Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Harvard Square Building at 1344 Broadway « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked for info elsewhere here, but found nothing so, I'm asking. Begging really. Who was the architect of this fine building? And/or feel free to toss in anything else about it that you might know about it. eeeeeeeeeeeek

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always though this would be a coolest loft building.

Detroitsky
Username: Detroitsky

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was built in 1925 and it's 135 feet tall.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't able to find architect info, however, for those unfamiliar with this structure....

pic by Detroitblog
flickr pic by One Foot Over The Moon
emporis.com photos

Carptrash

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is interesting that no architect has shown up yet. Hinting to me that perhaps it's by Geo M Mason, one of the more under understood and appreciated of Detroit's major architects. eeeeeek

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5051
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the complete list of George Mason's work...I will have to look through it...

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carpster - good to see you round the neighborhood.

Here's an informative site:

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p= 477

I concur that this is an exquisite building.

It does not look like a George Mason. My guess-architect is Gustave Muhler, who had an office on the building's top floor. He also designed the Hurlburt Gate and the much lamented Immaculate Conception Church in Poletown.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2901
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i want to live in that top floor with those windows

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was supposedly being renovated by Heritage National Investment, but their phone lines are now a wholesale oil company

Carptrash

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So here is another clue, possible red herring, as to who the architect might be. if you look closely at the round bas- reliefs you'll see a figure of a guy with a pointy beard. I call him Pointy Beard have found him on two Crane designed buildings - the Film Board Building (or something like that ) and the - what is or was the Daimler-Chrysler building on Plymouth Rd. Pointy Beard both places. What what do you folks think of this as being a Crane opus? Of course it could just be the same sculptor?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6406
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carpy, I'm not sure if it was you planting a seed a long time ago or not, but I have always thought it looked like a Crane to me...

Carptrash

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, nice to stop by. In regards to Mueller doing it, well this is 30 years after Hurlbut Gate - a long time. Mason, on the other hand designs (or his firm does) the very Deco Detroit College of Law building (knocked down for Commerica Park), after the Harvard, so to me he is still in the running. But where's Patrick and his list? eeeeeek

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.