Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit seen as a good investment « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 961
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, it's not for the most positive reasons.

The Cheapest Skyscrapers In The World
http://www.dailywealth.com/arc hive/2007/may/2007_may_24.asp

Fire Sale: This Weekend
http://www.dailywealth.com/arc hive/2007/sep/2007_sep_19.asp

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think is so bad. Most big cities have fast food dowtown. I think it is a sign that McDonald's sees that they can do enough business in dowtown Detroit.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 391
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This blogger knows nothing. He says that the Broderick is for sale. NO IT IS NOT! He also goes onto say that he only saw 1 subway and nothing else in the lines of retail or chains.

*JIMMY JOHNS
*CVS
*ALL OF THE AMAZING HOMEGROWN RESTAURANTS
*AU BON PAIN
*BEN & JERRY'S
*STARBUCKS- ALOT

The guy does not say one positive things about Detroit. Complete asshole. And from a resident opinion. I can honestly say, I can't wait for Mcdonalds to be downtown.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I think the takeaway point is that surprisingly to him, most of what you would take for granted in a city center is largely scarce in downtown Detroit.

ETA: Which kinda makes his opinion one that we should value more because he's pointing out the difference from one major city to another, instead of from Detroit to say... Troy.

(Message edited by iheartthed on October 14, 2007)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading both articles, it seems like his visit consisted of him taking notes while driving through downtown in all of 5 minutes.

He makes some valid points but at the same time he exaggerates invalid ones as well.

The sad thing about it is, people will hang on to every word of a negative story and adopt it as the truth, but will challenge a positive story. <--- mainly people not from the state or region. I hear it all the time.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2407
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of retail, did anyone catch this article on Model D that says that Andiamo Riverfront has become the chain's most profitable location, beating out even Bloomfield Hills and Dearborn?

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/DBIZandiamo11407. aspx

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 364
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

theres is a reason why prices are so cheap.
the rule in real estate that always holds true, know thy very local market area. research pays off.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the Broderick may not be for sale, we have yet to see any work be done on it, and any out of towner who looked at it would guess it was abandoned from the 2nd floor up.

The big points he makes are mostly true. If you've walked around Chicago or NY, then come to the D, you notice there are a lot less people and not a lot of businesses right on the sidewalk. We're also missing a main shopping district like Chicago's mile. That's why I always hoped Macy's WAS moving to the old Hudson's site to start up a district.

(Message edited by k-slice on October 14, 2007)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to Andiamo Detroit being tops.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.