Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » West Bloomfield wants a downtown to call its own « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071014/NEWS03/ 710140728/1001

quote:

For years, West Bloomfield politicians and planners have coveted a downtown like Birmingham or Farmington. A destination. A community center where people go to stroll and shop and just have fun.

In May, West Bloomfield changed its zoning ordinances to encourage a mix of offices, condos and retail in one centralized setting. In other words, an alternative to the strip malls that now line Orchard Lake Road.

Douglas Plachcinski, township planning director, envisions a spruced-up Old Orchard shopping center with a façade that at least looks like the building has a second story.

He'd prefer that Ramco-Gershenson put in a real second story with office space, to create more foot traffic and give the place more of an old-fashioned downtown atmosphere.

Hahaha...remind anyone of Novi's main street?

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 877
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not even. At least Novi's "main street" doesn't have 6 lanes.... this is dumb.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a tired strip mall on an overpopulated highway and call it a "downtown." What a scam. If they go through with it, it will be the biggest disaster in the townships history. They can come up with a better idea.
As a side note, I can't think of an actual township with a defined "downtown", usually its cities and villages.Anyone have an example?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2398
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree with you guys...this idea is much better than the strip malls

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at least they're trying, people. there's only so much you can do in these areas. trying to utilize the existing strip malls and converting them into more of a 'streetscape' is one of many options.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown? Head south on Northwestern Hwy, it becomes the Lodge.... keep going, get off at the East Jefferson exit. Feel free to stroll.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln,
Dundee and Plymouth come to mind.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops dundee might be a village, but plymouth is a township.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They already have a Downtown to call it's own (as all of SE Michigan), Downtown Detroit.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 204
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They aren't talking about a regional downtown, but one of those lil small town downtowns. It would be nice if Detroit was everones downtown, but some ppl prefer a small piece of the downtown life which is acheived by these small downtowns. They typically have one or 2 streets with dense retail and food service in buildings that have between 1 and 3 floors. The streets are usually very walkable and full of ppl with only one or 2 lanes of traffic going in either direction.

Some of the best examples in the detroit area are in:
Plymouth
Royal Oak
West Dearborn

Didn't Warren want to create one of these lil fake downtowns a few years back? What ever happened with that? You can't instantly create a sense of community, it has to be something that is built up over time.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love all you guys - and really do understand the emotional feeling behind "there is a downtown" - but you gotta remember there are lots of folks who don't have any connection with downtown Detroit for a generation or two. It simply doesn't exist on the daily radar.

This is going to be another little downtown to try to rev up interest in the place and prop up property values a bit by being cute. Nothing to worry about.

Save for this board, the sorry fact is that this region doesn't have the identification with it's downtown that other areas do - for a litany of reasons. Remember, West Bloomfield is 30 miles (approx) from downtown - not really close or practical to go to on a regular basis for dinner (the argument that such a well-populated area shouldn't be 30 miles away is for another day, another thread).

We are a region, (despite what the fiefdoms such as Troy want to tell you) as one of my politician friends says, "with no centre" - as for me, I'm all for making downtown/midtown that centre, but the reality is right now we are a region scattered to the exhaust winds of the freeways with very little that truly ties us together on a regular basis.

p.s.- I think Warren's still pulling it together... I'm not impressed with the renderings, but they seem to like it. I'm so a fish out of water in some areas... I'll never understand Warren, hates Detroit, yet in so many ways, acts like it in their politics. Probably, in my cursory conversations, because you have so many people who "fled" there during the white flight and still have that burden in their mind.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely a scam all around. Paraphrasing the article with its own quotations, one can see the scam: "West Bloomfield politicians [are]...hoping to create that downtown feel...with a façade that at least looks like the building has a second story."
In the world of architecture this is the most ANNOYING SCAM of all let alone for the people that actually have to shop there.

"at least they're trying, people. there's only so much you can do in these areas. trying to utilize the existing strip malls and converting them into more of a 'streetscape' is one of many options."
Well maybe if they hadn't zoned the TWP as 'suburban' to begin with, they wouldn't have the problem of needing to create artificial facades. They have no one to blame but themselves for the crapiness of the appearances of their strip malls. The TWP got what it wanted!

"You can't instantly create a sense of community, it has to be something that is built up over time."
Then what the hell is West Bloomfield doing here at this point? It's too late; we lost a generation (the baby boomers) to the suburbs! In the long run however, I am glad to see new generations' attitudes changing back to the urbane, but nonetheless West Bloomfield has already lost and BEEN lost in the battle.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 622
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OFten the plans they want for a downtown never go through. I have seen something for Warrens downtown that covered the surrounding areas and it stressed street connectivity and walkability...the usual stuff. It even had recommendations for that large parcel which is now "Heritage" Village! None of the recommendations were followed. It said big box would be a bad idea and to interconnect streets with existing developments. none of which happened. I have not seen Warrens new town center anyone been there. How is it I know that no businesses have built there yet....Oh yea Dont people move out to West Bloomfield for large houses and lots...a bit of country if you will though it is suburban. Dont create a downtown there West Bloomfield is what it is and it is doing just fine as that now in my opinion. I also went to see Macomb Twps first residential development in their town center. Located nowhere! It is dead there are all the streets and parks but only like 6 houses! When it is built it should look nice I think. But that may be a while. Why do so many "new" urbanism subdivisions still feature curved short streets that lead no place? Bring back the grid!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5516
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, are you talking about that "ring road development" north of M-59 (Hall Rd.)?

I too found that interesting. Dead is a good way to describe it. Businesses on the first floor and residential above.

And whoever said Plymouth was a township... you're half right. Plymouth, like Farmington and Rochester are all towns surrounded by townships of near or the same name.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 623
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok I know what your talking about. I just saw that for the first time over the weekend. Very interesting it looks like Europe. It seemed dead but I wish it the best. I am refering to Macomb Twps town center bounded by 25 Mile, Luchtman(currently an unimproved roadway), 24 Mile Rd. and Broughton Rd.

Gistok

Post Number: 5518
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha... yes that does look like Europe! I've seen new downtowns built in smaller towns in Germany.

Many of them follow the medieval style of narrow crooked pedestrian only lanes (but with buildings of modern architecture) surrounded by retail on the 1st floor and residential above. And of course there's a parking structure nearby, since cars are not allowed in these new downtown areas.

Gistok

Post Number: 5519
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an example of part of a new downtown in Germany:

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always think of the "Gaza strip mall" on Orchard lake (I think its real name is "the Boardwalk") as the official downtown of West Bloomfield, which was orchards and swamps when most established areas were building their downtown areas.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ Gaza strip mall...I've never heard that before

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 5291
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WB has a long way to go (hundreds of millions of dollars).

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the "Gaza strip mall"? Most of the stores in it are Jewish owned... Stage Deli, Dakota Bread, Rear Ends, Steven Franklin Optics, Stone Jeweler's, Hersh's... probably more as well.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaza Strip Mall? You guys are crazy. Have you even been to West Bloomfield lately?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, the Gaza Strip is about the least Jewish place on the planet. There might not be a single Jew in the Gaza Strip (there were once a few small settlements, but they have been removed). Maybe W. Warren in Dearborn could use this reference, but definitely not Orchard Lake Road.

This project is idiotic because it runs completely counter to the reasons anyone moves to W. Bloomfield. You move there to get a newish house on a large lot, for privacy and trees and for easy automobile access to stores and jobs. If you wanted a walkable area with sense of community, you could have moved to Birmingham or Royal Oak. The median price in W. Bloomfield is about the same as Bham and much higher than Royal Oak, so it isn't as if you couldn't afford such communities.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.