Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Holes in pipes at Fermi « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2920
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reportedly these holes were drilled in steam lines. I know these facilities are gradually restarted so it seems the damage would be found before anything got out of control - right?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2841
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damaging those steam lines would, in any case, be an annoyance at worst. it wouldn't dump radiation, etc. still, it's kind of scary that someone could get in and do that, and it makes my paranoid side think "what were those holes drilled to divert attention from..."

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homer Simpson did it!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ok. It's just Fermi II, not Fermi.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3041
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071012/N EWS19/71012077

"While the sequence of events that resulted in damage to Fermi 2’s steam lines remains under investigation, officials today have ruled out sabotage as a possible cause.

A statement issued this afternoon by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission said that Detroit Edison Co., the plant’s operator, has determined that the damage occurred during the removal of pipe insulation.

What initially was reported by the Associated Press as several holes turned out to be one, with multiple indentations “of varying depths,” the NRC said.

John Austerberry, plant spokesman, said it appears a drill was used to remove the pipe insulation in the vicinity of safety relief valves in the plant’s drywell area, which sits below the nuclear reactor."

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 162
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scrappers.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3042
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^LOL

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're now saying it was plant workers removing insulation.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4229
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hushed that one up nicely, eh? :-)

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 709
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I heard this claim, the first thing that came to my mind was....Someone was drilling through another object on top of the pipe and went too deep! I have made the mistake myself.

My father works at a power plant. A steam pipe ruptured one time and it blew all the doors open in the entire plant and made a horrendous noise. The plant is HUGE so you can only imagine the volume and pressure! Very dangerous stuff. Sometimes the lines get pin holes in them. Super heated steam doesn't produce a vapor so you can't even see it. The steam coming from the pin hole is under such pressure that it will CUT you in half! Literally!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.