Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Road construction industry seeks government handouts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3808
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071017/NEWS06/ 71017040

Apparently it's better to tax Michiganders more than to have less road construction, says the Chamber of Commerce.

I'm sure that the estimate of 12,000 lost jobs is way too high; those are jobs we shouldn't even have, though, if they are working on non-neccesary jobs such as new road construction. It's not the taxpayers' job to give busywork to that industry, or to subsidize sprawl even more than we already do.

Plus they want that gas tax to go entirely to their construction contracts and, obviously, not transit.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What bothers me about this is that road construction crews are paid prevailing wages and, let's just say the companies are not too discriminating in verifying your resume/application information appropriately.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4368
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the sand & gravel, asphalt, and construction lobbies are happy if the state builds roads as they do with shorter lifetimes. Having them replaced far more frequently is just fine with them.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In most cases, the speed at which our roads deteriorate is not due to poor quality. It is mostly due to the high load limits our state has to accomodate the heavy industry in our state. There is more than enough road repair work to do without having any new road construction. If this money is going toward the expansion of highways like I-75, it is a poor expenditure when there are so many existing roads in need of rehabilitation.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3809
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, we certainly don't need any expansions. Repairs, like the much needed bridgework on I-94, are much more justified.

Interstates are supposed be heavily funded by the federal government, and managed by the states. Why not go back to that principle and try to get this $1 Billion from an entity that doesn't have a balanced budget clause?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10784
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asphalt is going to get very expensive, now that oil is approaching $90 per barrel.

European mix cement is looking better and better...that 'experimental' stretch of I-375 is still the best limited-access road in the state!

Match the load limits of Indiana and Ohio, no more heavy axle limits, we surely don't need 'em for heavy manufacturing any longer!

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our load limit is far too much compared to our neighbors I load many trucks with steel with 110,000 pounds on it and if i am correct indiana ohio and the rest only allow 80,000. Another shock is ontario i believe allows up to 100,000 pounds (at least thats the max load on a ontario bound truck ive loaded). But you wont have to worry about the load limit soon we are losing enough manufacturing that there will less steel trucks loaded to the limits. Oh thanks to our craptastic dollar with canadian dollar we have more runs to ontario now.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2950
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems the industry has forgotten that Granholm already moved up the dates on many scheduled projects just to keep their crews working.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.