Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » McFarland Twins and Their Orchestra « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 622
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was listening to a Jack Benny radio show from about 1943 and his guest band was the McFarland Twins and Their Orchestra from Detroit. Anyone remember them or have any information?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Kron-

I've never heard of the McFarland twins, but was still able to find an autographed picture of them for you!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-M cFARLAND-TWINS-AUTOGRAPHED-PIC TURE-NR_W0QQitemZ130163953840Q QihZ003QQcategoryZ108721QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte m#ebayphotohosting

If you have an interest in old Detroit bands in general (real bands; not amplified rhythm sections), you may have heard of a fellow by the name of Jean Goldkette. He ended up serving as Musical Director at the Detroit Athletic Club, but only after he built up his resume.

Jean was a popular orchestra leader of the 1920s. Born in France, he was classically trained on piano before he came to the U.S. at age twelve.

Attracted to American jazz, he schooled himself in it's forms, then put together his own orchestra. By the time Goldkette was in his early twenties, the band found success. He moved to Detroit and was hiring soloists of incredible talent! Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey; Bix Beiderbecke; Joe Venuti; even Hoagie Carmichael.

Goldkette was a talented musician but also fancied himself a business man. At one point in the 1920s, he had "Jean Goldkette Orchestras" set up in nearly twenty cities across the country. His primary unit, and the one with which he usually recorded, was usually made-up of men from "Jean Goldkette's Book-Cadillac Hotel Orchestra".

At the bottom, I've linked a page from redhotjazz where you can listen to a rare 1926 Chicago recording of "I'd Love to Call You Sweetheart" by Goldkette's Book-Cadillac Hotel Orchestra. It's really special because it features Jesse Crawford on 'The Mighty Wurlitzer' and a Bix solo between 2:14 and 2:30.

Turn-off your individual preference filters and listen to this piece all the way through. This is to what America was listening and dancing in October of 1926. Here's some, by way of our boys from the Book:

http://www.redhotjazz.com/book cadillac.html

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c-- I've known about Goldkette for years (I'm into some pretty arcane music) and have known that Goldkette/Crawford disc for some time. Great to see another DY'er who knows historical popular music.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought for sure we've talked music before, 56. I've got a pretty thick stack of some real gems that go way back.

When's your next concert?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.