Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Poletown losing a shift « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 809
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM's Detroit-Hamtramck plant is eliminating a shift on January 2nd, affecting 767 workers.
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071016/BUSINES S01/71016038

Definitely not good news, although they are scheduled to get new work in 2009.

Worst part for me, is that I had heard an hour before that, the plant i got laid off from got some new work, and I was in line to get called back. Unfortunately, we also supply D-Ham, so this would also affect us, and makes it less likely I will get called back. Gotta love the roller coaster ride that is the auto industry.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6689
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for Poletown

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and so much for the sacrifices made by so many who lost their homes, communities, and in some cases their lives, to feed the greed of GM, Ole King Coleman, the Archdiocese of Detroit, etc.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what will you guys have to say when they call those workers back to work? will you still be so negative?

so they're cutting a shift - big deal..it happens all the time...eventually, they will add the sift back, and later that shift will probably get cut again.

that's the risk you run if you choose to work in manufacturing. There are tremendous rewards considering that these jobs require little to no skill, but the downside is that you can have the rug pulled out from under you at any moment.

You can't opt to take that risk then cry about it when it turns out unfavorably for you. The $60 an hour you were being paid for putting in screws should be more than enough to make up for this

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is just short term.
the buick lucerne and cadillac dts are made there, good cars short of their 44ft turning circle.
this plant should stay open and get more products from gm in the future.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2680
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the buick lucerne and cadillac dts are made there, good cars short of their 44ft turning circle."

You forgot to add: "...and their abysmal fuel economy."

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

good cars short of their 44ft turning circle.

If you are going to quote a number, please get your facts straight. Their turning circle is 42.2 ft., which is competitive with other FWD vehicles having similar long wheelbase lengths.

quote:

You forgot to add: "...and their abysmal fuel economy."

Why should anybody listen to a "johnny one-note" like you? Contrary to what you spew, consumers consider a number of other things beside fuel economy when making a vehicle purchasing decision.

The Lucerne's 17/28 mpg EPA fuel economy is nowhere near the "abysmal" range.

Specs: DTS, Lucerne

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4376
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What became of the Jobs Bank? Did they survive in the two 2007 accords so far?

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I am remembering correctly, the jobs bank will exist. But, I think it has a lower time limit on how long it lasts for an employee, and also it will expand the area by which the workers have to accept a job. Before, any job outside of 50 miles from the old one could be turned down by the worker, who could remain in the bank. That's now either been eliminated or greatly expanded so that they're forced to go back to work.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What became of the Jobs Bank? Did they survive in the two 2007 accords so far?"

God let's hope not...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2681
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Lucerne's 17/28 mpg EPA fuel economy is nowhere near the "abysmal" range."

So it probably won't even get 20 mpg in normal day-to-day driving (we all know that EPA ratings are inflated)? That's very poor.

"Why should anybody listen to a 'johnny one-note' like you?"

You don't have to. But I'm free to state my opinion here, and as frequently as I like.

"Contrary to what you spew, consumers consider a number of other things beside fuel economy when making a vehicle purchasing decision."

Yes, I suppose there are there people who enjoy dumping a significant portion of their income down their gas tanks. Not me.

Wake up. Fewer and fewer of these types of cars are selling (isn't the whole point of this thread that the plant is LOSING A SHIFT?). There's a REASON for that. It's called high gasoline prices, and those prices will not drop; in fact, I predict that gas will cost nearly $4 per gallon by next summer.

The manufacture of these dinosaurs that get only 15-20 mpg (or worse) is hastening the demise of the US auto industry, make no mistake about it.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add my company to the list. Kenwal Steel Corp We as of today will be losing a shift about 35 people will be laid off. This is suprising because we lead our industry in production, and we have put other companies out of business. I guess it doesnt matter when you have NO ONE(gm,ford,chrysler) to buy it. I am lucky though I still have my job at least thats what 4 years seniority has for me. Its pretty rough in michigan. Our other facilities in indiana and our new plant in tennessee im sure still 24hours.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.