Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old Tigers Radio Intro Song « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Enclosedin
Username: Enclosedin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am looking for the Introduction to Tigers Radio broadcasts from, probably, the early 60's into the 70's. I remember it sounding kind of like a marching band, with a nice beat...easy to win to! All my other quests for this song have resulted in some latter day fan offering, "Go Get 'Em Tigers," or "The Tiger Rag." Anyone out there who can help with this?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 842
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a previous thread. One of the members found the song and posted it on his own blog.
http://asaboyinmichigan.blogsp ot.com/

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Go get 'em Tigers" produced at Artie Field productions, located at the former Alhambra theater, Woodward at Boston Blvd.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3073
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got Go Get Em Tigers mp3 at home on my computer. I could email it to you if you'd like later tonight.

Enclosedin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kenp for the link to the Tigers March. That's the tune I meant. The posted song, however, is terribly out of phase. Anyone have a cleaner version, possible without the play-by-play? Thanks again.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 843
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It took about 6 months for someone to find that song. If you do happen to find a better version please let us know.

Enclosedin

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mp3 from JR is a little cleaner, plus there's the bonus of hearing the history of Detroit sports, radio 760 style:

http://www.wjr.com/article.asp ?id=402213&spid=16424

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then there was this one from the early '90s:

Remember Dizzy and Ty
Senor Smoke
The Bird
Stormin' Norman

There's Gibby and the Gater
Hammerin' Hank
Mickey Cochrane, too

Now Sparky's the same
And Ernie's on the mic
With Ilitch, it's a whole new ballgame

Talkin' 'bout the Tigers
I love my Detroit Tigers
(Remember '68)

Anybody have an mp3 of THAT?

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that, Harpernottingham. I remember that song from ads on the Tigers' radio broadcasts in the early 90s.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're on the topic of Tigers tunes, who remembers the TV show that Norm Cash had for a while after he retired from baseball? I wonder if THAT theme song is available anywhere? It featured Norm singing...

"I'm a swinger
and I'll swing, swing, swing
I'm a singer
and I'll sing, sing, sing"

I don't remember the rest, but it was a classic.

(Message edited by waz on October 15, 2007)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 828
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernottingham,
Here you go!
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/A P8TR_IxXodUhT_cdo3vmsK0CpBqexe 5tkb9Up9BsRpTM_gWjAU6pSVNqtFiE 03S3p6LV72QREuyHB3cBWyng-R3VP9 RP5fgqXrTZMo/Talkin%27%20Baseb all%20-%20The%20Motor%20City%2 0Team%20song

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If somebody had the Norm Cash theme song that would be pretty remarkable. I think his TV show lasted only one season.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ed g
"document not found"

Ed_golick

Post Number: 829
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link works for me.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We're all behind our baseball team
Go get 'em Tigers!
World-series bound and picking up steam,
Go get 'em Tigers..."

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, the link doesn't work for me either.
Any suggestions?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 831
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've uploaded the song to my server. Should work now.

Talkin' Baseball by Terry Cashman
www.detroitkidshow.com/TalkinB aseball.mp3

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for bringing this up Enclosedin. That is the song I always associate with Tiger radio. I could still remember every note of the song even after all these years, and I'm glad to finally have a copy. At some point in the 90's they had a good compromise, they started out with this song and then morphed into a newer song so they at least acknowledged the tradition.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.