Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Gabriel Richard Institute « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 311
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the history and current use of this building which is is across from St Joseph's Church? I think it is on Jay street. I don't know what you call that style of architecture but it is very old and very rare in Detroit. That building must be at least 100 years old and it looks like it is in the original configuration, with no modifications or add ons like a lot of the older buildings like that I've seen around Detroit. It does not look like there is any "institute" there any more, just people living in apartments if my guess is correct.

Just curious.
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3787
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great question. I'm near there alot but have never ascertained what the building is now used for. You're right, it is very old and has an interesting design. Originally I bet it was part of the St. Joseph parish complex (too bad they razed the school).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.