Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Michigan Quarterly Review with art by Lowell « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was browsing John K. King Books a few days ago and came across the Michigan Quarterly Review's Spring 1986 issue dedicated to the city of Detroit -- "DETROIT: AN AMERICAN CITY". For those of you unfamiliar with this special issue, it is 400+ pages dedicated to history, fiction, photographs, art and poetry about the CoD. Really fantastic articles, even though they are 20+ years old, and great reading. Highly recommended if you can find a copy. Among the highlights are poems and fiction by Joyce Carol Oats, Philip Levine, and John Sinclair. Also included are fascinating articles about Jazz in Detroit, Detroit in 20th Century Literature, Woodward's Vision of Detroit, Henry Ford's Childhood, the rise of the auto industry, etc. and 30+ glossy pages of art images of the city.

A big plus is that our very own Lowell Boileau was featured on the cover. I really love this imagined view of the city. From the issue--
" Steeples and Stacks
by Lowell Boileau
Micropoint Acrylic on Canvas, 60 x 40 inches.
Collection of the artist."

Lowell--care to tell us a bit more about the painting and your involvement with the issue?

(Message edited by gsgeorge on October 15, 2007)

Clermont
Username: Clermont

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've got a copy of that issue here in my apartment in brooklyn. will have to dig it out now.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4265
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steeples and Stacks, painting by Lowell Boileau

I am just catching up with this as I needed to find the scan but in answer to Gsgeorge...

"Steeples and Stacks" [1985] was created as part of suite of ten large paintings entitled "Michigan at the End of the Industrial Age" in fulfillment of a Michigan Creative Artists grant. It was painted in the three color acrylic on canvas micropointillist technique, the same as done on the recent work "Open House" blogged on the forum.

It is an image of a dreamy world falling out of balance. Industry, faith and commerce are in perfect harmony on a perfect summer day oblivious to the inertial momentum that has taken that world over the cliff of the emerging information age.

Hence the blend of calm and tension.

Detroit: An American City was a great issue but the credit goes to the editors. I merely supplied an image for the cover.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.