent mileage, loved the 2nd row captain chairs. Basically a very solid car I'd seriously consider if in the market.

Can't understand why they are getting rid of it, especially since crossovers are so popular and I don't think CJD has any other crossever in the portfolio.

The ONLY thing I can come up with is they are introducing the Dodge Journey (holy jeez this thing better not have the level of suckitude of the Avenger & Sebring on which it is based) and since trying to avoid overlap, they are killing the Pacifica. That is the only thing I can think. Even beyond that, I'm wondering if plants also went into this. I suspect (not confirmed) that Journey will be built at SHAP along with Avenger and Sebring, while cancelling Pacifica opens additional capacity in Windsor for the minivans, which then will probably allow them to shutter the St.Louis plant also making minivans. Can't imagine they still need 2 minivan plants. Put it all together and I can see it. But based on the Pacifica being crappy or not competitive, I can't see it that way. There has got to be more to this cancelling than just the car itself (which also fits in with the supplier story of the Pacifica cancellation coming out of the blue....they planned to continue then changed their minds for some reason).

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9879
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are doing a "great" job! Already, the marketing has been hit. BBDO lost their contract after 40 years to a company that bid lower. Guess where your questions and the dealerships questions are going to go? India!

So when you want that "american" muscle or that tough Dodge brandname and you have very important questions about the vehicles you will have someone in India who has NEVER driven a Dodge, who doesn't know anything about N. American vehicles, tell you what you need. Just don't ask any in depth questions because they won't have a clue.

Cerebus...slash and burn, slash and burn. Yeah, great job!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.